Kendrick Lamar released 'Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers' two years ago today. Classic or nah?

Burned Verses

Superstar
Daps
Great album but what keeps it from being a classic is a lot of the plain lyricism throughout it. I'm not asking for quadruple syllable rhyme schemes but if you sit down & read the lyrics to a song like Father Time you'd see what I'm talking about.

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
I like the album.... wouldn't say it's a classic tho. Some of the songs I revisit frequently; the others...not so much. Mother I Sober, I hadn't listened to that since the album came out before the recent controversy. The album concept should give a bit more grace when providing a critique.

Ryda52

All Star
Daps
:yeshrug: Trash, not gon lie just cause I like the artist. Pusha had a better album that year as well.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's his weakest effort to me, and yes I rank Section 80 above it where Section 80 commonly is the last album on people's lists..
it blows my mind people put section 80 at the bottom.

absolute fire with 4-5 absolute classic kendrick tracks that i would demand to be put on a greatest hits.:wow:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
If you genuinely think it’s a classic fine, whatever. But I think there’s an issue with art discourse and criticism where people can’t discuss things beyond a narrow dynamic where something is either amazing/classic or terrible. I revisited it last week and while it def has moments, it’s a big step down from the previous albums. It’s…ok. Like a 7/10 or so to me, maybe 6.5/10.

Still worth listening to and debating, I just don’t think it’s great or terrible. And that’s fine. Most great artists have an album like this in the catalog. It’s cool that it has defenders but I hope more people can discuss things and say “it’s flawed but I enjoy it.” No one will laugh at you, it’s ok!