Its crazy how fast Lake Mead is losing water - A Slow Disaster Unfolding

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
So glad I didn't move to Southern Cali

FYI, desalination isn't an answer either.
I’ve always wondered why reverse osmosis would not be a viable solution on a large scale

Is it because the brine left over would be in such large scales it would be a issue? Or is the cost?

I worked on Reverse Osmosis plants on ships when I was in the navy. Some of the best water I ever tasted.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Rhakim

@Micky Mikey

What are the best states to live in the United States to live to suffer the least effects of this crisis or is the whole United States going to be drastically effected? I currently live in Georgia.
I always thought this analysis from ProPublica was pretty good in determining how certain regions of the US will be impacted.

Me personally I plan on staying in the Great Lakes area. I would eventually like to buy some land in a remote area and build a homestead for my family.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I’ve always wondered why reverse osmosis would not be a viable solution on a large scale

Is it because the brine left over would be in such large scales it would be a issue? Or is the cost?

I worked on Reverse Osmosis plants on ships when I was in the navy. Some of the best water I ever tasted.

There's no silver bullet solution. It needs to be a mix of solutions. On your ship, the water filtered at most was for a couple thousand folks. We're talking about 4 extra zeros for the southwest ALONE.

RO uses 3x as much water to get clean usable water AND you're still left with the problem of what to do with the wastewater. Humans use 100 gallons of water a day, multiply that by millions of people, it's still the same problem.

The technology of the future should focus on minimization NOT maximization. Every technology proposed is maintaining the status quo and as more people get to a "first world" standard of living it's going to get worse, because no one is giving up:
• Meat
• Avocados
• Almonds, walnuts, pecans
• Cars
• Internet
• Fast fashion

Bar none, the biggest thing people could do to save the planet ironically is switch to nuclear power. It has the smallest environmental impact on anything that maintains the status quo as everyone adopts an American lifestyle.

Bottomline, humans are wasteful. Thanos was right. Until individual people realize they have a stake in this and not just corporations, it's going to get worse. People in this very thread highlighted the southwest population has grown 10x in the last 100 years...in the fukking desert no less. That's a people problem not just corporations. It's easy to point the finger there because it means you the individual don't have to stop eating cheeseburgers and driving a v8 everyday

I know all of this because I work for a major plastics manufacturer, previously several food manufacturers and what we do is defined by customer demand, not the other way around.

TallMan_J

Retired from TheColi
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Retired
Why in the fukk did I move to Arizona last year? Should’ve stayed my ass in Texas.
:snoop:

Better yet, maybe I should’ve never left where I was born and raised. Detroit, Michigan. Surrounded by the largest freshwater system on the planet. If things get really bad, Michigan could become prime real estate in America. I’m talking the new LA/SD.
:jbhmm:

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
I always thought this analysis from ProPublica was pretty good in determining how certain regions of the US will be impacted.

Me personally I plan on staying in the Great Lakes area. I would eventually like to buy some land in a remote area and build a homestead for my family.

I have family in both Michigan and Wisconsin. Would you say Michigan and Wisconsin are equally good in terms if how they won't be that impacted?

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
There's no silver bullet solution. It needs to be a mix of solutions. On your ship, the water filtered at most was for a couple thousand folks. We're talking about 4 extra zeros for the southwest ALONE.

RO uses 3x as much water to get clean usable water AND you're still left with the problem of what to do with the wastewater. Humans use 100 gallons of water a day, multiply that by millions of people, it's still the same problem.

The technology of the future should focus on minimization NOT maximization. Every technology proposed is maintaining the status quo and as more people get to a "first world" standard of living it's going to get worse, because no one is giving up:
• Meat
• Avocados
• Almonds, walnuts, pecans
• Cars
• Internet
• Fast fashion

Bar none, the biggest thing people could do to save the planet ironically is switch to nuclear power. It has the smallest environmental impact on anything that maintains the status quo as everyone adopts an American lifestyle.

Bottomline, humans are wasteful. Thanos was right. Until individual people realize they have a stake in this and not just corporations, it's going to get worse. People in this very thread highlighted the southwest population has grown 10x in the last 100 years...in the fukking desert no less. That's a people problem not just corporations. It's easy to point the finger there because it means you the individual don't have to stop eating cheeseburgers and driving a v8 everyday

I know all of this because I work for a major plastics manufacturer, previously several food manufacturers and what we do is defined by customer demand, not the other way around.
:ehh::ehh: You broke this down masterfully. Great response breh!

Alix217

Superstar
Daps
Isn't it crazy we can build oil pipelines to Canada but can't build freshwater pipelines in the US?

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
The lakes are not replenishable even if u ignore the feasibility of pumping water thousands of miles and up mountains. Nobody is gonna agree to give the water that's gonna run out to another group. If the lakes go down few hundred feet the states that border will feel the effect due to ships not being able to travel 300 billion in trade will be lost.
What's gonna happen to the west coast is people will ignore the problem until they can't and then start fleeing majority of the California companies all have multiple hq across the country to them moving is simply abandoning their skyscrapers and relocating the average person is fukked.
As it stands the temperature is increasing causing faster evaporation any fix is band-aid not permanent.
You need to work on your fukking punctuation, holy shyt...

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
White people have the supernatural ability to cause utter chaos and calamity vastly disproportionate to their numbers.

You could have a million people doing everything right and all it takes is 1 or 2 cacs to tear it all apart.
With this current senate that we have, he wouldn't have been able to get shyt done either. Kats have to realize that the president isn't a damn dictator / the head of an authoritarian government. He can't just snap his fingers or talk real nice to nikkas and get shyt done.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
The information we have now wasn't around in the 1800s though. The industries thats destroying the planet now wasn't around in the 1800s. We're where here because of pollution. Pollution that wasn't around in the 1800s.

Industries destroying the planet was around in the 1800s. Have you heard of the Industrial Revolution? The Oil Boom? Not sure if you're trolling

Doomsday end of time hysteria was also in the 1910s, 1930s, 1970s, early 2000s, and most recently 2012

Hysteria is big money for the News media
And we all eat this up unfortunately

Last edited: