Albums J. Cole - The Off-Season (Discussion Thread)

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
Pride is the Devil is Vintage Cole-feature verse aside. The beat, the hook, the cadence... man that first verse sounds like something off Friday Night Lights
full

I’ve really disliked that double tim fast flow he’s been doing but it worked on the 2nd verse , especially the transition to Lil Baby.

I really wasn’t too excited for this to be honest because his last couple (3/4) project were unable to keep my interest or i might’ve replayed it a couple times and that’s it.

But this right here? The intro, the. climb.back , the 21 joint, Applying Pressure , shyt pretty much the whole project is really good. This a great piece of work, We’ll see if it stands the rest of time , but this is right there with FNL, Warm Up and 2014 FHD
284031d0f8517ed5146f3d8fecfd0f76.png

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Lol last page show you that no matter how much you enjoy an album , there’s always gonna be a few nikkas on the coli that’s gonna bring their think piece out to critics the album to a T .

no substance lol but when he dropped KOD to spread a message y’all called it trash.

he’s working with other producers , now it’s trash

I see the comments in here getting more and more negative as the thread goes on.

My question is, what do you guys want? Cole is not only keeping his blades sharp six albums in, twelve years in, but he's listening to the criticism and adjusting accordingly. At this point in a rapper's career, it's rare for them to make work that can legitimately compete with their earlier days. They either maintain consistency as much as they can or they lose their ear for music and fall off in an embarrassing fashion. What Cole just did isn't normal for a rapper at this stage of their career. You can make a legitimate argument that this is his best album, and he's gotten better since his earlier work (not counting the mixtapes).

If you don’t like this album, it's over. I don't know if it's possible for Cole to please you. You're better off ignoring him and coming back for the occasional track that moves you. Like @Groovy Tony said, we need to start taking music for what it is instead of treating every song and album like some science project that needs to be analyzed. Salute to Cole for trying to top himself. :obama:

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
He has no signature beats:yeshrug: notta one:francis:

Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should:umad:

Just cause prince knew all those instruments and could produce :whoa: let's be honest some that sh*t sounded like sh*t....

Take your ability and delegate:manny:

It just means whoever you got producing for you / you understand the process and know what to ask for and how to put together a more complete project...
He does have signature beats. Wet Dreams, GOMD, Grown Simba and I could go on and on.

you're a liar!