Ive never squated or deadlifted in my life.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL

not to be judgmental but one look at him does not give the appearance that "athleticism" was in his interests at all while working out

alot of lifters past a certain point have to create "straw mans" to keep the motivaton going but end up working out for pride alone. If you going to work out it should still be about physique building rather than a numbers game

physique bodybuilding >>

NFL guys hit eachother (200-350 lb men) for 4 years on avg before the major injuries start flaring up and they get millions in the process. A typical weightlifter is not getting hit by 200-350 lb men and doesnt need to train like one

that said, hang cleans and power cleans are superior to deadlifting for actual raw power but many commercial gyms dont like them at all

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't really understand this argument because it seems to come from people who have very specific goals when it comes to squatting or deadlifting and then they get on these podcasts or social media and talk about it like it's advice for everyone.

If you're competing in strength events or sports at the highest level....sure I can understand why squats or deadlifts may not be ideal. Because at that level you're trying to be as strong or as explosive as possible, and you're doing it with a lot of weight. At that point the risk vs reward might make it not worthwhile.

But for the regular Joe on the street, they don't need to squat or pull 500 lbs. They COULD, but they don't need to.
And maybe variations like hack squats or hex bar deadlifts offer more safety and those are good too -- especially depending on your height, injury history, flexibility, etc...

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I don't really understand this argument because it seems to come from people who have very specific goals when it comes to squatting or deadlifting and then they get on these podcasts or social media and talk about it like it's advice for everyone.

If you're competing in strength events or sports at the highest level....sure I can understand why squats or deadlifts may not be ideal. Because at that level you're trying to be as strong or as explosive as possible, and you're doing it with a lot of weight. At that point the risk vs reward might make it not worthwhile.

But for the regular Joe on the street, they don't need to squat or pull 500 lbs. They COULD, but they don't need to.
And maybe variations like hack squats or hex bar deadlifts offer more safety and those are good too -- especially depending on your height, injury history, flexibility, etc...
But squats help with explosiveness. And most of the time the people who are against squats will load up the leg press machine which I would argue is worst on your body than squats.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
But squats help with explosiveness. And most of the time the people who are against squats will load up the leg press machine which I would argue is worst on your body than squats.
I think the leg press machine is fine.
Perhaps people don't use it correctly and don't get the full range of motion out of it.

For me, I find I get a better quad stretch out of the hack squat or v squat machine than a leg press, while still getting my back supported.

But again my point is that I do not think squats and deadlifts are that dangerous.