Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta

Revolutionary

All Star
Daps
To Pimp a Butterfly review: "Possibly kendrick's best work to date, could be one of the most important albums of this generation"

This morning, I was given a unique opportunity: to hear Kendrick Lamar’s forthcoming album, To Pimp a Butterfly. While our official review will appear once the album drops—and we have had ample time to soak it in and truly pick it apart—we have some preliminary thoughts we’ve prepared for you, our readers and fellow Kendrick fans. Keep in mind that these are brief, first impressions and we don’t want to give too much away: this is truly an album you need to hear for yourself, so stop reading now if you don’t want anything spoiled. Production and feature credits are listed to the best of our ability, but there has yet to be an officially published list.
Please go out and support Kendrick Lamar and Top Dawg Entertainment by purchasing
To Pimp A Butterfly on March 23rd.
As the album fades in, we hear the crackle of a record and a distorted sample of Boris Gardner’s “Every N*gger is a Star.” After forty-five seconds, the sample abruptly cuts out and the beat drops: we hear P-Funk. We hear George Clinton:

When the four corners of this coc00n collide, you’ll slip through the cracks hoping that you’ll survive. Gather your wind, take a deep look inside, are you really who they idolize? To pimp a butterfly.

To Pimp A Butterfly is jazzy. It’s soulful. It’s (p-)funky. There are even elements of gospel and spoken word. It incorporates nearly every genre of black music and mashes them together flawlessly. Beats switch fairly frequently and each track bleeds into the next, making for a holistic, seamless experience. While it’s near-impossible to discern production credits, the hypnotic keys on “How Much A Dollar Cost” scream Dr. Dre (who also speaks briefly on “Wesley’s Theory”). To compare it to Kendrick’s past work, it’s more section.80 than it is good kid, m.A.A.d city, but it’s most certainly a beast of its own—and that’s a good thing.
For those worried about the album’s racially charged content, fear not: the majority of it is not as abrasive or militant as single “The Blacker the Berry” would suggest. It’s genuinely thought-provoking without being heavy-handed or pandering, getting its point across through dark humor (“Sneakin’ through the back window I’m a good field nikka/I made a flower for you outta cotton just to chill with you,” he raps on “Complexion”). Though it contains 80-minutes of heavy subject matter, most of To Pimp A Butterfly‘s production is relatively laid-back: other than a few songs (“U,” “The Blacker the Berry”), it’s not something that’s going to be a mood-killer at a party. Whether you’re a casual listener or the type of person who analyzes lyrics on Rap Genius, this album appears to have near-infinite mileage for fans of any degree.
Kendrick was already versatile in the flow-department, but he takes it to the next level even in that regard, with “U” being a prime example: he screams. He cries. He raps while drunk:

You ain’t no brother, you ain’t no disciple, you ain’t no friend/A friend never leave Compton for profit or leave his best friend/Little brother you promised you’d watch him before they shot him

The album is highly emotional, and Kendrick’s passion shines through on every single track. Even “i,” which got somewhat lukewarm reception from fans upon its release, feels vital in context of the album. It’s much needed catharsis after an album full of vented anger and frustration. If section.80 set the stage for the story of Kendrick’s life on good kid, m.A.A.d city, then To Pimp A Butterfly shifts focus to Kendrick’s place in the macro. It feels like the album Kendrick wanted to make all along, but didn’t have the means or words to do it yet: he had to tell his story before he could move on to the bigger picture. As previously mentioned, spoken word is recurring and incorporated throughout, and Kendrick uses it to explain the “caterpillar and butterfly” concept (how they are two sides of the same person) at the end of “Mortal Man”:

One thing [the caterpillar] notices is how much the world shuns him but praises the butterfly. The butterfly represents the talent, the thoughtfulness, and the beauty within the caterpillar. But havin’ a harsh outlook on life, the caterpillar sees the butterfly as weak and figures out a way to pimp it to its own benefits.

Kendrick crafted To Pimp A Butterfly too intricately to be able to fully deconstruct it after a few listens, and there’s far too much packed into this 80-minute record to be able to touch on everything (plus, we wouldn’t want to give everything away). But when all is said and done, To Pimp A Butterfly is potentially one of the most important albums of this generation, and more-so possibly Kendrick’s best work to date. You will not be disappointed.

Revolutionary

All Star
Daps
damn the biggest hacker in the music industry is now promoting tde to make his forum bigger :ohhh:

edit: heard that song again

poike9f.png

Jen The Prude

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Daps
Reppin
OVO/France
For those worried about the album’s racially charged content, fear not: the majority of it is not as abrasive or militant as single “The Blacker the Berry” would suggest.

:sas1::sas2::troll:

Not surprised. Kendrick forever giving foolish black fools crumbs while low key yearning for white acceptance.

Once again, always question black people white people overwhelming praise. There's always a sinister agenda.

Daps
uhhhhhh.... this isnt "paying homage" or anything, and idk who produced it, and im not going to go thru every single response in this thread but have any of u fkn newbs heard of mausberg?

this whole song is a direct bite....

and the maussie song is 10x better...

lol king kunta sucks....

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
After playing this song for a few days repeatedly, bumping it in different settings, this is some Disney shyt. I like the song but I couldn't picture bumping this around with the homies, actually none of these songs have that feeling. It's cool cause I like Kendrick and his music but I can definitely understand why people are saying this stuff is embarrassing. I and this are some corny rated G shyt not gonna lie. Blacker the Berry was cool but the message got lost because Kendrick keeps straddling the fence.

I don't know though I guess cause when James Brown was doing it that was him in his time, that was his era. When I think about these songs I think of Janelle Monae. Being different just for the sake of it. Trying to bring something back, instead of pushing the present forward. Who knows maybe the album will bring a balance and make the songs make more sense. I still like the songs but I see where some you guys are coming from.

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
That's certainly the most frustrating part, but honestly... Kendrick's just a terrible rapper. That's my biggest issue. His beats are pillow music and his overall flow is terrible.

I don't fukk with fraud rappers in general, but if I'm gonna make an exception, at least make great music. Duckworth makes weak music then covers it up with "black power" salad dressing. Which goes past "weak music territory" into "insulting territory"

People really having a hard time just admitting this. He has his moments, but hes a train wreck technically. He's all over the place, and his vpice is horrible. I still think a Mexican made Swimming Pools and Kendrick took credit :mjpls:

Drake may be a better rapper than this dude, and I don't even fukk w/ Aubrey like that.

Daps
was reading a nice article analyzing kendrick's flow, saying he had one of the most compelx flows wince andre 3000 and this is true. the transition between these rhythmic levels is on a level I have never seen before. While it sounds dope and basic at time, it really is very technical

Respect.

Icantspell

#freedaguys
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO FOREVER
was reading a nice article analyzing kendrick's flow, saying he had one of the most compelx flows wince andre 3000 and this is true. the transition between these rhythmic levels is on a level I have never seen before. While it sounds dope and basic at time, it really is very technical

Respect.
link

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
People really having a hard time just admitting this. He has his moments, but hes a train wreck technically. He's all over the place, and his vpice is horrible. I still think a Mexican made Swimming Pools and Kendrick took credit :mjpls:

Drake may be a better rapper than this dude, and I don't even fukk w/ Aubrey like that.

nah y'all just hating ass bytches. the type of hating ass fakkits that can only be found on thecoli :umad: