Albums Kanye West - DONDA Deluxe (Discussion Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Thecoli :flabbynsick: in here ready to ruin another album discussion thread.
i don’t understand these nikkas. We get it, you dont like it. We heard you the first 20 times. Yet you are still here. Go listen to what you do like, you think we nikkas gon stop liking it cause you don’t like it :stopitslime:

but but but I like graduation. Ok then nikka go listen to it. It’s still available right? :camby:
I'm not even posting that much going in on this album by any means.

I do just have to say though. When a guy like Kanye who is a legit household name superstar, a guy that was THE hip-hop artist of the 2000's, and a guy that's always wrapped up in controversy with Jay, Kim, Trump, or whoever...after he has an album rollout as hectic and chaotic as Donda, it's just straight up unrealistic to expect people not to post in the thread about how they don't like it if they don't.

Kanye West is not an artist like a Westside Gunn where people are just gonna dip in the thread, say it's not for them, and then leave. Kanye is a mega-star that has hyped up this release beyond belief, and pushed it back week after week after week, and done stadium show after stadium show for it. Donda might be the biggest event album to drop so far this year.

I feel bad for Kanye fans that feel like their party is getting spoiled, but it's not just The Coli being :flabbynsick: when you see people staying in the thread to criticize this album. It's human nature and Kanye has brought all of the love and hate he'll ever receive onto himself. This is a guy that talks about himself like he's one of the most important human beings to ever walk the earth. This is gonna be a giant thread full of love and hate, and everything in between.
:yeshrug:

SAINT

All $ IN
Supporter
Daps
I'm not even posting that much going in on this album by any means.

I do just have to say though. When a guy like Kanye who is a legit household name superstar, a guy that was THE hip-hop artist of the 2000's, and a guy that's always wrapped up in controversy with Jay, Kim, Trump, or whoever...after he has an album rollout as hectic and chaotic as Donda, it's just straight up unrealistic to expect people not to post in the thread about how they don't like it if they don't.

Kanye West is not an artist like a Westside Gunn where people are just gonna dip in the thread, say it's not for them, and then leave. Kanye is a mega-star that has hyped up this release beyond belief, and pushed it back week after week after week, and done stadium show after stadium show for it. Donda might be the biggest event album to drop so far this year.

I feel bad for Kanye fans that feel like their party is getting spoiled, but it's not The Coli just being :flabbynsick: when you see people staying in the thread to criticize this album. It's human nature and Kanye has brought all of the love and hate he'll ever receive onto himself.
:yeshrug:

Im not going to have multiple posts about an album I don’t like in a thread dedicated to said album where I’m trying to convince to people to not like that same album. What exactly is the point?

I like this album

no it sucks it should be like College dropout

Yeah, but I like this album

No College dropout is literally his best album this sucks

yeah cool, but I like the album

STOP LIKING THE THING I DONT LIKE AND LIKE THE THING I LIKE :damn: :damn:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Im not going to have multiple posts about an album I don’t like in a thread dedicated to said album where I’m trying to convince to people to not like that same album. What exactly is the point?

I like this album

no it sucks it should be like College dropout

Yeah, but I like this album

No College dropout is literally his best album this sucks

yeah cool, but I like the album

STOP LIKING THE THING I DONT LIKE AND LIKE THE THING I LIKE :damn: :damn:
I'm not either. All I'm saying is you shouldn't be surprised for the rest of this thread to see exactly that. Do I think it's a waste of time? Yeah. I do.

And at the same time, this is a music board, and people like talking music. Kanye is at the top of a lot of people's lists for top artists ever. They're gonna repeat ad nauseam that they don't like it if they don't. It happens in all the Jay/Nas/Kanye threads on here. There aren't many giant artists left in the game, so whenever they drop, cats are gonna talk shyt about it throughout the thread if they don't like it. It's also Covid ramping back up, and more people are inside, pent up, and just wanting to let off steam.

And I don't know if they're really trying to change anyone's opinion. I just think it's people talking shyt and all in good fun

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
"Believe What I Say" hits so well because it's one of the few songs that has some actual energy and is fun. Like Piff said earlier half of this album is like one long interlude or intro track, their doesn't seem to be a lot I will revisit on this album.

"Jail Pt 1", "Jesus Lord Pt 2", "Believe What I Say", "Off The Grid" (Fivio bodied that :whew:) and "Remote Control" will stay on my playlist for a while.

Will give it a few more spins but it definitely hasn't caught me in full. Especially considering the piff that has dropped this year - listening to Nas and Rashad prior to this makes it sound even worse. I found it disappointing that the guests either didn't know it was a clean album or didn't bother to change their verses to fit the theme. I'm guessing Ye never told them.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
"Believe What I Say" hits so well because it's one of the few songs that has some actual energy and is fun. Like Piff said earlier half of this album is like one long interlude or intro track, their doesn't seem to be a lot I will revisit on this album.

"Jail Pt 1", "Jesus Lord Pt 2", "Believe What I Say", "Off The Grid" (Fivio bodied that :whew:) and "Remote Control" will stay on my playlist for a while.

Will give it a few more spins but it definitely hasn't caught me in full. Especially considering the piff that has dropped this year - listening to Nas and Rashad prior to this makes it sound even worse. I found it disappointing that the guests either didn't know it was a clean album or didn't bother to change their verses to fit the theme. I'm guessing Ye never told them.
Kanye definitely didn't tell them, and/or there's still an explicit version coming. I heard the LOX joint a couple weeks ago and it was uncensored. Matter fact I think the whole album has been uncensored every time he previewed it. Him dropping it clean might've been a last minute decision, because he had no problem playing songs with cursing in these stadiums.

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
Kanye definitely didn't tell them, and/or there's still an explicit version coming. I heard the LOX joint a couple weeks ago and it was uncensored. Matter fact I think the whole album has been uncensored every time he previewed it. Him dropping it clean might've been a last minute decision, because he had no problem playing songs with cursing in these stadiums.

Yeah I remember hearing the full verses during the second listening party. "Jesus Is King" was clean as well so I thought that might have been his approach. Hopefully we get the explicit version as well.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
First outright good review. Well written

Still, Donda is Kanye West’s best album since 2013’s Yeezus. Those who stuck with him through thick and thin will love it, while the rest of us can safely dip our toes back in the water. Donda is a funeral and Sunday morning service combined into one celebration. It mixes what people love about West and what they dislike about him, making it the perfect cocktail of what makes Kanye who he is. An album named after your mother mustdeliver, whether she’s dead or alive. Luckily, Kanye comes correct.”

Kanye West Channels His Vulnerability on Donda, Delivering His Best Album in Years

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
When it comes to Kanye thats kind of bullshyt.

Critics tripped all over themselves to anoint Yeezus some avant garde pop art masterpiece. He got the benefit of the doubt with Life Of Pablo (“Its a LIVING, BREATHING DLC ALBUM!!!”) and Ye, critics didn’t go super hard on.

Since the Maga shyt they've kind of reeled it in on him and gone the other way to be critical. Not all some still think Ye was fire fire

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
TOO MANY FEATURES ON THIS shyt.

YE FELL OFF WHEN
HE STOPPED USING SOUL SAMPLES.

STOP TRYING TO FIT IN
WITH THESE NEW nikkaS.
:devil:
:evil:

Truth. I said the same last night.

When dude started getting away from the soul samples and wanted to make "stadium shyt", as he called it, that's when he started falling off. Way too many features on the new shyt. And he sounds like he's trying to hop on what dudes damn near 1/2 his age are doing, musically. Kanye was at his best, when he was leading and being original. Now, it sounds like he's chasing whatever the current sound is, literally from the production, all the way down to the flows.

The first half of his catalogue is flawless. But the quality of his shyt fell off crazy during the past decade or so. It's wild.

Doin2Much Williams

Grace Under Fiyah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Insignificant posting from an insignificant poster
First outright good review. Well written

Still, Donda is Kanye West’s best album since 2013’s Yeezus. Those who stuck with him through thick and thin will love it, while the rest of us can safely dip our toes back in the water. Donda is a funeral and Sunday morning service combined into one celebration. It mixes what people love about West and what they dislike about him, making it the perfect cocktail of what makes Kanye who he is. An album named after your mother mustdeliver, whether she’s dead or alive. Luckily, Kanye comes correct.”

Kanye West Channels His Vulnerability on Donda, Delivering His Best Album in Years

I started wearing a jesus piece because of Ye.

Album is going to be good ipod music. And I'm ok with that.

Mr. West has more than paid his dues.

I will die at 100 and still put Kanye as a top 5 person for me (strickly off his music contributions).