Albums J. Cole - The Off-Season (Discussion Thread)

Bossino

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
It doesn’t, his most objective fans all admit he needs to expand production and it’d definitely help with replay value of his albums.

His numbers, ability to start a label, and retire from the rap game say otherwise. You along with others may not like it but y'all welcome to KIM

It's crazy how people who aren't even real fans think artists owe them jack shyt

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
His numbers, ability to start a label, and retire from the rap game say otherwise. You along with others may not like it but y'all welcome to KIM

It's crazy how people who aren't even real fans think artists owe them jack shyt
Man, miss me with that real fan shyt. Been riding with cole since the warm up. I’m a fan of bruh, nah, I’m not a cole stan, but it is a common opinion amongst his fans, and haters, that he should branch out production wise. Y’all nikkas need to stop being sensitive to every critique, take that cape off.

Bossino

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Man, miss me with that real fan shyt. Been riding with cole since the warm up. I’m a fan of bruh, nah, I’m not a cole stan, but it is a common opinion amongst his fans, and haters, that he should branch out production wise. Y’all nikkas need to stop being sensitive to every critique, take that cape off.

That's great but I don't let people just throw words around, it clearly works musically, financially, etc.. Now if he wanted to expand his artistry fan base, intrigue, etc. he could get varied production, but saying it doesn't work isn't factual, plain and simple.

I think Drake is one of the, if not the most shallow large artists in terms of musical depth in the last 20 years. But for me to say his music doesn't work would also be wrong.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is just fascinating that J. Cole haters just cannot stand that this dude continues to succeed beyond their own expectations. Today's rap music is all shallow, their production is redundantly soulless. There's no variation whatsoever in its artistry at all. But the haters of J. Cole want to criticize that because he prefers to make his own music which been working for him since day one, they make it one of their chief arguments. It's funny to me, in this case, T-Minus was the producer of this joint, and they STILL talking about it's "mid"....due to what exactly? No matter what, J. Cole haters are going to hate just because they cannot stand his success, they cannot stand his fans, and they cannot understand why he keeps winning. I mean, J. Cole haven't taken a L since god knows when.

If J. Cole not for you, then he's not. But to keep on bytching over the most ridiculous shyt such as he makes his own beats, I mean if it's never broke, why would he ever want to fix it? To a mass more fans? He gets a larger fan base after each project.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The success argument is one thing, but it doesn't absolve someone of criticism. I mean, Eminem used to make his own beats and still sold shytloads even though we all hated it.

Cole's beats aren't even close to being as bland as Em's, but they don't always work either.

It's very, very rare that actual lyricists are able to make quality beats. DJ Quik maybe, but he isn't as lyrical as a Cole or Em.

I think Cole should save his best 2-3 beats for his album and get more outside help, and he will finally have his undisputed "classic"

Vintage Eclectic

Lord of the Sky
Daps
Reppin
Chi-York
fukk what anybody say Foldin' Clothes might be my most played track on that album. As a breh who hasn't really come close to genuine love, that's what I'd like it to be. Growth, changing your perspective, and habits for the better for/because of a woman who wants to see YOU win.

Frankly I think people were repelled by that track and album because they've never had anything close to something as real/genuine portrayed on that album. In an era of transactional relationships, networking, tricking and trying to care less than the next man, the song and album is the polar opposite. Growth, sacrifice, love, introspection, and shedding bad habits would play poorly with nikkas and hos stuck on trap beats, scamming, hitting licks, twerking, finessing, looking at for self only and getting theirs by any means.

In the words of Masta Killa "The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum" :yeshrug:

Yeah that's cool and all breh but there are those who have not only experienced that but are living it. I respect the introspective soliloquy but so what? I still don't like the track. And yes, it's still corny:martin:

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Name one mind blowing INTERLUDE :jbhmm:

I'm find it funny that people are suddenly putting high standards on interludes.... no interlude supposed to be the standout part of the album. If one is, that entire album is lackluster. Interludes are typically just breathers between the main joints of the album.

EDIT... Brias interlude song wasn't "mind blowing"
It's better than this shyt. Even that Rich nikkaz on Born Sinner was a dope interlude(yes I consider that an interlude and I'm not gonna argue about it). El's interlude on Rhythamilsm. Drake's Cece interlude was fire! I could go on and on but my point still stands that this was a weird way to intro an album roll out and maybe it'll make sense once we get the album.

I mean Cole always goes left with roll outs anyway, remember the whole Kill Edward thing.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The success argument is one thing, but it doesn't absolve someone of criticism. I mean, Eminem used to make his own beats and still sold shytloads even though we all hated it.

Cole's beats aren't even close to being as bland as Em's, but they don't always work either.

It's very, very rare that actual lyricists are able to make quality beats. DJ Quik maybe, but he isn't as lyrical as a Cole or Em.

I think Cole should save his best 2-3 beats for his album and get more outside help, and he will finally have his undisputed "classic"

A bit of apples and oranges. J. Cole STARTED off making his own beats. His entire career and fan base is based purely off his beats and rhymes. Music is subjective, so if it's not for you that's fine, but if it's something that's been working for him for his entire career and he is continuing to have his fan base grow stronger, why would he change due to the minority want him under other producers? Ignoring the fact that people STILL going to hate when someone ELSE produces, this track IN PARTICULAR being the prime example?

The reason why it is apples and oranges, Eminem DID NOT START OFF PRODUCING his shyt. He had the BASS BROTHERS & DR. DRE doing his production. He was already a megastar by the time he decided to make his own beats. And it wasn't something people liked. That's completely different from J. Cole who done of his own shyt since the very beginning. So, the hate isn't on the BEATS. It's a lame excuse, because there's still hating no matter who produced it.

Bossino

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Yeah that's cool and all breh but there are those who have not only experienced that but are living it. I respect the introspective soliloquy but so what? I still don't like the track. And yes, it's still corny:martin:

Fair enough I can agree to disagree :yeshrug:

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
This shyt is wack and rolling out your album with an interlude is wack take them capes off

It was a soul sample beat with weak drums, some rambling shyt talking, a mid sing songy flow, and the Nipsey/Pimp C/Jesus died at 33 line is getting killed deservingly so

Last edited:

NerdNash

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
I want to love Cole music but I just don’t.

Actually, I don’t even think I want to love it.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Nice, I look forward to seeing him make a bunch of dope beats that are nowhere to be heard on the actual album
As usual. Wish Hov would have used that Brooklyn on the way beat though smh.