Kendrick Lamar doesn't want to be considered the greatest ever anymore

Stick Up Kid

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
Reppin
Newark NJ
this is cap

kendrick is a good rapper, storyteller and entertainer who could stand out in a previous era

a nikka like drake benefitted from a weak era, drake doesn't take over the game anywhere from 94-04

j cole benefitted from a weak era, this dude is not a top 3-4 in the game rapper in 94-04, his unremarkable music/albums wouldn't be anyone's top seller

Since 99% of the rappers today only talk about partying, lean and Opps.

Kendrick gets alot more attention cuz he's more conscious, he's credited more... not to mention the cac media love him.

Throw him in the 90s, u think he's still standing out with the likes of Pac, Big, Hov, Nas, Mobb Deep, Snoop, Dre, Tribe, DMX, No Limit, Cash Money, etc.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i think he's a great rapper IMO, but when i'm replying to someone calling him trash, we aint gonna get nowhere with us being on opposite sides of the spectrum, so i'll settle for the middle "good".

k dot is a very skilled rapper in any era, point blank. even during his run from 2010 to now, we've seen him be very skilled while also making very different music Section 80 k dot isn't untitled kendrick who isn't damn kung fu kenny...yet those very different projects kendrick was rapping his ass off. i can see why some would have the opinion of he's an better artists than rapper, i don't see how people look at his lyrics and skill and call him a trash rapper tho...that's just hate

He's a very good rapper. I think he focuses too much on his flow and not his bars (see his feature verses). If asked for quotables I can never think of any of the top of my head. That's why I can't say great.

His strength is in putting together albums. He's not a bar for bar rapper.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
He's a good rapper. I think he focuses to much on his flow and not his bars (see his feature verses). If asked for quotables I can never think of any of the top of my head.

His strength is in putting together albums. He's not a bar for bar rapper.
ehh, quotables never been my measuring stick. some of the best rappers are literally putting together entire verses/songs, you aint pulling a quote. while you got dudes like lil wayne, punchlines (quotables) for days who i feel like has never said anything cohesive in his raps...different strokes tho.

and IMO part of being a good rapper is all the elements coming together - lyrics, content, flow and delivery. we can have a totally different conversation about just lyricists, but i don't think pure lyrical mastery makes you a great rapper - you have to be above average at all of it IMO. which i think kendrick is

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Since 99% of the rappers today only talk about partying, lean and Opps.

Kendrick gets alot more attention cuz he's more conscious, he's credited more... not to mention the cac media love him.

Throw him in the 90s, u think he's still standing out with the likes of Pac, Big, Hov, Nas, Mobb Deep, Snoop, Dre, Tribe, DMX, No Limit, Cash Money, etc.
yes, because his mentality as an artist means he'd be putting in work to stand out against those dudes. I'd even port an album like GKMC directly back into 96-00 and it would stand out - that album represented a perspective of a lot of people who grew up in certain environments but wasn't in the mix like that, an album like that would stand out as back then, most the rappers were 100% on the preachy/woke side condemning certain behaviors or they were "the thugs/drug dealers/shooters".

Surreal

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
this is cap

kendrick is a good rapper, storyteller and entertainer who could stand out in a previous era

a nikka like drake benefitted from a weak era, drake doesn't take over the game anywhere from 94-04

j cole benefitted from a weak era, this dude is not a top 3-4 in the game rapper in 94-04, his unremarkable music/albums wouldn't be anyone's top seller

He couldn't match Snoop style or records back then

He couldn't see Kurupt lyrically back then either and that's just the West Coast
Matter of fact, Cube was at the end of prime then and Kdot at his best still couldn't see him

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
this is cap

J Cole would be so different back then. He’s heavily inspired by the golden era but he might possibly would be better due to actually having competition to keep up with as far as being an MC

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
J Cole would be so different back then. He’s heavily inspired by the golden era but he might possibly would be better due to actually having competition to keep up with as far as being an MC
cole makes unremarkable music, and he's not an elite MC. plus the 90's had plenty of MC's who couldn't make music/songs and thus they were never commercially successful. cole's boring music has been rewarded with ample sales and a top 3 most successful/popular of the 10's spot just because he dares to try to rap like cats who preceded him