Jay-Z is now president of Puma basketball. Puma gives Walt Frazier a lifetime contract

MrWestGrand

The Negotiator
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
It's a process breh. I get your sentiment but these are big stepping stones. One day somebody will pull a FUBU for sneakers.
Jay smart, he’s been able to take a position in a certain company and use the experience and learn the inner workings process to launch his own. Went from Def-Jam president to Roc Nation owner.

Would love to see him increase his knowledge and influence on this platform, then do a joint venture with say BBB someday.

Imagine that shyt...
full

lib123

All Star
Daps
I agree with pretty much most of what you're saying, and part of the problem is mostly down to semantics, colloquialisms and the idea of a "boss", whether it's the literal definition (like you described) and "our" definition. To me, Jay covers both. He's literally a boss (TIDAL/Aspiro) and colloquially one, if you believe in that sort of thing. Being the boss of your own company doesn't mean you can't make alternate streams of revenue or income from others. Warren Buffet consults and sits on the boards (in an advisory role) for companies he's not sole owner of in return for money and equity. Is he not "real" now. Is he not a boss? Is he some kinda liar because the cheque he cashes has another mans name on it? I'm not comparing the two, but I am comparing their actions.

But I agree with you, the microscope of celebrity that intensifies the everyday dealings of someone like Jay doesn't translate to the regular everyday person, but my only problem comes when people (and I'll just be honest, it's mostly black people) try to diminish an accomplishment (big or small) for no other reason than to diminish it because you don't like the person (and I'm not accusing you, it's mostly others).

Like I said in my original post, I don't comment as much in threads like these (especially in The Booth) but I find it funny that two artists, celebrities, business people - whatever - can do the same or similar things at different times, but depending on the general feeling towards that person, the reactions will be different. I literally watch it happen on this board. Constantly. It goes in circles.

To put it plainly - if this was Nas, the conversation would be entirely different, and for no other reason than the fact that it's Nas and not Jay or vice versa. Jay has lunch with Buffet - sellout. Nas is pictured at a dinner two seats from Mark Zuckerberg - :salute: the God made it!

I'm not asking people to celebrate these moves. I'm not asking them to fawn over him or any other celebrity. What I don't like is when we chip away (completely unnecessarily) at an accomplishment. Especially when there really is no reason to.

Like none.

On the face of it, this Puma move does absolutely nothing but leverage Jay's influence to put and equal amount or more endorsement money in the pockets of young black men and women from a brand who wasn't a player in the market in the first place. And it won't cost him a dime of his own money, and may make him a few (as well as Puma, obviously).

So really, what is there to talk about?

BTW, if you reply and I don't respond, it's not because of anything you said, it's because I'm done venting
VY2wmdR.png

That's true some people are straight up hating. But I don't think we should really be celebrating these surface level accomplishments anymore. Even though Jay will put a few black people in position to get money, it still falls under umbrella of post-integration tokenism that helps relatively few and enhances the false narrative that we (black people) doing better than we are. IMO the bad of strengthening that narrative (which increases self-internalization of racist outcomes) outweighs the good.

All the while, these companies directly and indirectly make billions off of black culture and more of us believe token success (which is by nature heavily driven by luck) is more attainable. It stagnates movements for collective achievement and advancement. 2 birds, 1 stone.

And TBH a lot of us secretly chase and live vicariously through token successes (ie Jay Z, Obama) cause we want to be able to look down on other black people, gain white acceptance and get enough money for trinkets. 3 birds, 1 stone.

Last edited:

mr x

Superstar
Daps
Hov always getting all his brands to work in unison.

Tidal has a puma playlist. :laugh:

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's true some people are straight up hating. But I don't think we should really be celebrating these surface level accomplishments anymore. Even though Jay will put a few black people in position to get money, it still falls under umbrella of post-integration tokenism that helps relatively few and enhances the false narrative that we (black people) doing better than we are. IMO the bad of strengthening that narrative (which increases self-internalization of racist outcomes) outweighs the good.

All the while, these companies directly and indirectly make billions off of black culture and more of us believe token success (which is by nature heavily driven by luck) is more attainable. It stagnates movements for collective achievement and advancement. 2 birds, 1 stone.

And TBH a lot of us secretly chase and live vicariously through token successes (ie Jay Z, Obama) cause we want to be able to look down on other black people, gain white acceptance and get enough money for trinkets. 3 birds, 1 stone.
What's your solution?:jbhmm:

YakSpiller

Veteran
Daps
They're just copying Nike and Adidas
Though.

Those shoes posted are straight rips.