jeen-yuhs: A Kanye Trilogy | All Parts Released

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Best thing I've seen on Netflix in a minute. Really took me back to those days. Being a "backpack" rap fan, hearing Kanye on some of those initial tracks. I remember having backpacker friends who didn't fukk with him, said Ayatollah made better beats, and hated the contradictions in his music. Yet that was what made him stand out to me. It reminded me of Pac.

Kanye's mom really made everything tie together. The command of her voice, how profound she was, the support she displayed for Kanye...even the friendliness she displayed to his crew. We all shyt on Kanye today for a variety of things, and deservedly so, but there's no question she raised a strong black man. Gave him a foundation. His dad too.

The editing of this is so good. I liked the Biggie doc that Netflix did but the editing of the old footage seemed kind of scattershot in places, whereas there's a clear cut narrative on display here. Also interesting how so many families have that one guy who became obsessed with VHS and taping things. In my family it was my cousin's boyfriend, who she later married.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Facts. He was also getting paid like 30-40k per beat on some of his beats in this era. He was getting paid very well, and was well respected.

yea but he also had a lot of “friends” reaching out to him for free beats or a discount and probably didn’t like him saying no

Kanye talks about this.

As for the others who could pay 30-40k I don’t think rappers were trying to not pay but they just wanted first dibs

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
This shyt is great. I'm still amazed at how he walked into the Roc a fella offices and was playing all falls down and nobody was fukking with it on any level. I think they all underestimated him because he wasn't a street dude and he kept popping that retainer out his mouth.

Scientific

Bacdafucup
Daps
Reppin
The H
This was like a time machine. Kanye may be the central point, but damn. Thinking back to being a youngin in that era :mjcry:.

Ye is the modern day Prince. A stamp in time, and I don't think anyone can take that spot. He produced arguably the best albums of that decade-- College Drop Out, Late Registration, Be, The Fix. Who can claim that run?

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Best thing I've seen on Netflix in a minute. Really took me back to those days. Being a "backpack" rap fan, hearing Kanye on some of those initial tracks. I remember having backpacker friends who didn't fukk with him, said Ayatollah made better beats, and hated the contradictions in his music. Yet that was what made him stand out to me. It reminded me of Pac.

Kanye's mom really made everything tie together. The command of her voice, how profound she was, the support she displayed for Kanye...even the friendliness she displayed to his crew. We all shyt on Kanye today for a variety of things, and deservedly so, but there's no question she raised a strong black man. Gave him a foundation. His dad too.

The editing of this is so good. I liked the Biggie doc that Netflix did but the editing of the old footage seemed kind of scattershot in places, whereas there's a clear cut narrative on display here. Also interesting how so many families have that one guy who became obsessed with VHS and taping things. In my family it was my cousin's boyfriend, who she later married.
Losing his Moms was a huge loss too

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
As much as a cornball Kweli is.. Kanye did that nikka dirty man... None of them Roc nikkas(Except Dame) believed in him rapping and Kweli and Mos were the only ones that did and tried to get him on Rawkus.
Rawkus president who had the final say didn’t want to sign Ye… Dame didn’t either but he had no choice but to give him a deal just to keep him as a in house producer.. Ye even said Dame was gonna throw Cam and beans on his album in case that shyt didn’t pop lmaooo..

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
yea but he also had a lot of “friends” reaching out to him for free beats or a discount and probably didn’t like him saying no

Kanye talks about this.

As for the others who could pay 30-40k I don’t think rappers were trying to not pay but they just wanted first dibs
Definitely. But like, all of that comes with the territory as a producer, and none of it is a surprise. My only point is that he wasn't starving and miserable.

That shyt happens with all producers. 9th Wonder had people here in NC still trying to get beats from him for $100 bucks a pop after he did Threat for Jay-Z. Alchemist had every rapper that ever met Prodigy and Havoc in QB trying to get beats from him, and he even sold the Say Yes beat to Saigon for $200 when he got out of prison to help him get started on Rawkus.

I just was trying to get across the point that no one was trying to fukk Kanye over or anything on the beats. That shyt is just human nature.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Rawkus president who had the final say didn’t want to sign Ye… Dame didn’t either but he had no choice but to give him a deal just to keep him as a in house producer.. Ye even said Dame was gonna throw Cam and beans on his album in case that shyt didn’t pop lmaooo..
Yep. They were gonna make Kanye's first album like a Rocafella version of The Chronic if Kanye's singles didn't land. The video for Through The Wire really forced their hand to let him do it his way.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
This was like a time machine. Kanye may be the central point, but damn. Thinking back to being a youngin in that era :mjcry:.

Ye is the modern day Prince. A stamp in time, and I don't think anyone can take that spot. He produced arguably the best albums of that decade-- College Drop Out, Late Registration, Be, The Fix. Who can claim that run?

You also got Graduation, 808s, and I'm tempted to count MBDTF even though that was 2010. Graduation and 808s influenced a LOTTTTTT of this genre's 2010's music. And nothing needs to be said on MBDTF.

Kanye was the definitive hip-hop producer of the 2000's, I think. Either him or The Neptunes. Timbo's best run was in the 90's, I think. And Madlib and Alchemist got most of their critical acclaim and influential work in the 2010's (with the exception of Madvillainy).

Even if Kanye wasn't technically the "best" hip-hop producer of the 2000's, I think he was probably the most important one from a historical perspective, along with Pharrell.

EDIT: @Piff Perkins dope post up above bro. Dapped and repped.

Last edited:

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I thoroughly enjoyed this.

There was a point where Kanye asked Mos to perform 2 words and I get the sense that it was Mos Def's first time hearing Kanye's verse to it.
Also I may be in the minority but I always liked Kanye's verse on Two Words the most out of everyone on that joint.
:yeshrug: