Joel Osteen: I'm not a poverty minister and being poor and broke....doesn't bring any honor to God

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
a rapper needs to sample olsteen on an album, sounds like an intro to a jeezy song

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
a taste huh? this is even worse, although i don't believe you did it intentionally. you took 15 excerpts and stitched them together to fit your narrative.

Notice that I took 15 verses, ALL from the New Testament, that were a mix of stories, direct commands, and commentary on the actions of the apostles, and they ALL had the same message. And I didn't have to cherry-pick translations to make my point.

You tried to cast doubt on a single line by using a single ambiguous translation, while ignoring that both the context of the chapter and multiple other verses confirm my interpretation of that line. You ignored the passages that showed the apostles acting in direct accordance with my interpretation of that line.

for example

you said Matthew 6:24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

another translation..

‭Matthew 6:24 NLT‬
[24] “No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and be enslaved to money.

If you have a translation difference about such a serious issue, do you just default to what you want to believe, or do you actually try to learn the truth?

The original Greek for that line does NOT have different verbs for "serve God" and "be enslaved to money". There's just a single verb there "douleuein", for both God and money. So Jesus clearly intends to directly contrast God and money there, not switch it up with different words.

read the chapter in its fullness, then let's revisit this..

The passage directly leading into that line is:

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Jesus says DO NOT store up treasures on earth. Jesus says that if you do, your heart WILL be there.

And how about the passage directly after? It's Jesus comforting the crowd and telling them not to worry so much about cloths, food, etc. Why would that have come to their mind, if they didn't think that they would be giving up their money?

a Christian knows that all they have truly belongs to God.. and God provides all your needs

Do they really? 1 John 3:16-18 says:

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

If you realize that all you have truly belongs to God, and you trust that God will provide for your needs, then you will give away all your excess money and possessions in order to help the numerous people in need. If you are still holding onto your wealth despite knowing that people are in desperate need right now, then either you don't actually trust or you just love yourself more than them.

cobra

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If you realize that all you have truly belongs to God, and you trust that God will provide for your needs, then you will give away all your excess money and possessions in order to help the numerous people in need. If you are still holding onto your wealth despite knowing that people are in desperate need right now, then either you don't actually trust or you just love yourself more than them.
give it away to who..who should be in charge of redistributing the money
wouldn't it be the Church...which would then make the church wealthy as they need to have lots of turnover?
your types would start complaining about taxing the Church

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
give it away to who..who should be in charge of redistributing the money
wouldn't it be the Church...which would then make the church wealthy as they need to have lots of turnover?

Lots of money in and out doesn't make you "wealthy" if you don't hold onto it or spend it on yourself.

your types would start complaining about taxing the Church

Why does taxing the church have any relevance to this discussion? The church already has tons of money moving in and out regardless whether they're helping the poor or not.

I don't know what "my type" is, but personally I think they should be taxed as any other organization. All of their social programs and money they spend on the needy should be tax-deductible just like any other nonprofit organization. Any money they spend on themselves should be taxed just like any other organization. Honestly, the church should welcome that because when you're tax-deductible you have to follow certain government rules (like no political preaching from the pulpit), and I think churches should be wary of being forced to follow any government rules about what they preach.

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
buncha self righteous babble up in here

same dudes in here tryna act enlightened... keep an eye out for em in jbo. theyre prolly the nastiest ones :scust:

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
This guy sounds like a got damn used car salesman to me
He has it down to a science but I can't be mad at him. People could simply not show up to his church.

Frankly I'd watch this kind of language. It's not good for his bottom line. He might need to create a PR team after this admission.

A big part of sermons is making having less a noble and humble way of life. That can't be a coincidence.

Who Not How

Superstar
Daps
Matthew 19:24 "I'll say it again-it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of A needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!"
Please don’t take the scripture out of context.

The Bible talks more about finances and money than Hell and Heaven combined.

It’s definitely not a flex to be poor. That doesn’t make you better than a rich person in the eyes of God.

God wants his people to be rich. Everything about God is abundant.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
That's that new prosperity preaching version 2.0 right there :whew: They've tipped toed around these themes for years but now its full blown "god wants you to get cha money up" straight up :ehh:

Who Not How

Superstar
Daps
Joel often is a false prophet who preaches a false gospel. God never promised wealthy and earthly riches in this world. The same God who said that money is the root of all evil.

Let him be accursed. He’s a fraud and a con like most prosperity corporate church preachers.
I see this thread is full of dudes butchering the Word :snoop: