Kendrick Lamar released 'Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers' two years ago today. Classic or nah?

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Not classic but comically disregarded

Minus the interludes there’s 16 songs. On my condensed version I keep 12 of em

So the only bad/subpar/skips imo are:

N95- kendrick always struggles with that label forced intro single

Worldwide steppers- it’s just a weird song. No beat

Mother I and Auntie Diaries- way too forced

Otherwise it’s 12 tracks of A material. 12 of 16 is an album nggas would pray to have. But bc we’re so used to Kendrick albums with no skips this album being ‘bad’ got overblown

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
I dont think its a classic but its an excellent album on all levels.

Just the themes alone are incredible work....like generational trauma....you could see how the boy who wasnt taught to process emotions (daddy issues) has to deal with that later on, for example with his his girl.

Its a dope album about dealing with yourself and therapy and becoming a better person at your core and i think thats dope as shyt.

i listen to this album a lot.

hell maybe i do think its classic.

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
It's his weakest effort to me, and yes I rank Section 80 above it where Section 80 commonly is the last album on people's lists..

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Not classic but comically disregarded

Minus the interludes there’s 16 songs. On my condensed version I keep 12 of em

So the only bad/subpar/skips imo are:

N95- kendrick always struggles with that label forced intro single

Worldwide steppers- it’s just a weird song. No beat

Mother I and Auntie Diaries- way too forced

Otherwise it’s 12 tracks of A material. 12 of 16 is an album nggas would pray to have. But bc we’re so used to Kendrick albums with no skips this album being ‘bad’ got overblown
How is Mother I Sober I forced? That’s a beautiful story.

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
Nah and it's not because the subject matter was too different or introspective. That's a common misconception from people who disagree with those calling it a classic. There have been plenty of great hip hop albums that addressed personal trauma and provided commentary on their era, like good kid, m.A.A.d city by Kendrick himself. The issue for me is that sonically, Mr. Morale feels like Kendrick's weakest album from a production standpoint. While the lyricism is still top-notch introspection, I don't really go back to this album as much as his other projects. Musical it didnt hit the same way his other projects did. So for me, it's more about the overall listening experience feeling a bit disjointed and less fully-formed compared to albums like To Pimp A Butterfly or DAMN. The subject matter isnt the only reason I wouldnt call this a classic. That auntie and mother i was were tough listens as well.

areohbee824

Superstar
Daps
This does have a song such as Count Me Out I put up really high from songs he's ever released. I think its a really good album but compared to his others, not classic to me

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Really great album. Maybe not consensus cultural classic but still better than 85% of albums that get put out. It's a B+ sitting amongst the rest of his S-Tier albums. It is by no means "bad" or "average" tho. Some people are gonna connect with the content more than others.