Jamaica's birth rate has quickly fallen to concerning levels.

concise

Veteran
Daps

Jamaica’s total fertility rate (TFR) has declined significantly from 4.5 births per female between 1973 and 1975 to 1.9 in 2021, contributing to a decrease in the country’s population estimate, The Jamaica Gleaner reported on Sunday, Feb. 11.

This is one of the findings of the Reproductive Health Survey Jamaica (RHS) 2021, which was officially disseminated to the public by the National Family Planning Board (NFPB) at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel in New Kingston on Friday.

“Age specific fertility rates fell in all age groups except 25-29 years and probably reflects a delayed start to childbearing into their late 20s, while women completed their education,” said Professor Affette McCaw-Binns, a sexual and reproductive health and epidemiology expert who was presenting the findings.

Jamaica continues to face a low birth rate problem with the total number of live births in the country declining sharply over the last 20 years.

In 2021, there were 31,276 live births compared to 40,508 in 2010 and 56,134 in 2000.

Overall, Jamaica’s crude birth rate, which is the number of annual live births per 1000 population, declined by 10.2 percentage points from 21.7 per 1000 population in 2000 to 11.4 per 1000 population in 2022.

As recently as 2019, a benchmark study by the United Nations Population Division for 2020 to 2100 forecast that fertility in Latin American and Caribbean countries would stabilize at an average of around 1.75 children per woman in the latter half of this century. Stunningly, except for Mexico, all the countries listed in this graph have already dropped below this level. Uruguay, Costa Rica, Chile, Jamaica, and Cuba now have total fertility rates of around 1.3 children per woman—the so-called “ultra-low fertility” threshold that has only been seen in a handful of European and East Asian countries.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
St louis
Batty mon!!!!
:scusthov:

UKVu0t8.gif

bnew

Veteran
Daps
This people are less likely to have as many kids because frankly people are now better parents

I think it would help if the base number of working hours should be reduced by at least 10 to 15 hours a week to provide a basic living conditions and individuals should be able to choose to work more hours on a week to week basis based on their current situation or personal goals/drive. fewer people have time to really live and form meaningful relationships and devote the necessary time to raise a family.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Economics
The doctor said that the state worked to help vulnerable segments with family planning. I read that as reducing poverty levels by encouraging poor people to have fewer children.
People with more stable finances are having fewer children partly along the same lines.
The big families of past generations are a relic of the past.

Also wonder if birthrates have fallen as sharply across the Caribbean.

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
I have siblings I found out about in my late teens, friends who's parents treated kid A better than kid B, friends who had to basically help raise their siblings because their parents had to work all the time to put food on the table and a roof over their heads.

But the Jamaican government wants Jamaicans to have more kids.
:mjlol:

It's like when the older heads with 7 kids tell me to have kids now, and I see how much they're struggling
:mjlol:

Fix the damn country and help the people properly man
:heh:

Hawaiian Punch

umop-apisdn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The I in Team
Am I off or isn’t birth rates declining around the entire world? This isn’t a problem specific to jamaica. People are no longer having 8 or 9 kids because they don’t need extra hands working the farm. It’s industrialization, birth control, low sperm count and social media that is causing less kids being born imo.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
They are leaving the country far too much.

The Jamaican diaspora is almost as big as the native population.

they need to go home and fix it up

2 million Jamaicans outside of Jamaica and 2.8 inside

that’s ridiculous
Not happening. Jamaican women some of the biggest assimilationists among the black diaspora. Even moreso than Nigerians.