John Boyega Says He Won’t Return to ‘Star Wars’ Franchise | VARIETY.com

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps

John Boyega became an international breakout star playing Finn in the “Star Wars” sequel trilogy. But the actor, who stars in upcoming films “Breaking” and “The Woman King,” doesn’t have much of an interest in returning to the galactic franchise.

“At this point I’m cool off it. I’m good off it,” Boyega said on SiriusXM’s “Tell Me Everything With John Fugelsang.” “I think Finn is at a good confirmation point where you can just enjoy him in other things, the games, the animation. But I feel like ‘[Episode] VII’ to ‘[Episode] IX’ was good for me.”

Boyega added: “To be fair, [with] the allies that I’ve found within Joel Taylor and Jamie Foxx, Teyonah Parris, Viola Davis, all these people I’ve been working with… versatility is my path.”

Boyega also discussed his experience facing racism in the “Star Wars” fandom, an issue that “Obi-Wan Kenobi” star Moses Ingram dealt with earlier this year. Disney and Obi-Wan himself, Ewan McGregor, came to Ingram’s defense and publicly decried the racist backlash she was receiving.

“Moses Ingram being protected makes me feel protected. Do you understand what I’m saying? It makes me feel like, ‘Okay, cool. I am not the elephant in the room.’ Because when I started, it wasn’t really a conversation you could bring up,” Boyega said. “You know how they went through it. It was kind of like, let’s just be silent. It wasn’t a conversation you could bring up. But now to see how blatant it is, to see Ewan McGregor come and support… for me, [it] fulfills my time where I didn’t get the support.”

Boyega continued: “It doesn’t make me feel bitter at all. It makes me feel like sometimes you are that guy. And my dad taught me that. Sometimes you’re not the guy to get the blessing and sometimes you are Moses, you know, you lead the people to the mountain, but you see the destination. You don’t get to go in, you get others to go in. And that’s where you get your happiness from. And for me to see other people accepted, and then at the same time to see that the studios now are like, ‘Okay, cool. This is not an elephant in the room conversation. We need to support our Black client.’ It’s fantastic.”

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I don't blame him because I haven't seen an actor face the abuse he received when he was just doing his job. Also, the racist star wars fanbase put me off the franchise to be honest. I wasn't the biggest star wars fan but made me not care about future films and TV shows.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Been a fan of ol buddy since Attack the Block.

Damn shame the okie doke bullshyt they pulled with him on Star Wars. If he were white, Hollywood would've had him on that extended Chris Pratt battery pack as a lead in action movies, instead of just a throwaway pacific rim joint. But at least he's seemingly carving out his niche with some steady work.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
He's only a big name in hollywood because of it but he's also been cursed by it, so I understand the love/hate relationship. But at the end of the day he'd be nobody without Finn, so I wouldn't shoot down the possibilities to return, even if it's as a VA or something in the future

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
giphy.gif

Peter Popoff

AKA Petty Pimpiń..🤑
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, Texas
He's only a big name in hollywood because of it but he's also been cursed by it, so I understand the love/hate relationship. But at the end of the day he'd be nobody without Finn, so I wouldn't shoot down the possibilities to return, even if it's as a VA or something in the future
He's more of a nobody because of it. He was popular prior to it with attack the block. He just needs to be more careful in choosing roles. Being tight casted in feminist movies will be the death of his career or any black male.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
He's more of a nobody because of it. He was popular prior to it with attack the block. He just needs to be more careful in choosing roles. Being tight casted in feminist movies will be the death of his career or any black male.
Disagree heavily. SW increased his profile 100 fold.

Pretty sure pacific rim and all that came as a result of his work in SW