I've been trying to figure out why current games feel soulless.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Yea the answer OP is looking for is the DLC/lootbox era destroying the architecture of a well produced game
We could study Final Fantasy 15 as an example of where gaming has ended up
Rushed story, unfinished plotlines, no depth to any characters.. (cause that's an extra 15 dollars DLC)

Both EA Star Wars battlefront games come to mind too. Base characters hidden behind 40+ hours worth of pay and no story mode at all on the first one. NBA 2k is another example. No time put into making season mode more engaging or fixing issues in game play where the AI does stupid shyt since all their time goes into my player and pushing you to buy virtual currency or ultimate team packs for my team. The first titan fall didn’t have a campaign. There was next to no real depth to the battlefield 1 single player mode. I heard that the last watchdogs game was a big letdown with all the dlc. Halo wars 2 had a mode that while it’s fun, is clearly built totally around micro transactions and didn’t have that deep a story, though there’s good potential and seemingly likeable characters. Before AC origins, the last single player game with a good story and characters that I found to be genuinely interesting that didn’t feel unfinished was maybe rise of the tomb raider and that was 2.5 years ago. Even halo 5 suffers from this issue even while not having micro transactions because multiplayer is ruined by lootboxes and power ups for war zone firefight. Gears 4 was one of the only cases I can think of not totally ruined by it but ditching the onyx medals was bad because again it has nothing to encourage you to play a certain way or play certain game modes.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Both EA Star Wars battlefront games come to mind too. Base characters hidden behind 40+ hours worth of pay and no story mode at all on the first one. NBA 2k is another example. No time put into making season mode more engaging or fixing issues in game play where the AI does stupid shyt since all their time goes into my player and pushing you to buy virtual currency or ultimate team packs for my team. The first titan fall didn’t have a campaign. There was next to no real depth to the battlefield 1 single player mode. I heard that the last watchdogs game was a big letdown with all the dlc. Halo wars 2 had a mode that while it’s fun, is clearly built totally around micro transactions and didn’t have that deep a story, though there’s good potential and seemingly likeable characters. Before AC origins, the last single player game with a good story and characters that I found to be genuinely interesting that didn’t feel unfinished was maybe rise of the tomb raider and that was 2.5 years ago. Even halo 5 suffers from this issue even while not having micro transactions because multiplayer is ruined by lootboxes and power ups for war zone firefight. Gears 4 was one of the only cases I can think of not totally ruined by it but ditching the onyx medals was bad because again it has nothing to encourage you to play a certain way or play certain game modes.
Watchdogs 2 was a petty good game you did not need to download any DLC to enjoy the story it kind a remind of Mr.robot TV show only not as mess up.

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
Lootboxes aren’t destroying anything. Star Wars was just a terrible one time greedy occurrence and the consumer responded in full. You dudes just bored with gaming

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
-Graphics and "epic" cinematic presentation prioritized over gameplay

-Gratuitous violence to cater to the lowest common denominator gamer, resulting in vapid, immature output ie; "hey buy this game because you can rip heads off and step on them and there's lots of blood and gore that looks real as fukk on your 4k TV!!!"

-Blatant money grabs/Designing games around DLC instead of the other way around

-Trying to make games more like movies, when the writing will rarely if ever be on par so it's a waste of time. I don't give a fukk if the guy from walking dead is in a game or not.

-Identity politics starting to affect gaming and development

-Open world copycat games. These days if a game is open world it's an automatic dub from me unless it's exceptional in every way

-These stupid "renovations" that come out 1-2 years after the initial release of a console. How about you actually support the console you came out with and convinced people to drop 400 dollars on? Only gamers are gullible enough to fall for this type of nonsense cycle after cycle after cycle.

The game I'm looking forward to most in the immediate future is hollow knight on switch :heh: I'm done with AAA games aside from select franchises like TLOU.

So we jus letting this slide? :mjpls:

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
For those of you saying Im probably losing interest. I game everyday on steam

hotbeezie

Go Dawgzz!!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
Sure the DLC added story, but for $60 do you feel the main game wasn't worth the price?

For me, I understand the complaints of story DLC filling in plot holes.

But at the same time, for $60 you're getting a lot more game than you would have in the past.

People seem to forget that over the last 10-15 years literally EVERYTHING has gone up in price except games. And you get more game for your money.

You nikkas is spoiled:hhh:

I hardly complain about games these days but this one in particular...it left entirely too much story out...I Platinumed this one. But the experience feels disjointed as fukk when you add the episode packs,comrades (which I could see being DLC), and the royal pack. AFTER you already completed the game.

:yeshrug:

Olu Dara

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Supporter
Daps
Might be because you are playing soulless games OP. There are plenty of games with character, especially indy games and Nintendo games

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
biggest problem this gen is there's more cons than pros.
cons:
graphics fags
no b tier games
trying to make every game open world when linear is far superior for certain titles
idiots who always buy games day 1 when they know they'll be broken
content being intentionally cut from a game to be sold as dlc
pros:
games dropping in price the fastest they ever have