I've been trying to figure out why current games feel soulless.

Dank Hill

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
And I honestly think its because damn near every other AAA game made is either a rpg of some type, a fps, or a combination of the two. Companies are afraid to take risks these days with all the money involved so they just stick with what works/sells. Make the same game as last year, but bigger. What ever happened to games like twisted metal, virtual on, cool boarders, time crisis, etc?

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
There’s little innovation to game engines and they rarely tell a compelling story, instead opting to find every way they can to flood the game with micro transactions and loot boxes to monetize the game as much as possible. Making most titles on an annual basis only further makes them feel like a soulless assembly line production.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
And I honestly think its because damn near every other AAA game made is either a rpg of some type, a fps, or a combination of the two. Companies are afraid to take risks these days with all the money involved so they just stick with what works/sells. Make the same game as last year, but bigger. What ever happened to games like twisted metal, virtual on, cool boarders, time crisis, etc?

Its weird because I've felt like this for awhile when it comes to triple A titles, from titan fall to Horizon a lot of games feel completely soul less. The main factor I came too was

1) money/DLC
2) Trying to FORCE a franchise
3) Listening to the "public opinions" on what should be in a game or what players wants.
4) Chasing trends
5) Graphics and cinematic experiences over gameplay.
6) Patches and updates.

This is why the switch this gen has been SUPER refreshing. Triple a games made with what seems like gameplay and gameplay experiences in mind 1st. Any switch 1st party game I've played everything from the world to the music has captured me. Most these triple A or even B games I can't remember any of the music and music use to be so key in, I feel like nintendo is the only company that still makes that a priority in there games.

Patches and dlc also kill the spirit of the game, you stuck? You can buy this, you want to unlock something 4.99 and you can just get it instead of having to beat the game. Games hard or there's some weird gltich (not game breaking but funny or useful) patched....

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Game development has become so expensive that risk taking on the AAA scale is at a minimum.

There have been some cool indies though, so that's where to go if you want something other than the same generic games over and over.

GetInTheTruck

Daps
Reppin
Queens
-Graphics and "epic" cinematic presentation prioritized over gameplay

-Gratuitous violence to cater to the lowest common denominator gamer, resulting in vapid, immature output ie; "hey buy this game because you can rip heads off and step on them and there's lots of blood and gore that looks real as fukk on your 4k TV!!!"

-Blatant money grabs/Designing games around DLC instead of the other way around

-Trying to make games more like movies, when the writing will rarely if ever be on par so it's a waste of time. I don't give a fukk if the guy from walking dead is in a game or not.

-Identity politics starting to affect gaming and development

-Open world copycat games. These days if a game is open world it's an automatic dub from me unless it's exceptional in every way

-These stupid "renovations" that come out 1-2 years after the initial release of a console. How about you actually support the console you came out with and convinced people to drop 400 dollars on? Only gamers are gullible enough to fall for this type of nonsense cycle after cycle after cycle.

The game I'm looking forward to most in the immediate future is hollow knight on switch :heh: I'm done with AAA games aside from select franchises like TLOU.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ehh I don't necessarily agree with this. Patches and updates have turned some broken games/great games and made them even better. I can see patches being problematic in the sense of a nerf/buff for a competitive online MP.

That’s mostly where I’m coming from with it.

However I feel like the cushion of knowing that a day one patch or an update can be applied after a games release has made developers or companies ok with releasing unpolished games that would have normally been delayed and worked on.

Same with dlc, stuff that would have normally been unlockeables or code cheats are now pre order bonuses and paid content

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Take out smash and and whatever game title you want

28950927_1658482797564904_4133126241022640128_n.jpg