Jamie Foxx in Collateral is the most accurate depiction of a coli breh ever on film

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
There was nothing intelligent or introspective about his character. He was an underachieving p*ssy and a pushover. But a very realistic person indeed. That’s how most people are. Vincent pulled his card in the cab with his monologue.

Gotta watch this scene at least once a year. :wow:

“Wtf are you doing still driving a cab?”

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Hilarious concept. one of my favorite movies of all time, and Mann is my all time director. Saw in theaters twice as a kid, 20 years ago, and made a lifetime impression. A lot of the same themes in his movies and writing.

There's an earlier scene where he says

"most people 10 years from now, same job, same gig, same life, just playing it safe.....you don't know where you'll be 10 minutes from now"

For Vincent, this is because he can kill or be killed at any moment. He lives his life 100% in the present. There is nothing outside of this moment. Because he doesn't care. Similar to James Cann in Thief, and to De Niro in Heat. This is the pysche of a professional criminal. Cann says "you got to get to the point where nothing means nothing", and De Niro famous line "don't get attached to anything you can't walk out in 30 seconds or less" and Pacino's response "that's sounds pretty vacant... no...." You can see the through line in the 30 seconds quote. He will change everything in 30 seconds or less, because there is no fixed life. There is no certainity, as a hit man or bank robber. This is how he responds.

all three characters are pretty high on a sociopathy scale. but it's not that they don't have feelings or lack emotions, we can see that they do, (Vincent is by far the furthest, but we only see a little of his life) but they don't ascribe to almost any of what 'normal' society values, "you never wanted a regular type life", until they meet the women, that gives them more perspective, but they still revert to their rules.

They are amoral, not immoral. For them conventional morality is essentially just a concept.

This is NOT the way upper middle class to middle class/lower class live their lives. For them, it's all about attachment. Commitment. Planning for the future. Moral. Good and bad. For the contrast, this is also NOT the way gangsters in movies like Goodfellas talk, for them there are clear values like family. Honor. That keep them committed and grounded.

which sums up the differences in the two characters.

But, to act like Max had no good qualities, or is just a loser, is another misread on the movie. It's funny, but not true. He wasn't a total loser. he just lacked confidence, lacked the ability to live in the present. That night and Vincent's influence forced him out of the comfort zone, and he was able to save his life, and someone he cared about.

he's observant. he's empathetic, he's understanding, he's compassionate. He has a blind spot with his limo thing, but he's grounded. He's humble. He's kind. Vincent is also observent, but cold, alone, unable to relate to others. They both read each other right.

Last edited:

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hilarious concept, one of my favorite movies of all time, and Mann is my all time director. Saw in theaters twice as a kid, 20 years ago, and made a lifetime impression. A lot of the same themes in his movies and writing.

"most people 10 years from now, same job, same gig, same life, just playing it safe.....you don't know where you'll be 10 minutes from now"

For Vincent, this is because he can kill or be killed at any moment. He lives his life 100% in the present. There is nothing outside of this moment. Because he doesn't care. Similar to James Cann in Thief, and to De Niro in Heat. This is the pysche of a professional criminal. Cann says "you got to get to the point where nothing means nothing", and De Niro famous line "don't get attached to anything you can't walk out in 30 seconds or less" and Pacino's response "that's sounds pretty vacant... no...."

This is NOT the way upper middle class to middle class/lower class live their lives. For them, it's all about attachment. Commitment. Planning for the future. For the contrast, this is also NOT the way gangsters in movies like Goodfellas talk, for them there are clear values like family. Honor. That keep them committed and grounded.

But, to act like Max had no good qualities, or is just a loser, is another misread on the movie. It's funny, but not true. He wasn't a total loser. he just lacked confidence, lacked the ability to live in the present. That night and Vincent's influence forced him out of the comfort zone, and he was able to save his life, and someone he cared about.

he's observant. he's empathetic, he's understanding, he's compassionate. Vincent is also observent, but cold, alone, unable to relate to others. They both read each other right.
Dap and rep

Sane

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London Town
Hilarious concept, one of my favorite movies of all time, and Mann is my all time director. Saw in theaters twice as a kid, 20 years ago, and made a lifetime impression. A lot of the same themes in his movies and writing.

For Vincent, this is because he can kill or be killed at any moment. He lives his life 100% in the present. There is nothing outside of this moment. Because he doesn't care. Similar to James Cann in Thief, and to De Niro in Heat. This is the pysche of a professional criminal. Cann says "you got to get to the point where nothing means nothing", and De Niro famous line "don't get attached to anything you can't walk out in 30 seconds or less" and Pacino's response "that's sounds pretty vacant... no...."

This is NOT the way upper middle class to middle class/lower class live their lives. For them, it's all about attachment. Commitment. Planning for the future. For the contrast, this is also NOT the way gangsters in movies like Goodfellas talk, for them there are clear values like family. Honor. That keep them committed and grounded.

he's observant. he's empathetic, he's understanding, he's compassionate. He has a blind spot with his limo thing, but he's grounded. He's humble. He's kind. Vincent is also observent, but cold, alone, unable to relate to others. They both read each other right.
Great analysis :salute: :wow:

TEH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
MV5BMTI3ODc5MDQyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDMzMTQyMw@@._V1_.jpg

A socially awkward, intelligent, introspective nikka nerd. :wow:

He also cant beak out of his inhibitions to be the person wants to be. One of the few accurate depictions of a slightly nerdy breh. Not some over top Steve Urkel shyt.

I know a lot of coli brehs had to see a little bit of themselves in this character. :wow:

Such an great movie and performance. You just don't black characters portrayed with this type of depth. :wow:
Very true

It’s sad that sitcoms had a better and more realistic range of black characters than serious movies.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
what I love about this movie, is that Mann's direction, the sense of time and place, a sharp script, Foxx and Jada's performances, the first 10 minutes are so good, that as a viewer, you are ready to watch a love story between Foxx and Jada. They have such a real feel to them. Foxx character was from Ladera Heights or something close, he had a whole back story. So did she. As 30 something black people in LA.

Only realized that after watching the movie well into my adulthood, around like 30, because it felt so authentic. I have met women like that. Crossing trains. Instant connections. Fates thrown together.

Most movies today don't have that kind of authenticity. It's all ironic in jokes and twitter references. That scene could have taken place 20 years ago, or 40 years ago, and not much changes. Or right now.

Last edited:

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
what I love about this movie, is that Mann's direction, the sense of time and place, a sharp script, Foxx and Jada's performances, the first 10 minutes are so good, that as a viewer, you are ready to watch a love story between Foxx and Jada. They have such a real feel to them.

Only realized that after watching the movie well into my adulthood, around like 30, because it felt so authentic. I have met people like that. Crossing trains. Instant connections. Fates thrown together.

Most movies today don't have that kind of authenticity. It's all ironic in jokes and twitter references. That scene could have taken place 20 years ago, or 40 years ago, and not much changes. Or right now.

That's what makes the movie hold up so well it's the meanings behind the sentences that are being made and the careful crafted development of the characters

It's as much as a human story between two polar strangers as it is a hitman and a cab driver.

And plus it was just you could see that happening right now in real time

A hitman getting off the airport getting into a cab killing people and flying right back out like nothing happened