KANYE WEST IS A TOP 5 MUSICIAN OF ALL TIME!

T.H.E. Goat

On the road to riches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where The Grass Is Blue
what classics?
Graduation is definitely a classic, shifted the culture

808's And Heartbreak is classic too, even though I wouldn't listen to it again...but it shifted the culture also

Yeezus would've been a classic in my opinion if he didn't go too far left and added a few more hip hop sounding songs

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Graduation is definitely a classic, shifted the culture

808's And Heartbreak is classic too, even though I wouldn't listen to it again...but it shifted the culture also

Yeezus would've been a classic in my opinion if he didn't go too far left and added a few more hip hop sounding songs

shifted the culture how? and regardless, theres plenty of album that really did shift the culture, but weren't close to being classic.

and if something is a classic, then you wouldn't be following it up with "though I wouldn't listen to it again".

Kanye had 3 or 4 very good albums.

ILLMMORTAL

THE ILLEST
Daps
Reppin
THE MOST OUTTER REACHES OF THE COSMOS
giphy.gif

Don't be ridiculous!

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I dunno, Saul Williams is pretty dope on the piano though.

He can also play guitar and the "The Rise & Liberation of Niggy Tardust" >>>>>> Yeezus
Trent Reznor got Yeezy beat on the dark and foreboding front.

And Pen game wise I'd take Saul over any ghost writer Ye can call up. :yeshrug:

closest to prog rock rap will ever get

and is more enjoyable than most of the true genre tbh
I'd rather just listen to actual legit progressive Hip-Hop or post Hip-Hop soul music (Neo-Soul,Acid Jazz)

Flylo (even though people consider him "eletronica" now"), Glasper, Hiatus Kaiyote, Terrace Martin etc.
Borrow heavily from Dilla and include Jazz harmony, essentially they all make fusion to varying degrees.
And I'd wager they stand up to Prog Rock pretty easily and/or eclipse it.
At least Glasper does when he lets go of the "Fusion" and goes into full on Post-Bop.

Remember back when Ye had just dropped MBDTF and US magazine mentioned to Quincy Jones that people were comparing Kanye to him and Q was like :stopitslime:

Quincy Jones: Kanye West is 'just a rapper'

"How, man?" he said. "No way. Did [Kanye] write for a symphony orchestra? Does he write for a jazz orchestra? Come on, man ... I'm not putting him down or making a judgment or anything, but we come from two different sides of the planet. I spent 28 years learning my first skill. I don't rap. It's not the same thing. A producer has to have some sort of skills that enable him to be a producer. It's a whole different mindset. No comparison. None."

Q was on some :camby:
When I was younger I couldn't totally understand why Quincy would say that.
Then I picked up some books on harmony and counterpoint, I learned of Nadia boulanger,Arnold Schoenberg, Chopin, etc.
Learned more about Jazz greats that I'd been listening to like Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk etc.
I got even heavier into Jazz music and listened to more Jazz albums.
Learned how to harmonize scales in 7th's and Triads, the different rhythms employed etc.

I have a tough enough time thinking of stuff for ONE instrument with THREE OCTAVES (The Guitar).
When you have and entire symphony or a Jazz orchestra, you're really beyond what the average Hip-Hop
producer is doing.

Quincy really is on some other sh!t and I can see why he'd view it as disrespectful to compare him to Kanye West.
Not necessarily to say he's "beneath" Quincy just that Quincy's knowledge and skillset is completely eclipses Kanye's
and that's even with a gang of musicians to help him put his shyt together.

Last edited:

T.H.E. Goat

On the road to riches
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Where The Grass Is Blue
shifted the culture how? and regardless, theres plenty of album that really did shift the culture, but weren't close to being classic.

and if something is a classic, then you wouldn't be following it up with "though I wouldn't listen to it again".

808's And Heartbreak gave a country(Canada)its own sound and that sound gave one of raps biggest artist(Drake)and his main producer(40) the template for there musical career

Graduation is responsible(not fully but it's influence is heavy)for the lane that all of these weirdo rappers and regular joe rappers are currently riding in

It also opened the door for electronic/ hip hop and indie rock/hip hop based production that we hear in a lot of today's music

And last but not least, these two albums are the albums that people who are fans(that I know)and aren't on hip hop forums feel are classic to them

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
808's And Heartbreak gave a country(Canada)its own sound and that sound gave one of raps biggest artist(Drake)and his main producer(40) the template for there musical career

Graduation is responsible(not fully but it's influence is heavy)for the lane that all of these weirdo rappers and regular joe rappers are currently riding in

It also opened the door for electronic/ hip hop and indie rock/hip hop based production that we hear in a lot of today's music

And last but not least, these two albums are the albums that people who are fans(that I know)and aren't on hip hop forums feel are classic to them

f*ck a drake. and who in Canada is using that style besides drake? a guy who wasn't known for rapping in Toronto until he popped up on TV?

i'll give you the bolded. that's about it. but i'd say that about college dropout instead.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.

The other day some nikka said "I only liked 2 songs, but that album was amazing"

:mjlol:

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
Musicians play actual instruments:sas1::sas2:, they don't tap a fukking keyboard and click a mouse to hear a sound. For example Dr. Dre and DJ Quick are musicians because they themselves can actually replicate the sounds they want for their compositions which is why their production has so many layers. You CACs in disguise on Tha Coli make me sick.:pacspit:

Jimmy Two-Times™

Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
The other day some nikka said "I only liked 2 songs, but that album was amazing"

:mjlol:
LOL at your signature comment haha. Flex is like that old uncle wearing all the new nike garms and talking to you about the latest "rappity rap" song that the kids listen to these days. I don't wish death on nobody but I think he has a heart attack coming, his karma is too high.

Jimmy Two-Times™

Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
Koonye. I'm disgusted at the amount of praise this c00n is getting. His father-in-law is a fukking fakkit trannie and his wife and the rest of her family are fame whores. How can you live life properly when your literally living a lie.