It's crazy how folks try to make being from the suburbs sound like a bad thing.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This only happens when suburban nikkas try to insert their opinion into hood shyt, or its offspring, aka rap

Been saying it's weird how there's a cultural divide between black ppl yet we listen to the same music or try to relate to the same cultural shyt like love and hip hop

I look at that the same way ppl look at vice reporting on hoodshyt...you're not from it but fetishizing it

Probably because Black ppl haven't diversified into different musical genres and haven't been accepted fully on tv and movies so we all have to take what we can get
To most people
Struggle, hood = real black

That's why I say folks just need to stay in their own lane or create their own lane :manny:

god shamgod

Veteran
Daps
All suburbs aren't affluent with green grass,fences and beautiful neighborhoods.In chicago there's grimey suburbs,with dope houses and nikkas gang bangin hard body.Maywood,Harvey IL are 2 examples.I've seen worst things in maywood than I've seen in the hood in chicago a maywood cop got shot in the head 6 times years ago.

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
This only happens when suburban nikkas try to insert their opinion into hood shyt, or its offspring, aka rap

Been saying it's weird how there's a cultural divide between black ppl yet we listen to the same music or try to relate to the same cultural shyt like love and hip hop

I look at that the same way ppl look at vice reporting on hoodshyt...you're not from it but fetishizing it

Probably because Black ppl haven't diversified into different musical genres and haven't been accepted fully on tv and movies so we all have to take what we can get

Not that I disagree with your general point in this post but you are assuming that rap is exclusively a hood music genre when the origins of rap were borrowed from other musical genres that weren't exclusively for the hood

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
It's not but I'm talking about thebkind that is. And the people listening to it going off doing Twitter memes, writing thinkpieces and etc.

It's why I hate what Drake does...you ain't bout that life...probably weren't near it but you're trying to connect any way

Hood and Black is not the same thing but we subconsciously think it is...otherwise ppl would stick to their lane

Yet QT can make movies about hitmen and Nazis. Never does anyone take an RnB singer to task for writing about heartbreak. "Was Toni ACTUALLY never gonna breathe again?"

I do agree that it's best for people who ain't about that life to leave it those that are, but not because of philosophy, because of the people out there who will be attracted to the negative vibes. You claim gangsta you gonna get gangstas coming at you. Kinda wish it wasn't so.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
the hood doesnt equal blackness. Poverty doesn't equal blackness. Being from the hood doesn't make anyone lesser or greater than the next person..

This is a HUGE problem. We do in fact equate poverty, struggle, unintellince and crime to blackness. This thread is a result of a deep underlying issue. The "suburb black" vs the "hood black" is one of many divisions within the black community. Both sides tend to look down upon the other.

If yall really want to get deep, there's a force out there thats continuing to fuel the stereotypes of both sides furthering the divide and also a big reason as to why alot of kids from good upbringings hide their true selves to appear more "street" :sas2:

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
You do have life on easy mode though. In comparison to people from the hood. I mean no disrespect By that either. It's just what it is.

I'm not telling you to feel bad about it, I'm saying that what it is.

I don't think it's that simple. You got kids from the hood that have all the food, toys, and clothes that some kids from the suburbs have. Most of my cousins grew up in rough areas and their life was no different than mine growing up. Obviously, they were closer to crime and bad influences, but they rode the same bikes and played the same Nintendo I played. I spent too much time in the hood growing up and even as an adult dealing with these brauds, to not notice that a lot of these kids aren't really "struggling". Now don't get me wrong, a lot of kids are starving and barely have a roof over their head. I ain't trying to imply that every kid in the projects rocks Jordans and has a PS4, but many of the ones I associated with don't have the same "war stripes" that people are implying comes with growing up in a bad area.

When Biggie's mom called him out on the exaggerated stories of his "desolate" upbringing, that was a prime example of being from a rough area without actually coming from desperation and abject poverty. Whereas with a cat like DMX, you know he came from the absolute gutter.

Now what I will say is that the peer pressure and social hierarchy is different in the hood than other areas. A lot of suburban dudes that went off to college, would have had not taken that same step. My friends and relatives didn't have that same influence that my family put on us. The ones from rough areas that did go to college came either came from a two parent family or had a beast of a mother that did not play games. So I guess the push to succeed is something that may or may not be there if you come from a lower class upbringing.

For reference, I grew up in a decent part of Carol City in a two parent family. So a black suburb with some rough elements but overall not a bad place to grow up, as long as you weren't overly soft.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Yet QT can make movies about hitmen and Nazis. Never does anyone take an RnB singer to task for writing about heartbreak. "Was Toni ACTUALLY never gonna breathe again?"

I do agree that it's best for people who ain't about that life to leave it those that are, but not because of philosophy, because of the people out there who will be attracted to the negative vibes. You claim gangsta you gonna get gangstas coming at you. Kinda wish it wasn't so.

Movies and Rap is a terrible analogy and needs to die.

Quentin Tarantino does not hang with goons and have a criminal records, plenty of gangster rappers do

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Movies and Rap is a terrible analogy and needs to die.

Quentin Tarantino does not hang with goons and have a criminal records, plenty of gangster rappers do

Art. Is art. One does not have to go to outerspace to write a rhyme about it. Hip Hop is THE ONLY artform that requires a background check to see if you are qualified to write your content.

I get it. I been writing since 83 and I seldom dwell on drugs and crime. Do I have any songs about being hood? Absolutely. It's in my DNA. Who else is gonna write about it? The dude laying dead? The guy going to the box for life?

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
nikkas need to dispel this notion that every suburb is the same. Everyone isn't living around a bunch of white people. There are various kinds of suburbs. The suburb I live in now is made up of mostly minorities. I don't have any white neighbors for the most part.

These nikkas live in the suburb next to mine and they're still in the hood :skip:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Art. Is art. One does not have to go to outerspace to write a rhyme about it. Hip Hop is THE ONLY artform that requires a background check to see if you are qualified to write your content.

I get it. I been writing since 83 and I seldom dwell on drugs and crime. Do I have any songs about being hood? Absolutely. It's in my DNA. Who else is gonna write about it? The dude laying dead? The guy going to the box for life?

It's different ways to write being hood. When you do it from a storytelling pov like slick rick ok...but when you're doing like Drake...you're a fraud.

I love if you're reading this it's too late because it sounded like a good mixtape made by Drake...but it probably sounded like a good mixtape cuz he didn't write it

Every time rappers use that movie analogy my intelligence is insulted

86\*/98

Chef Will Equilibrar Òkùnkùn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sparking blunts in the shade.
2005 called.

Underrated post.
200w.gif

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
It's different ways to write being hood. When you do it from a storytelling pov like slick rick ok...but when you're doing like Drake...you're a fraud.

I love if you're reading this it's too late because it sounded like a good mixtape made by Drake...but it probably sounded like a good mixtape cuz he didn't write it

Every time rappers use that movie analogy my intelligence is insulted

I agree my Breh. Never do I portray myself as something I'm not... well I got this one track about selling every kind of drug but it's clearly comedy.