I've been trying to figure out why current games feel soulless.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Problem is games are the same price as they were a decade ago but development costs have skyrocketed. You can't make a AAA game with a small team and now for people to check for your shyt you need a fully orchestrated soundtrack, voice acting, online gameplay, top notch graphics, etc... And most likely you licensing the engine the game runs off as well.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Gaming right now is just like the rap game.

There are gems out there they just are in the spotlight anymore. There use to be heavy variety in the mainstream of gaming. Now the market is super saturated with wanna be triple A cinematic experiences.

If it wasn't for nintendo gaming would be pretty disgusting right now.

There are a lot of great indie titles out now, and some sleeper hits like Divinity 2, Shadow tactic's, and then some.... but they all get highly glossed over.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Problem is games are the same price as they were a decade ago but development costs have skyrocketed. You can't make a AAA game with a small team and now for people to check for your shyt you need a fully orchestrated soundtrack, voice acting, online gameplay, top notch graphics, etc... And most likely you licensing the engine the game runs off as well.

I agree with this also, and gamers are way to spoiled to accept otherwise. It would have to be a unanimous agreement among all companies to charge more.

Its weird because games use to be like 80 bucks plus then cd's came out and they dropped in price heavy....and they have only risen about 10 bucks since then..... while development cost have sky rocketed.

However the gaming market is WAY bigger than it was two decades ago, most games weren't really going to create a franchise or make a company back then. Where as now you can create a empire if you catch your stride on a game or two (rockstar cd projeckt)

Last edited:

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
And what game is forcing identity politics down your throat cac?

Developers are now being harassed and forced to cater to peoples racial and gender sensibilities when making games. Uncharted 4 is an example, when people were upset because Nadine's voice actor was a white woman and making a big stink about it. shyt is pathetic and cringe worthy.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
You clearly haven't played

Limbo

Inside

This War of Mine.

Wolfenstein

Mafia III

Gaming is in good fukking shape and has a lot of meat and soul.

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
Only game this gen i feel like has some soul or that old school chilhood vibe growing up is

maxresdefault.jpg

During the beta for it i felt like i was in a time machine

Maybe its just ultra nostalgic but it feels so PS2ish in good way.

But the creator also wanted to make this for years, so theres also that.

Kairi Irving

Daps
You clearly haven't played

Limbo

Inside

This War of Mine.

Wolfenstein

Mafia III

Gaming is in good fukking shape and has a lot of meat and soul.

Mafia lll was still trash. Great Story but gameplay was just sad.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
You lost if you’re relying on AAA for gaming. :manny:

2 of my top 5 favorite gaming experiences this gen have been from AA titles like Life is Strange and Ratchet and Clank. Can’t wait til when I get a pc, then I’ll eat off smaller scale games like Fe; Hat in Time, and Deceit.

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
Maybe if more studios delay their games like Rockstar theyd be dropping masterpieces too.
That being said.

The Breh said "soul"

There were moments in that game where I was fully immersed in to the world.

The story was so good that I was frustrated while playing because I wanted to get to the story.

That's why I mentioned it.

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
I think GTA V lowkey set the bar high for a lot of games

With that being said , games budgets are to insane to really have soul in them like they use too

Back in the day you had 5-10 guys working on a game , now you have multiple sets of teams (with also other studios ) all trying to meet there quota and get the game out fast as possible

It's all about profit

Kairi Irving

Daps
I think GTA V lowkey set the bar high for a lot of games

With that being said , games budgets are to insane to really have soul in them like they use too

Back in the day you had 5-10 guys working on a game , now you have multiple sets of teams (with also other studios ) all trying to meet there quota and get the game out fast as possible

It's all about profit

I think thats the GTA series effect on gaming in general. V was probably the weakest GTA story ever and it still shyts on other games.

OmegaZero

Zero
Daps
I don't play as much video games as back when I was a kid but man, playing games like Crash :mjgrin:, Bloodborne :whew:, Dark souls 3 :wow:, FighterZ :banderas:, and Persona 5 :lawd: made me feel like a kid again. I'm still looking to games like God of War, Red Dead Redemption, and 5mash (even though I dont have a Switch yet :mjlol:)

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
As a adult I enjoyed these simple games, the story had me like :ehh:

1.Machinarium
2.Bad Mojo
3. microsoft freelancer