Its time to remind you all that 4K is a lie

Red Money

All Star
Daps
OP is correct. Resolution is relative to distance, so beyond a certain distance, your eyes can't discern the difference between a 1080 and 4k TV. Hell, if you stand far back enough you can't tell the difference between a 4k TV and a 480i CRT. This is regarding just the display. When you bring the resolution of the source material into play, things change. Ideally, to get the most out of a display, the incoming signal should be of higher quality than your display. Meaning, if you had 2 1080p displays, but one was showing a movie in 1080p and the other TV was fed the same movie, but in 4k, the TV with the 4k feed will look slightly better. TVs have always done a better job down-rezing the incoming signal than upscaling it, So I always laugh at dudes with 8k TVs watching primarily 4k content.

This new CRT craze is stupid. CRTs were good, but not great. I use to own a 36" widescreen HD CRT. It was awesome, but when I replaced it with a Samsung D series 7000 Plasma, I never looked back. CRT was no longer king once Pioneer Elite released its first 72hz Plasma.

I'm an old-head who worked over 10 years selling ultra high-end A/V (Krell, McIntosh, B&W, Wilson, Faroudja, Runco, etc). I was also ISF certified around 2003 and use to calibrate TVs as a side hustle.

CRT is best for retro gaming visually and latency wise. Genesis, Ps1/PS2, NES etc look and perform accurately on CRT.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
CRT is best for retro gaming visually and latency wise. Genesis, Ps1/PS2, NES etc look and perform accurately on CRT.
As someone who grew up playing Atari 2600 all the way up to Xbox 360 on a CRT, this current CRT craze is silly. The vast majority of gamers fawning over playing retro games on CRT, are the same phony gaming snobs who swear they can't play any game at 30fps. Well, guess what, a 60hz interlaced image is 30fps. Playing retro games on an interlaced display can be nostalgic for older gamers, but it offers zero visual benefits. In fact its notorious for 60hz flicker. The actual visual benefits of CRT are shared with Plasma displays. So, I tell everyone to buy a used plasma. You can still find them for cheap, if not free, with relatively low hours. They come in 40"+ sizes. They also have all the legacy analog inputs as well as HDMI. Plasmas are inherently low latency displays. Any latency issues come from extra processing, that can be shut off in the picture settings. I agree playing retro games on a LCD doesn't feel right, but that's due to the flaws inherent to LCD technology. I never noticed any issues when I played retro games on my Plasma. So I stand by my statement.

Red Money

All Star
Daps
As someone who grew up playing Atari 2600 all the way up to Xbox 360 on a CRT, this current CRT craze is silly. The vast majority of gamers fawning over playing retro games on CRT, are the same phony gaming snobs who swear they can't play any game at 30fps. Well, guess what, a 60hz interlaced image is 30fps. Playing retro games on an interlaced display can be nostalgic for older gamers, but it offers zero visual benefits. In fact its notorious for 60hz flicker. The actual visual benefits of CRT are shared with Plasma displays. So, I tell everyone to buy a used plasma. You can still find them for cheap, if not free, with relatively low hours. They come in 40"+ sizes. They also have all the legacy analog inputs as well as HDMI. Plasmas are inherently low latency displays. Any latency issues come from extra processing, that can be shut off in the picture settings. I agree playing retro games on a LCD doesn't feel right, but that's due to the flaws inherent to LCD technology. I never noticed any issues when I played retro games on my Plasma. So I stand by my statement.

Maybe plasma has value. But it damn sure ain't working with light guns.

Glad I still have my 13inch DVD combo CRT bedroom TV from when I was in college. Ain't get LCD for the living room until near the end of my college run before circuit city closed all the stores, lol.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Maybe plasma has value. But it damn sure ain't working with light guns.

Glad I still have my 13inch DVD combo CRT bedroom TV from when I was in college. Ain't get LCD for the living room until near the end of my college run before circuit city closed all the stores, lol.
You are right about lightguns and any TV tech that isn't CRT. SINDEN makes a light gun that works on modern TV and is compatible with nearly all Pre-PS3 era gun games via emulation. Its not cheap though.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
OP is correct. Resolution is relative to distance, so beyond a certain distance, your eyes can't discern the difference between a 1080 and 4k TV. Hell, if you stand far back enough you can't tell the difference between a 4k TV and a 480i CRT. This is regarding just the display. When you bring the resolution of the source material into play, things change. Ideally, to get the most out of a display, the incoming signal should be of higher quality than your display. Meaning, if you had 2 1080p displays, but one was showing a movie in 1080p and the other TV was fed the same movie, but in 4k, the TV with the 4k feed will look slightly better. TVs have always done a better job down-rezing the incoming signal than upscaling it, So I always laugh at dudes with 8k TVs watching primarily 4k content.

This new CRT craze is stupid. CRTs were good, but not great. I use to own a 36" widescreen HD CRT. It was awesome, but when I replaced it with a Samsung D series 7000 Plasma, I never looked back. CRT was no longer king once Pioneer Elite released its first 72hz Plasma.

I'm an old-head who worked over 10 years selling ultra high-end A/V (Krell, McIntosh, B&W, Wilson, Faroudja, Runco, etc). I was also ISF certified around 2003 and use to calibrate TVs as a side hustle.
Imagine being this stupid :dead: