Jemele Hill and her podcast network are leaving Spotify

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
The sports podcast game is tough right now.

You have podcast like JJ redikk, Paul George’s, Draymond green that are great and the originals that are still going (all in the smoke and two knuckleheads). Just not a lot of space right now
and unfortunately, I've heard great things about them and still don't check for them, mainly because I don't have the time and I'd need to cut stuff out to make room for it.

My sports pods are:

The Ringer
The Lowe Post
The Hoop Collective
New York, New York
NBA Big Board
Talkin Yanks
and occasionally Talkin Nets

That's not including other pods I'll check for regarding other subjects. Pods are the one place if one of them decided to just give up altogether, I wouldn't be that upset about it.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Eh.

The core Spotify audience is there solely for music and discovering more music.

Spotify shot itself in the foot throwing big bags at these podcast creators when the game is saturated. Too many to all eat decently.

And these days it’s all about the video “podcasts” that you can just watch on YouTube. Don’t even have to watch the shít — put the video on and listen to the audio.
Even worse, they were throwing bags at people to start podcasts… not even trying to be already established ones with audiences.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
:lupe: that shyt worked smooth as hell

what other hacks you got

It works for any article behind a paywall. It hasn’t been shutdown yet, so I continue to use it.

That’s the only one I know of :russ:
Didn't he have a pod with Black Star?

I never checked for it because I thought they had that on Luminary exclusively.
yea...It's really good and worth paying for. May be the most perfect curated pod I've ever listened to

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Podcasts are like any form of entertainment; once you have your fill, it's hard to add new ones to what you already have simply because you don't have the time to keep up. There's plenty of people who I otherwise don't mind, but I don't have the time to invest in what their pods are.

When it comes to pods, we don't follow one particular person the way much of America follows Joe Rogan or NPR or Ben Shapiro or some others. If everyone here listed which pods they play, we're gonna get a different answer for each person, and it's probably only gonna be a handful of pods.

I just took a look at Apple's top charters and I've maybe heard of 15 of these and only play one of them (the Ringer).

Of any of the shows that Spotify had exclusively, I've only really lamented not hearing No Skips (I don't have Spotify nor care to have it). Otherwise, that exclusivity stuff only goes but so far. You gotta be top 5 of everything for that to really make waves now.

fukk it, we should list which pods we listen to just to get a sense of where we go on these things.
All facts. And this is coming from someone who used to listen to over 20 podcasts a week before switching careers. Right now, my must listens every week are just:
The Fiyastarter podcast
Joe Budden
Bill Simmons
Juan Ep is Life

Whenever I have some more time, or if a big topic/event is being discussed I’ll throw in some various Ringer podcasts or Brian Windhorst.

To your exact point, I absolutely love The Blog Era podcast and just don’t really have the time to get through it.

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
ukk it, we should list which pods we listen to just to get a sense of where we go on these things.
Must listens: Fiyastarter, ?uestlove Supreme, 5-4, GovLove, The Right Time, Midnight Miracle...everything else I'm not breaking my neck to listen to. Sucks that there are ZERO hip hop pods worth a fukk. Gonna checkout this Rap Stories pod and hope that's good

Edit: I'll check out the BS Report when one of Simmons teams shyts the bed just to hear him and Rusillo cry about it

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Must listens: Fiyastarter, ?uestlove Supreme, 5-4, GovLove, The Right Time, Midnight Miracle...everything else I'm not breaking my neck to listen to. Sucks that there are ZERO hip hop pods worth a fukk. Gonna checkout this Rap Stories pod and hope that's good

Edit: I'll check out the BS Report when one of Simmons teams shyts the bed just to hear him and Rusillo cry about it
Check out Juan Ep. It’s not purely hip hop anymore as they lean into comedy a bit more but it’s still heavy.

calh45

Cal
Daps
Didn't he have a pod with Black Star?

I never checked for it because I thought they had that on Luminary exclusively.

He did, but it wasn't weekly. It was some shyt they would go on for a month or two then disappear. I don't think he'd do a locked down weekly style podcast deal like Rogan, but if he decided to he'd be someone to get $100m.......and maybe Trevor Noah.

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown

I don’t listen to Simmons but I do subscribe to a couple of his local sports subsidiaries - NY, NY with John Jastremski and The Full Go with Jason Goff (Chicago).

They’re both good at the job, smart sports fans, good at guest interviews and I listen to get takes on the national scene plus deep dives on the local teams.

I’m not a CHI sports teams fan, but I sometimes like getting insight on what’s really happening from people who truly know the teams. Highly recommend The Full Go for the Bulls and Bears fans especially.

calh45

Cal
Daps

Weirdly, Simmons got worse to me as a podcaster when he replaced House with Russillo. I get that Russillo is a "name", but House made the pods fun and less serious.

I've been on the search for more fun pods instead of folks discussing sports like it's global politics. Raw Room ain't super polished, but they crack me up when they get rolling. I hope they don't take out all of the fun like the pivot did when they blow up.