Jim Ryan says their acquisition spree is far from over

ForeverLurking

Posts as a Service
Daps
Reppin
The Place Where Dreams Go To Die
They're gonna buy all of Japan & little bits of Europa and North Americana
PS Plus will eventually be all the Japanese publishers' libraries from PS1-5. And in the case of when they add SNK and Sega, those consoles' libraries too

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Organic™ acquisitions.

And while Ryan hasn’t ruled out further acquisitions, he’s keen to stress that Sony has been significantly growing its first-party development capabilities in a somewhat under the radar fashion.

It’s probably not widely appreciated or understood, to what extent that we have grown our own game development capability organically over the course of this generation,” he told GamesIndustry.biz. “Obviously, it’s been helped by the acquisition of Insomniac, and it’s wonderful to have them as part of the family.

“I would just invite anybody to look at the launch window line-up of the PS4 generation, or PS3 generation, and compare it to what we are going to bring in the equivalent phase of PS5. There’s just no comparison.”

SIE Worldwide Studios games in PS5’s launch line-up include Spider-Man Miles Morales, Spider-Man Remastered, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, and Demon’s Souls.

That is the fruit of not massive spending sprees, but of very, very steadily, carefully planned organic growth,” Ryan said. “Probably the best example I give… I could obviously talk about Naughty Dog, but they’ve always been making great games. But let’s talk about Ghost of Tsushima, which has been a critical delight and certainly a commercial delight to an extent that we didn’t think it would be. That speaks volumes to the work that Sucker Punch has done to build on their previous canon of work.

We are lucky enough to have five or six studios who fall into that category,” Ryan continued. “But it isn’t luck, because we’ve been working on this for years and years. Very quietly, in a very PlayStation way, we’ve been building something quite special with these studios. You can do it with frenzied acquisition, or measured acquisition, or you can do it organically.”

We can see the night and day difference in how Sony and MS foster their 1st party studios.

Compare ND to The Initiative or heck, you can use Bend as a Sony example, and there is still a stark difference.

Last edited: