Albums J. Cole - The Off-Season (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Are you really a hiphop fan if you only listen to nas and old school artists

Go listen to savage mode 2 right now, its fire. get a pulse on what the game sounds like today:francis:

I don’t only listen to old school.

I listen to Cole, Kendrick, Childish Gambino, Krit…Artists with something to SAY.

Savage never came across as an artist that had anything to SAY but with his current guest verses all being fire i’m inclined to give him a chance.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
good production, good to hear other voices, Cole sounds good but....Cole tricks yall man;

apart from the first joint, the songs that are more of the "show how nice I am" variety don't do much for me. like I said he sounds good but the bars are like "yeah, ok ??" I think it that he's that not good at flexing at his audience.

Feeling the same, after a few listens.

I was talking about it last night with someone. There are wack rappers who have zero talent, but do a dope job of pitching themselves because they have mad personality and presence. Cole has all the right components around him and actual talent, and gets more than enough outside co-signage, but still comes off unconvincing with how he pitches his shyt. He always sounds like he's trying, rather than doing. I appreciate his shyt, and like what I'm hearing, but I find that I rarely go back and listen after a few times. It's almost like there's no soul in his shyt.

SnowflakesByTheOZ

Sorry, that's another B
Daps
That intro song :ohhh::ohhh:

when I heard Cam I had to check my phone to make sure I was listening to the right thing. :russ:

I’m gonna listen to this throughout the day.
Same. I got ‘Confessions of Fire’ on my phone too so I was like damn why is Spotify fukking up like that lmao then I heard him say Off Season

KnickstapeCity

:mjpls:
Daps
Reppin
New York

I listen to Cole, Kendrick, Childish Gambino, Krit…Artists with something to SAY.

Savage never came across as an artist that had anything to SAY but with his current guest verses all being fire i’m inclined to give him a chance.
:russ: 21 fukking Savage? Any song with him on is an automatic skip for me, no matter who else is on it.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Carter 5 had much more substance than this.

I don't understand why when I talk about one artist you guys always go back to my favorite artists like that is supposed to affect me or something LOL
Carter 4? Carter 3? Substance ain’t Wayne’s strong suit. Never really has been. But u right. No need to mention him.

SnowflakesByTheOZ

Sorry, that's another B
Daps
This is a good album off 1st listen. Honestly it feels too short. Definitely my most enjoyed Cole project. About to spin again

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Feeling the same, after a few listens.

I was talking about it last night with someone. There are wack rappers who have zero talent, but do a dope job of pitching themselves because they have mad personality and presence. Cole has all the right components around him and actual talent, and gets more than enough outside co-signage, but still comes off unconvincing with how he pitches his shyt. He always sounds like he's trying, rather than doing. I appreciate his shyt, and like what I'm hearing, but I find that I rarely go back and listen after a few times. It's almost like there's no soul in his shyt.
It’s just that not every artist is for everybody. I gotta listen to this album more. Cause while I think it’s fire there’s something that feels a lil hollow about it. Maybe cause I listened to it really late at night.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Carter 4? Carter 3? Substance ain’t Wayne’s strong suit. Never really has been. But u right. No need to mention him.
C4 was a mixtape. I wasn't a big fan.

C3 had a bunch of concepts and meaningful songs. So did C5.

But again....bringing up my favorite rapper when yall disagree with my opinion is weird to me.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County

I'd leave gambino out of that conversation because he doesn't have anything to say. I do think he's nice and I am a fan tho. Funny tho cuz the last major artist to get a gambino feature was 21 savage. :pachaha:

21 doesn't have anything to say but that doesn't mean the music isn't dope. A lot of our favorite artists from back in the day weren't saying anything. Just look at ghostface and busta. 2 of my favorite old school artists and yet relatively few songs that have legit subject matter and substance. Dope is dope.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
C4 was a mixtape. I wasn't a big fan.

C3 had a bunch of concepts and meaningful songs. So did C5.

But again....bringing up my favorite rapper when yall disagree with my opinion is weird to me.
C4 was a wack album. C3 was an overhyped Album. C5 was an ok album. Too much fat tho. C1 and C2 were great albums. Ur right about that last part I bolded. Salute.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
It’s just that not every artist is for everybody. I gotta listen to this album more. Cause while I think it’s fire there’s something that feels a lil hollow about it. Maybe cause I listened to it really late at night.

Thing is, I like Cole's music. But after a few listens, I always notice that I stop fukking with his shyt. Dude could be going off on every beat and have the best production, and I'll think it's dope, but there's always this thing where it still comes off dry or kinda bland, to me. I think it's what someone else said, there's no "soul' in the music. It's good and he's talented, but I'm not feeling anything from it. It's not moving me.