Jayson Tatum is NOT a "Superstar"

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
He’s really volatile…. His shot profile seems so difficult …don’t understand why he doesn’t try to get or can’t get easier looks with his size skill and length
He's not athletic, so those size advantages that it feels like he should have are harder to take advantage of than it looks because he has zero burst or lift when he attacks the rim. He's strong, but not bully ball strong, so he finds himself having to finish honestly over hands instead of clear skies.

He'll always need to hit those tough shots to succeed basically. Good news for him though is that he should be able to play this way for a long time.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Because he lacks toughness, both mentally and physically. He's always crying for fouls, I mean ALWAYS, but more to the point that he has the size for easier shots, he's not really that strong. He doesn't attack the basket alot because he don't like to get hit and physically he's kind of a weakling...

Dude is not it, has never been it...
I actually do think he's strong, he just can't clear nikkas out of the way.

A weakling is KD, but KD's a better finisher anyway because he has much more length, lift and explosion.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
It's funny looking back at the Tatum vs Booker argument
Feels like Tatum only ever drives for layups and foul baiting or shoots a three
I wouldn't be shocked if his shot chart was solely in the restricted area and beyond the arc

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
He's not athletic, so those size advantages that it feels like he should have are harder to take advantage of than it looks because he has zero burst or lift when he attacks the rim. He's strong, but not bully ball strong, so he finds himself having to finish honestly over hands instead of clear skies.

He'll always need to hit those tough shots to succeed basically. Good news for him though is that he should be able to play this way for a long time.
If that’s the case he needs to start incorporating some more movement off ball screen look into his arsenal like other non athletic shooters do to get easier looks from 3 and in the mid range … especially with good passing bigs like the Celtics have there’s really no excuse for someone with that shooting ability to constantly be taking the most difficult attempts on the court every game and plummeting his efficiency/effectiveness in the process often times

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
If that’s the case he needs to start incorporating some more movement off ball screen look into his arsenal like other non athletic shooters do to get easier looks from 3 and in the mid range … especially with good passing bigs like the Celtics have there’s really no excuse for someone with that shooting ability to constantly be taking the most difficult attempts on the court every game and plummeting his efficiency/effectiveness in the process often times
Agreed, but that would require him to have a real coach with a real offensive system, plus with him being a kobe stan you know he has no interest in that style of play :francis:

I really find it amazing celtics have gone this far playing this ugly style of basketball with no real offensive gameplan or sets, and getting by on defensive tenacity and grit. It's hard to say how sustainable that will be in the years to come

Blackrogue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nai
I'm trying to understand whats going on with him, these couple of series and the one he went against Wiggins and my conclusion its easier for Jalen green to get off because he's doing stuff off the dribble and slicing.. where are Tatum scoring comes in the form of he's a great spot up shooter and able to create jump shots off the dribble. He also gets shots off getting to the rim in transition when there's no body on him.

what I'm seeing for now but i'll adjust once I see him more in the half court is an inability to beat people off the dribble, and get to the rim because of feet speed. He's very physical and most of his drives he's bodying people to the rim. SO once you put a guy like Wiggins whos fast, and maybe strong enough not to be bodies, he ends up in a straight jacket relying on catch and shoots and transition. Thats what I want to look into for now.