Just got into wrestling at the age of 30… I got some questions.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
what do you mean by work rate?

are there any wrestlers you recommend? Even old ones from back in the day

Since wrasslin is a work.

Meaning it has a predetermined come. Workrate is the quality level of ringworm.
used to bring the outcome of this predetermined finish.
to fruition in ring.

During the predetermined work and outcome.

Art Barr

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
1) Why is AEW shytted on damn near everywhere? Is the wrestling bad?

2) Why do people prefer the WWE style? What are the best matches with that style?

3) What’s the best match for an outsider to walk into? The goat wrestling matches? I don’t know shyt about characters and lore.

4) What makes a wrestler popular? Is it physical talent, gimmicks, or is it the companies preference?
1) It's not shytted everywhere, you are just more aware of it because for some reason the algorithm + the people you follow do it or engage constantly with people that do it.

2) It's not that people prefer WWE style as a rule, it's just by far the most popular wrestling company of all time and it had a 20 year monopoly over U.S wrestling so there's literally generations of fans that saw their vision of wrestling as THE vision or grew accustomed to it. There's way too many great matches, if you just wanna binge watch then watch every WM from 1 to 40 and you'll see how things evolved and you'll grow fond of some wrestlers and you'll seek their work.

3) There is no "best" match for an outsider to walk into because wrestling can be very, very different depending on the country, company, feud, performers, etc. The best way is to find 1 traditional show or event and go back and watch from the start. You want Japanese wrestling? check every G-1 Final in history, or check every Champion's Carnival Final in history. You want WWE? Like I said, go back to WM. You spoke about Omega/Ospreay, search for their most famous matches and go from there, I guarantee you the internet is littered with lists of their "best" matches.

4) There is no formula to what makes a wrestler popular. People engage and get invested in different people in different circumstances. It's one of the awesome things about wrestling, anyone at anytime can catch fire and become popular. If you keep watching you'll learn that sometimes there's incredibly popular wrestlers that don't really appeal to you that much, and there's gonna be wrestlers that you really like but that aren't THAT popular.

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
1) It's not shytted everywhere, you are just more aware of it because for some reason the algorithm + the people you follow do it or engage constantly with people that do it.

2) It's not that people prefer WWE style as a rule, it's just by far the most popular wrestling company of all time and it had a 20 year monopoly over U.S wrestling so there's literally generations of fans that saw their vision of wrestling as THE vision or grew accustomed to it. There's way too many great matches, if you just wanna binge watch then watch every WM from 1 to 40 and you'll see how things evolved and you'll grow fond of some wrestlers and you'll seek their work.

3) There is no "best" match for an outsider to walk into because wrestling can be very, very different depending on the country, company, feud, performers, etc. The best way is to find 1 traditional show or event and go back and watch from the start. You want Japanese wrestling? check every G-1 Final in history, or check every Champion's Carnival Final in history. You want WWE? Like I said, go back to WM. You spoke about Omega/Ospreay, search for their most famous matches and go from there, I guarantee you the internet is littered with lists of their "best" matches.

4) There is no formula to what makes a wrestler popular. People engage and get invested in different people in different circumstances. It's one of the awesome things about wrestling, anyone at anytime can catch fire and become popular. If you keep watching you'll learn that sometimes there's incredibly popular wrestlers that don't really appeal to you that much, and there's gonna be wrestlers that you really like but that aren't THAT popular.
Best answer hands down.

I expect nothing less from my JJK breh :blessed:

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
I’ll say this, you’re already off to a bad start. You actin a lil choosy

My biggest advice to a newcomer is be open. WWE is an easy/assessable watch. Today’s product has a really good mixture of above average ring work and fun storylines that allow you to suspend disbelief and follow along. It’s dumbed down for the masses, so it’s really not for everyone.. especially if you have a purist mindset.. but if you just wanna have fun for a few hours, check em out.

AEW is a more ring focused product and the in-ring stuff you’ll see over there is really top notch. They kinda lack where WWE excels as far as fun accessible storytelling and production, but the in-ring product is so good that it doesn’t really matter.

If you prefer the in ring stuff, AEW will feed you well. If you rather a more easier/accessible story driven approach, WWE got you..

But be a normal person about it. Nothing wrong with juggling between the two like most of us do. Balance is key. Once you start shytting on one to glaze the other, it gets weird. Don’t be like some of the people in this thread lol

Last edited:

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
I’ll say this, you’re already off to a bad start. You actin a lil choosy

My biggest advice to a newcomer is be open. WWE is an easy/assessable watch. Today’s product has a really good mixture of above average ring work and fun storylines that allow you to suspend disbelief and follow along. It’s dumbed down for the masses, so it’s really not for everyone.. especially if you have a purist mindset.. but if you just wanna have fun for a few hours, check em out.

AEW is a more ring focused product and the in-ring stuff you’ll see over there is really top notch. They kinda lack where WWE excels as far as fun accessible storytelling and production, but the in-ring product is so good that it doesn’t really matter.

If you prefer the in ring stuff, AEW will feed you well. If you rather a more easier/accessible story driven approach, WWE got you..

But be a normal person about it. Nothing wrong with juggling between the two like most of us do. Balance is key. Once you start shytting on one to glaze the other, it gets weird. Don’t be like some of the people in this thread lol
I recently started getting back into WWE for the first time since right before WWF changed its name and merged with WCW 20+ years ago because my 7yo son watches.

So I was out completely throughout the WWE+WCW era, John Cena era, etc.

And what you mentioned about the quality of actual wrestling in WWE these days makes sense and just disappoints me. It’s a lot of the same stuff on RAW and Smackdown many times, and I’m not really moved by a lot of the wrestlers, whether in the ring or on the mic. Definitely has its moments with certain guys and I’m still into it, but often just left hoping for unique moves and finishers.

But is the technical, in-ring actual wrestling the reason why a guy like Ricochet left WWE for AEW?

And a lot of the women’s matches in WWE can be hard to watch for me many times because of the lack of speed to moves, telegraphing of moves, etc…but I could watch Jade Cargill any day.
:noah: