Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Gonna have to echo some sentiments in here. More drugs? Come on man

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Gonna have to echo some sentiments in here. More drugs? Come on man

:francis:

And I just saw this title for an interview Singleton did: "John Singleton Wants 'Snowfall' To Be The 'Ghetto Version' of Game of Thrones"

So, in his mind, our version of an epic tale about the struggle for power, political and territorial movements across continents, and familial in-fighting needs to revolve around nikkas turnin' cocaine crack?

full

I had a bad feeling from jump, even when it was announced. My initial instincts + the negative reviews is just making me feel better about the fact that I will not be watching this.

Some people just have bad instincts as storytellers, and a lot of these older black storytellers have very bad instincts. They seem to use stereotypes and cliches as crutches just as much as so-called "cacs".

Hard pass from me.

bigrodthe1

The Kang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
7mile to SE & Uptown!
from reading the reviews this sounds like it's a want to be The Wire with the various plot lines and the only interesting one is the street based story. That the problem with these writers, they all try to do to much instead of just keeping it simple :martin:
Funny thing is from the trailers you only see the street story line :dahell:

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Reviews are bad which is disappointing. FX hasn't had a good year so far, so I was hoping for this to come through.
Why do you say that? I thought Feud and Legion got them a lot of critical acclaim, Taboo was kinda meh reviews though... Plus the Americans and Fargo just finished.

They never really had great ratings aside from SOA, but they have struggled with summertime shows (see The Bridge)

Most reviews I'm seeing are negative but some say it starts to cook after a while. Not really sure since it is Singleton. FX has earned at least a first season try from me for any new show of theirs

Tical

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why do you say that? I thought Feud and Legion got them a lot of critical acclaim, Taboo was kinda meh reviews though... Plus the Americans and Fargo just finished.

They never really had great ratings aside from SOA, but they have struggled with summertime shows (see The Bridge)

Most reviews I'm seeing are negative but some say it starts to cook after a while. Not really sure since it is Singleton. FX has earned at least a first season try from me for any new show of theirs

Fargo and Americans both had their worst seasons. Taboo was meh. Dropped Legion after a few episodes and Feud's subject matter doesn't interest me at all.

American Crime Story and Atlanta were 2 of the best shows of 2016. Both getting pushed to 2018 hurt their programming slate a bit.

RennisDeynolds

Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Fargo and Americans both had their worst seasons. Taboo was meh. Dropped Legion after a few episodes and Feud's subject matter doesn't interest me at all.

American Crime Story and Atlanta were 2 of the best shows of 2016. Both getting pushed to 2018 hurt their programming slate a bit.
Still the strongest current tv catalogue including FXX shows by far :yeshrug: imo. I still say they have the critical acclaim they may just never get the viewership they deserve:sadcam:.

I've watched almost all of their shows with the exception of American Horror Story and Nip/Tuck, they definitely have had a few misses as of late - still number 2 all time network though :usure::ufdup:

Last edited:

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I get what people are saying about "oh boy another drug story" but it's entertainment and it's creating black jobs. If it's not entertaining to you, that's fine. But if it's entertaining and just so happens to be about an illicit lifestyle, so be it. People aren't going to tune in to watch people be regular, law abiding citizens. They can walk outside and see/be that themselves.

There are plenty of black shows (and web series) about a lot of different things, we just have to find and support them.

That being said I probably won't watch based off John Singleton's track record. As people have said, hasn't done anything good in years and can't get out his own way.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps

Taboo was MEH? :beli: and Legion was fukking FIRE and I don't even fukk with comic book or superhero shyt like that.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The reviews seem to to confirm my thoughts, highly cliched, unrealistic, thinly stretched multiple storylines, of course the Singleton can still tell a story of a neighborhood, and the young boys, men, and women who inhabit it, so those will be the strongest part of the story.

I am not watching a show with an Israeli cocaine trafficker with gold plated guns chewing the scenery, or the young woman struggling to run a drug cartel. I'm just not.

Or I will watch the premiere casually, and make my judgement, is more accurate.

RennisDeynolds

Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub