Kavanaugh SCOTUS Thread! Senate Confirms by 50-48 Vote Margin; Kavanaugh Sworn-In

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I really don't care if Trump is indicted while in office or not, or indicted at all, though I think he is guilty on some level, most levels....What is important is he is out of office in 2020. That is what I focus on. That said, I have no love or regard for any of these conservatives, they are all monstrous, either in actuality or in belief. They enable monsters, they are themselves the same thing.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Brett Kavanaugh, Donald Trump’s Supreme Court pick, explained

Kavanaugh has also ruled in favor of the National Security Agency’s expansive call record surveillance operation, arguing that collecting these records did not constitute a “search,” and that even if it did, the government can take such records if it has a “special need” to prevent terrorism, even if this burdens the constitutional rights of those searched. That’s a truly expansive rationale that makes even many conservatives uneasy. He also worked to limit challenges to detention for terror suspects, and recently wrote that he thinks the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is unconstitutional on separation of powers grounds.

His views on executive power may continue to worry liberals as the Robert Mueller investigation unfolds. In a 1998 Georgetown Law Journal article titled, “The President and the Independent Counsel,” written shortly after his service to Starr, Kavanaugh wrote that the independent counsel should be appointed by the president and approved by Congress, not by a panel of judges, to shore up the position’s constitutionality. This would have somewhat weakened the position’s independence relative to the executive; the independent counsel statute has since lapsed and the position no longer exists.

Further, he wrote that, “Congress should establish that the President can be indicted only after he leaves office voluntarily or is impeached by the House of Representatives and convicted and removed by the Senate” and that Congress should bar the President from claiming executive privilege and refusing to divulge information in criminal cases, except as a matter of national security.

“The proposals would enhance the public credibility of special counsel investigations, reduce the inherent tension between the President and the special counsel, and better enable a special counsel to conduct a thorough and effective law enforcement investigation of executive branch wrongdoing,” Kavanaugh concluded.

In 2009, he went further and argued that the president should be exempted from both criminal prosecution and civil suits while in office, arguing that the latter should be delayed until he leaves the presidency:

A … possible concern is that the country needs a check against a bad-behaving or law-breaking President. But the Constitution already provides that check. If the President does something dastardly, the impeachment process is available. No single prosecutor, judge, or jury should be able to accomplish what the Constitution assigns to the Congress. … The President’s job is difficult enough as is. And the country loses when the President’s focus is distracted by the burdens of civil litigation or criminal investigation and possible prosecution.

http://www.minnesotalawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Kavanaugh_MLR.pdf

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
He wrote this

"Even the lesser burdens of a criminal investigation— including preparing for questioning by criminal investigators — are time-consuming and distracting. Like civil suits, criminal investigations take the President's focus away from his or her responsibilities to the people. And a President who is concerned about an ongoing criminal investigation is almost inevitably going to do a worse job as President."

:francis:

Trump doesn’t give a fukk about Roe V Wade at this point. He wants someone who can potentially block Mueller.
fukk all yall that let this man win :mjlol: he picking nikkas who can save his job over the effect they'll have over the next 4 decades :dead:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
“while the President is in office. The result the Supreme Court reached in Clinton v. Jones27—that presidents are not constitu- tionally entitled to deferral of civil suits—may well have been entirely correct; that is beyond the scope of this inquiry. But the Court in Jones stated that Congress is free to provide a temporary deferral of civil suits while the President is in of- fice.28 Congress may be wise to do so, just as it has done for cer- tain members of the military.29 Deferral would allow the Presi- dent to focus on the vital duties he was elected to perform.

Congress should consider doing the same, moreover, with respect to criminal investigations and prosecutions of the Pres- ident.30 In particular, Congress might consider a law exempting a President—while in office—from criminal prosecution and in- vestigation, including from questioning by criminal prosecutors or defense counsel. Criminal investigations targeted at or re- volving around a President are inevitably politicized by both their supporters and critics. As I have written before, “no At- torney General or special counsel will have the necessary credi- bility to avoid the inevitable charges that he is politically moti- vated—whether in favor of the President or against him, depending on the individual leading the investigation and its results.”31 The indictment and trial of a sitting President, moreover, would cripple the federal government, rendering it unable to function with credibility in either the international or domestic arenas. Such an outcome would ill serve the public in- terest, especially in times of financial or national security cri- sis.

Even the lesser burdens of a criminal investigation— including preparing for questioning by criminal investigators— are time-consuming and distracting. Like civil suits, criminal investigations take the President’s focus away from his or her responsibilities to the people. And a President who is concerned about an ongoing criminal investigation is almost inevitably going to do a worse job as President.”

http://www.minnesotalawreview.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Kavanaugh_MLR.pdf

:wow:

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Both Trump and this Saul Goodman-looking creep really laying it on thick talking about upholding the law and equality :comeon:

Can only imagine the horrors of evil shyt he agreed to endorse in order to get this nomination from Agent Orange :huhldup:

:russ:

It’s obvious what Cavanaugh is gonna be. Just another right winger who will rule in favor of the rich and powerful interests over regular people.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Seems like this guy shouldn't have been a judge in the first place but democrats folded and finally confirmed him in 06. He is wildly partisan.

Not a fan of this. I would have preferred someone like Kennedy on there to quasi maintain the status quo

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
Yup.

Gay Marriage and the voting rights act probably next in the near future

No time like the present.

Section 2 of the VRA was pretty much dismantled by Abbott v Perez...

Husted v. Randolph will provide the framework on how voter rolls will be purged by GOP controlled states from here on out...

The next SCOTUS will be more conservative partisan than the one that just made these rulings.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
:mjlol:

Shall I venture into TLR and see what HYONset is saying?

Probably something like:

• They're locking black people up anyway
  • But but but Obama
  • I don't vote so it doesn't matter
  • Amerikkka
  • Something about mexicans
  • Tariq said...

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Seems like this guy shouldn't have been a judge in the first place but democrats folded and finally confirmed him in 06. He is wildly partisan.

Not a fan of this. I would have preferred someone like Kennedy on there to quasi maintain the status quo
Hmm? Republicans had a majority in 2006, and he only had to meet a simple majority vote for confirmation. What are you talking about?

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps
:mjlol:

Shall I venture into TLR and see what HYONset is saying?

Probably something like:

• They're locking black people up anyway
  • But but but Obama
  • I don't vote so it doesn't matter
  • Amerikkka
  • Something about mexicans
  • Tariq said...
Honestly TLR militants are agents just like alt right/Russian trolls at this point.