Kavanaugh SCOTUS Thread! Senate Confirms by 50-48 Vote Margin; Kavanaugh Sworn-In

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Some people on the left are suggesting that if/when Democrats take back control of the Presidency and both houses of Congress that the Democrats should "pack" the Supreme Court by adding 2 more justices to counter Trump's justices (Gorsuch and presumably Kavanaugh).

Some people feel that it's the right thing to do. Others feel that it would be a dangerous move and further erode the Supreme Court as a "non-partisan" institution.
I wouldn’t even go with two.

I’d place 10 new justices on the court for two reasons. One, fukk the Republicans. The second, and fair reason is to get rid of each nomination being a fight to the death. The court is hyper partisan because there are only 9 seats. If you have a lot of justices, each seat lessens in importance.

blotter

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Funny how you're advocating packing the court (or should I say "expanding" it? :dry:)- an action that was seen as unreasonable, but you say it's the Republicans that can't be reasoned with. You don't like losing and want to change the rules, is that reasonable?
Wake up, dummy. Who was the last justices to be appointed with a simple majority of the Senate and not 60+ before gorsuch?

Republicans are blowing up norms left and right

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
I wouldn’t even go with two.

I’d place 10 new justices on the court for two reasons. One, fukk the Republicans. The second, and fair reason is to get rid of each nomination being a fight to the death. The court is hyper partisan because there are only 9 seats. If you have a lot of justices, each seat lessens in importance.
There shouldn't be an even number of justices. The number of SC justices should either be 9 (the current number), 11 (proposed court packing number) or 7.

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Republicans are blowing up norms left and right

Breh, there's bucking norms and there's bucking norms. I oppose this one- and not just if the Dems do it. There's nothing stopping Trump from packing the courts right now, and I'd oppose that too. We don't need more justices- or less. Dems need to win elections.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Breh, there's bucking norms and there's bucking norms. I oppose this one- and not just if the Dems do it. There's nothing stopping Trump from packing the courts right now, and I'd oppose that too. We don't need more justices- or less. Dems need to win elections.
ah
Lives are on the line
Got to be the devil to beat the devil

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
The Dems have a lot riding on this. The court of public opinion is in their favor but if this turns out to be another Corey Booker "I've got emails" situation..........:francis:

It was actually good strategy by the Dems to sit on this information though. If it came out in July the GOP probably would have dispensed with Kavanaugh and replaced him with Amy Barrett with still more than enough time to get her in prior to the midterms. Now the GOP is forced to ride the Kavanaugh Caravan to the bitter end (or confirmation). Do be careful about overestimating the potential for political fallout if they do rush him through. Remember the 53%.