Jimmy Butler traded to Philly for Robert Covington and Dario Saric. Jimmy plans to re-sign.

Where will Jimmy land?

• New York

Votes: 71 26.6%
  • LA clippers

Votes: 39 14.6%
  • Brooklyn

Votes: 38 14.2%
  • Miami

Votes: 67 25.1%
  • Other

Votes: 77 28.8%

• Total voters
Daps
I don't like this trade for the 76ers; I just can't see this working out for them in the long run. Butler's not an off-ball player which he'll need to be in order for this shyt to work - the spacing and off-ball effectiveness of Covington (4.9 catch and shoot attempts per game) and Saric (5.2 catch and shoot attempts per game) were essential to the workings of their offense - they basically traded them for a ball-dominant scorer. Simmons, Fultz, Butler and Embiid all competing for touches is a recipe of disaster.

Daps
Butler can literally do everything Covington did at a higher level except shoot open threes.
The problem with this is Butler needs the ball in his hands to be effective, whereas Covington didn't, which would be fine if the 76ers needed someone to handle the ball/run the offense, but how's he gonna fit in with Fultz and Simmons.....

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I don't like this trade for the 76ers; I just can't see this working out for them in the long run. Butler's not an off-ball player which he'll need to be in order for this shyt to work - the spacing and off-ball effectiveness of Covington (4.9 catch and shoot attempts per game) and Saric (5.2 catch and shoot attempts per game) were essential to the workings of their offense - they basically traded them for a ball-dominant scorer. Simmons, Fultz, Butler and Embiid all competing for touches is a recipe of disaster.

Butler makes them a much better halfcourt scoring team and gives them a great perimeter defender to put on one of Tatum/Morris/Brown who they struggled with.

In situations where their offense is stagnant because of Ben's ineptitude, they gain a guy who can create on the perimeter.

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
Don’t consider Fultz, he shouldn’t be in their long-term plans. They weren’t doing shyt with that squad and desperately need someone that can create.

Daps
Butler makes them a much better halfcourt scoring team.
How so, when this move only shrinks the floor even more? It certainly gives them a better go-to scoring option on the perimeter, but their halfcourt offense will most likely be less effective. Butler needs the ball in his hands - what are Ben and Fultz going to do when he's controlling the possession flow? How are defenses going to treat Fultz and Ben when Butler has the ball in his hands?

Daps
Don’t consider Fultz, he shouldn’t be in their long-term plans. They weren’t doing shyt with that squad and desperately need someone that can create.
But it doesn't matter what you think their long-term plans should be, because quite clearly they've invested A LOT in him, and it's unlikely they're going to give up on him when his trade-value is at rock bottom.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
How so, when this move only shrinks the floor even more? It certainly gives them a better go-to scoring option on the perimeter, but their halfcourt offense will most likely be less effective. Butler needs the ball in his hands - what are Ben and Fultz going to do when he's controlling the possession flow?

First of all you're assuming Ben and Fultz will be on the floor. In situations like that, Redikk will be on the floor atleast until Fultz has proven he can handle that responsibility.

You place Ben on the other block, Embiid can stay behind the arc, and then whoever else you feel comfortable with on the floor (this is where they miss Saric)

Daps
First of all you're assuming Ben and Fultz will be on the floor. In situations like that, Redikk will be on the floor atleast until Fultz has proven he can handle that responsibility.
:usure:

How am I assuming when Fultz and Simmons are the actual starters for this team? It seems like you're the one doing all the assuming; Redikk's only started one game this season, whereas Fultz and Ben have started every single game they've played in.
You place Ben on the other block, Embiid can stay behind the arc, and then whoever else you feel comfortable with on the floor (this is where they miss Saric)
So your idea is to have ZERO floor spacing, with a my turn-your turn type of offense - gee, I wonder how long that'll last.

:lolbron:

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
But it doesn't matter what you think their long-term plans should be, because quite clearly they've invested A LOT in him, and it's unlikely they're going to give up on him when his trade-value is at rock bottom.
Sometimes you have to know when to cut bait, sunk cost and all.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
:usure:

How am I assuming when Fultz and Simmons are the actual starters for this team? It seems like you're the one doing all the assuming; Redikk's only started one game this season, whereas Fultz and Ben have started every single game they've played in.

So your idea is to have ZERO floor spacing, with a my turn-your turn type of offense - gee, I wonder how long that'll last.

:lolbron:

I'm referring to the end of games where the 76ers struggle. Redikk WILL be on the floor.

How is there zero floor spacing when you got 4 shooters on the court + Ben? You can end games with a lineup of Ben-Redikk-Jimmy-Chandler/Korkmaz-Embiid and not miss a beat.

Daps
I'm referring to the end of games where the 76ers struggle. Redikk WILL be on the floor.
:dwillhuh:

But what about the rest of the game? How are they going to function with limited shooting/spacing during 90+% of the game and/or when Ben, Fultz and Butler are all on the floor together?

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
:dwillhuh:

But what about the rest of the game? How are they going to function with limited shooting/spacing during 90+% of the game and/or when Ben, Fultz and Butler are all on the floor?

As long as they only play one of Ben/Fultz with Jimmy at any given time they will function like a normal damn ballclub. :francis:

Ben in the game, Ben runs offense, dump down to Embiid for majority of possessions or get a shooter open. Ben out of the game, Jimmy runs offense, he either isos and gets himself or someone else a shot, or dumps down to Embiid. Other than that they run the floor and get easy buckets like they always have.

There's no way to spin this like they are worse off with Jimmy.

Daps
As long as they only play one of Ben/Fultz with Jimmy at any given time they will function like a normal damn ballclub. :francis:
Well then I guess they're NOT going to function like a "normal damn ballclub", cause you're deluding yourself if you think all three of those players won't play heavy minutes together.

:manny: