Jamie Foxx in Collateral is the most accurate depiction of a coli breh ever on film

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hilarious concept. one of my favorite movies of all time, and Mann is my all time director. Saw in theaters twice as a kid, 20 years ago, and made a lifetime impression. A lot of the same themes in his movies and writing.

There's an earlier scene where he says

"most people 10 years from now, same job, same gig, same life, just playing it safe.....you don't know where you'll be 10 minutes from now"

For Vincent, this is because he can kill or be killed at any moment. He lives his life 100% in the present. There is nothing outside of this moment. Because he doesn't care. Similar to James Cann in Thief, and to De Niro in Heat. This is the pysche of a professional criminal. Cann says "you got to get to the point where nothing means nothing", and De Niro famous line "don't get attached to anything you can't walk out in 30 seconds or less" and Pacino's response "that's sounds pretty vacant... no...."

all three characters are pretty high on a sociopathy scale. Not entirely but up there. They are amoral, not immoral. For them conventional morality is essentially just a concept.

This is NOT the way upper middle class to middle class/lower class live their lives. For them, it's all about attachment. Commitment. Planning for the future. Moral. Good and bad. For the contrast, this is also NOT the way gangsters in movies like Goodfellas talk, for them there are clear values like family. Honor. That keep them committed and grounded.

which sums up the differences in the two characters.

But, to act like Max had no good qualities, or is just a loser, is another misread on the movie. It's funny, but not true. He wasn't a total loser. he just lacked confidence, lacked the ability to live in the present. That night and Vincent's influence forced him out of the comfort zone, and he was able to save his life, and someone he cared about.

he's observant. he's empathetic, he's understanding, he's compassionate. He has a blind spot with his limo thing, but he's grounded. He's humble. He's kind. Vincent is also observent, but cold, alone, unable to relate to others. They both read each other right.

Tried to rep you but couldnt

What are your other fav movies?

ItsPeople

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Watched it tonight off the strength of this thread :myman:

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is it just me or does this movie not have the cultural impact it should have?

When talking classics people will always bring up Heat but not Collateral.

I damn near forgot this movie existed even tho I loved it when it came out.

HandyWithTheSteel

Superstar
Daps
Is it just me or does this movie not have the cultural impact it should have?

When talking classics people will always bring up Heat but not Collateral.

I damn near forgot this movie existed even tho I loved it when it came out.
It was a box office success, well-reviewed and nominated for 2 Oscars. Yet somehow feels underrated. :patrice:

The movie has always reminded of Training Day. It’s the same type of movie just with the roles reversed (Tom Cruise is Denzel and Jaimie Foxx is Ethan Hawke)

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:salute:Thanks for recommending the piff don’t know how I’ve missed this. Love the early 2000s vibes of Cali, the soundtrack was dope, and both Jamie & Cruise did their thing.
:ohhh:Mark Ruffalo’s death came outta nowhere. I thought homie was going to play a bigger role, and they offed him like that.
And what was the significance of those coyotes?