Albums J. Cole - The Off-Season (Discussion Thread)

bordeaux

xxx
Daps
Reppin
God's Plan
beats were def more enjoyable than usual. could instantly tell he used outside collabs. my only criticism would be maybe too many rehashed samples for my liking. i do think he's rapping a high level the majority of the songs here. not getting the classic vibes im reading here but one of his stronger albums, for sure.

edit: finally. been irking me where id heard this before all day

Last edited:

The D-List Vet

Being in a recommendation system.
Daps
Reppin
Coli.
J Cole, 2013: "I hate rich n****s, goddamn it / cause I aint never had a lot, damn it / Who you had to kill? Who you had to rob? / Who you had to fukk just to make it to the top, damn it?"

J Cole, 2021: "If you broke a clowning a millionaire, the joke is on you!"
Like coke said in "let go my hand" "do some livin'
Let time provide a new prescription"

Daps
He really needs to work with other producers. Upon initial listen I’d still take KOD over this.
the album was 90 percent other producers but it didnt really help in this case. I guess we fukked up the formula thinking that would fix his problem.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
shut da whole album off after that Luigi bar :mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

Bro I really thought he was gonna drop a classic

he really said “shells everywhere we made the Easter bunny proud” “you don’t want it one on one shoutout to kyla Pratt” the album was full of terrible bars

His flow was on point but there was nothing on here that makes me want to listen to it again

tinnyskillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Paterson/Passaic, New Jersey
On Let Go My Hand i noticed Cole kind of rapping like old Kendrick (Overly Dedicated era). He even says “Ignorance is Bliss”. Which is a song off that tape, plus the diddy situation involved Kendrick. I might be thinking too much into it but just in case i’m right i said it first lol.

bigde09

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That Luigi bar was Eminem status. :russ:

I do think he is spitting overall. I need to do a whip test

Tommy Sheppard

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
After skimming the first few tracks......

Not feeling it. Cole is a dope lyricist but making dope songs is more about the lyrics.

He should’ve done a collab with the alchemist.

so much heat dropped last year so nikkas need to step it up.
nothing anybody does satisfies you nikkas.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Finishing my first listen. Its okay. I feel like Cole stans will gas this like a classic----->this ain't that. And Cole haters will say its worse than it is...

Shout out to Cole and his team for the rollout promos, because the anticipation was better than the record actually is. And I'm saying this as a longtime Cole fan, though I've never been a superfan/stan...

Cole has several drops better than this, I'll have to listen more than once to see where it ranks but off first listen I'm skeptical it'll make his Top 5. The Warm Up, Friday Night Lights, Born Sinner, Forest Hills Drive, 4 Your Eyez Only, and KOD are all better than this. And while I agree that most of Cole's work is more "really good" than legitimate "classic", I dont know why cats act like he has no classics or Forest Hills is his only one...

This joint is okay. They sold it well, its not so thorough as I expected it to be...

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
It’s actually pretty crazy how many all time greats we’re witnessing in real time right now

From Cole, Kendrick and Drake to Lebron and KD, Steph Curry.. the Tom Brady’s, etc.

Literal all time greats that’ll be in the history books.. we’re witnessing these people work in real time, and some people have their heads shoved too far up their own pretentious asses to even appreciate it. So unfortunate

It's fukking annoying bro...you can include the unsung hero or underground guys as well. Plus we still have dudes like Jay and Nas giving us verses after all these years. This album was great for mainstream hip hop man.