Its crazy how fast Lake Mead is losing water - A Slow Disaster Unfolding

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Industries destroying the planet was around in the 1800s. Have you heard of the Industrial Revolution? The Oil Boom? Not sure if you're trolling

Doomsday end of time hysteria was also in the 1910s, 1930s, 1970s, early 2000s, and most recently 2012

Hysteria is big money for the News media
And we all eat this up unfortunately

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Outside of Washington and Oregon it doesn't rain on the west coast anymore

Outside of northern Oregon and Washington you mean. Southern Oregon has been fukked recently too, to the point where there's damn near water terrorists now.

I’ve always wondered why reverse osmosis would not be a viable solution on a large scale

Is it because the brine left over would be in such large scales it would be a issue? Or is the cost?

I worked on Reverse Osmosis plants on ships when I was in the navy. Some of the best water I ever tasted.

With modern reverse osmosis desalination plants, they use a ton of energy and create a ton of wastewater. Scaling that up is just hard, besides all the new plants we'd really be taxing our energy production. It's possible the tech will improve over time though.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Isn't it crazy we can build oil pipelines to Canada but can't build freshwater pipelines in the US?

Covered this earlier. You could build the pipelines but the shear volume necessary would be 100x pipelines. And it's way too expensive - with an oil pipeline you can recover the cost cause oil is profitable, but with water you'd need to spend billions in start-up costs and then pumping the water alone would increase your water bill by 500%. Not to mention massive environmental issues of storing all that water to send down the pipeline, all the environmental issues of building hundreds of pipelines, and the fact that you'd end up depleting water wherever you took it from too.

And that's before we even get into the logistics of having the pipeline go all the way over the Rocky Mountains.

Industries destroying the planet was around in the 1800s. Have you heard of the Industrial Revolution? The Oil Boom? Not sure if you're trolling

Doomsday end of time hysteria was also in the 1910s, 1930s, 1970s, early 2000s, and most recently 2012

Hysteria is big money for the News media
And we all eat this up unfortunately

Breh, if you're utterly and totaling uninformed on an issue, why speak as if you know what you're talking about? Why not read a book, or listen to people who have actually educated themselves, and learn something?

Industry right now is taxing the planet FAR higher than it was in the 1800s, it's not even close. Plus the damage is cumulative - it's not like the shyt they fukked up in the 1800s all just got better, the impact in many issues has been progressive. And WTF does random apocalypse cults have to do with actual reasoned science regarding our impacts?

p.s. - if you get your information on environmental and climate issues solely from profit-based news media, and have no scientific or environmental sources, seriously need to back up and start fixing the problem there. Thinking the "news media" is responsible for climate and ecological worries is ridiculous.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Covered this earlier. You could build the pipelines but the shear volume necessary would be 100x pipelines. And it's way too expensive - with an oil pipeline you can recover the cost cause oil is profitable, but with water you'd need to spend billions in start-up costs and then pumping the water alone would increase your water bill by 500%. Not to mention massive environmental issues of storing all that water to send down the pipeline, all the environmental issues of building hundreds of pipelines, and the fact that you'd end up depleting water wherever you took it from too.

And that's before we even get into the logistics of having the pipeline go all the way over the Rocky Mountains.

Breh, if you're utterly and totaling uninformed on an issue, why speak as if you know what you're talking about? Why not read a book, or listen to people who have actually educated themselves, and learn something?

Industry right now is taxing the planet FAR higher than it was in the 1800s, it's not even close. Plus the damage is cumulative - it's not like the shyt they fukked up in the 1800s all just got better, the impact in many issues has been progressive. And WTF does random apocalypse cults have to do with actual reasoned science regarding our impacts?

p.s. - if you get your information on environmental and climate issues solely from profit-based news media, and have no scientific or environmental sources, seriously need to back up and start fixing the problem there. Thinking the "news media" is responsible for climate and ecological worries is ridiculous.

Stop quoting me fakkit

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
Outside of Washington and Oregon it doesn't rain on the west coast anymore
This Seattle summer looks like it won't begin until after July 4th and I'm okay with that.

I doubt we'll get 14 days of 80+degree weather...we damn sure ain't gonna hit 90degree this summer :pachaha:

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I have family in both Michigan and Wisconsin. Would you say Michigan and Wisconsin are equally good in terms if how they won't be that impacted?
Honestly I cannot say which two states are better in terms of how they'll be impacted. I think every state will be impacted in some way. And I think the midwest (which includes MI and WI) will be vulnerable to severe weather events and an influx of displaced people from other regions of the country. It may be some time before that happens (if it happens) but its good to plant your roots now to prepare you and your family.