It’s been 50 years since Britain left. Why are so many African judges still wearing wigs?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Religious and trade purposes.

Official language =\= the national language. It doesn't imply subservience.

Plus it was decided by a dictator. :yeshrug:

There's also an Arab minority in the country.
i don't understand how having French as an official language implies subservience but english, Arabic, and Portuguese are ok

Karb

Veteran
Daps
i don't understand how having French as an official language implies subservience but english, Arabic, and Portuguese are ok

It's the national language. Most of them don't even speak their naive tongues. Never said that exchanging your own language for Portuguese or Arabic was good :dahell:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Ethiopia has no official language and was created by Africans not by the Berlin conference
I don't get why folks get about French but have no problem with English and Portuguese and Arabic being official languages for African countries :yeshrug:

Exactly. Or Arabic for that matter, since it's also an imported language (from way before, but still imported. Ask Berbers how they feel about it).

The way I see it is that a lot of "brehs" have taken on the anglo-saxon french-bashing, and ironically under the semblance of being "pro-Africa" are really just rehashing the anti-french stance of Anglos, without even realizing it. And using it as an excuse to look down on francophone Africans on some anglo-saxon :mjpls:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Exactly. Or Arabic for that matter, since it's also an imported language (from way before, but still imported. Ask Berbers how they feel about it).

The way I see it is that a lot of "brehs" have taken on the anglo-saxon french-bashing, and ironically under the semblance of being "pro-Africa" are really just rehashing the anti-french stance of Anglos, without even realizing it. And using it as an excuse to look down on francophone Africans on some anglo-saxon :mjpls:
Not to mention some of these countries do have African official languages in addition to French

PinotNoir

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I'm sorry, but they look silly. It's like they're saying "we aren't knowledgeable until we put on our blond wigs because it also shows power". Which is sad because they're still mentally stuck in colonialism and Euro worship.

Last edited:

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Ethiopia has no official language and was created by Africans not by the Berlin conference
I don't get why folks get about French but have no problem with English and Portuguese and Arabic being official languages for African countries :yeshrug:

Amharic is the national language of Ethiopia, but it's controlled by Tigrayans.