It’s actually disgusting how underrated EPMD is!!!

Daps
Top 2 group for me, along with and right after Tribe.

First 4 albums are untouchable classics.

People always say this about their first 4 albums, and I never understood why "Back In Business" doesn't get nearly the love it should as compared with their previous work. It was one of the best albums of '97 IMO and a pretty dope comeback effort.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
People always say this about their first 4 albums, and I never understood why "Back In Business" doesn't get nearly the love it should as compared with their previous work. It was one of the best albums of '97 IMO and a pretty dope comeback effort.

I definitely liked Back In Business. I just didn't LOVE it, like I do the first 4.

They seemed different. And now when I hear Erick speak on it, I can see why. He said when they recorded it, they were barely speaking, but that they wanted to do it for their fans because of all the tragedy that was happening at the time with Pac and BIG. They just seemed less connected on that album to me, back then. I liked it, but it didn't have that "thing" I loved on the first 4.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
I never fukked with them outside of the singles, but until this thread I didn't realize how many of their singles that I liked.

OT but since they flipped the same beat. Which of these songs you guys think is better?

Or

Last edited:

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
because majority of casuals who voice their opinion online grew up on the music from mid to late 90s, 00s and so on and aren't willing to read history.

Everything that came out in the 80s or early 90s gets underrated by them minus a few mega stars.

Ask those fakkits from meccapolis, who were spamming this site with their Top NY lists, why they only gave one EPMD album a spot in top 100.

EPMD represent the culture and hold big value in history. Erick being one of the very first to bring the funky sampling that other producers got inspired from him. Both him and PMD also helped to kickstart other talented rapper careers. Everything you want from the artists: brought their own sound and helped other artists shine.

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
I will admit that i have seen and heard their name in passing but never checked for them in my life. :yeshrug:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I definitely liked Back In Business. I just didn't LOVE it, like I do the first 4.

They seemed different. And now when I hear Erick speak on it, I can see why. He said when they recorded it, they were barely speaking, but that they wanted to do it for their fans because of all the tragedy that was happening at the time with Pac and BIG. They just seemed less connected on that album to me, back then. I liked it, but it didn't have that "thing" I loved on the first 4.

One of albums that never migrated from the ban list.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I will admit that i have seen and heard their name in passing but never checked for them in my life. :yeshrug:

Whut.

You missing some of the best work in Rap history.

Especially,...

The second album.

Arguably the best beats found on long player in rap history are on the second album.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I never fukked with them outside of the singles, but until this the I didn't realize how many of their singles that I liked.

OT but since they flipped the same best. Which of these songs you guys think of better?

Or

We did not have this choice of division
or divisive critique back then.
For a culture based artist.

Both records were huge draws culturally
One for ll being on a feature. Plus the alleged back story to the song.

Then cypress just crushed the buildings completely.

To be the first culturally endorsed native west coast group. [Cube was the solo bomb squad darling culturally then, before he faked jax completely twice in this era to kill his draw culturally. As well as ruin the source].
that was making blatant gangsta rap. At a time when gangsta rap was becoming taboo culturally.

Art Barr

Sire366

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Phila
I’m not here long go look it up.

The 80’s on the whole is underrated.

Do your fukking homework. :pacspit:

EPMD are dope and legends. I agree OP, they are under appreciated in hip hop history

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

Capitol

Did this work
Daps
Whut.

You missing some of the best work in Rap history.

Especially,...

The second album.

Arguably the best beats found on long player in rap history are on the second album.

Art Barr
I admit that I don't do hip hop or really any music homework on my own. I usually get recommendations and wear out those records before I venture out again. I got another quest to embark on :lupe:

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I admit that I don't do hip hop or really any music homework on my own. I usually get recommendations and wear out those records before I venture out again. I got another quest to embark on :lupe:

First two albums are no brainers.
Where you get arguably.
The best 808 rap group record ever on The first album on :

Get off the bandwagon

With incredible rhymes and production.

Then the second album is just crazy. Not to many rap albums can fukk with it pound for pound.
Plus k solo singlehandidly creates the bar and criteria for how you would get a record deal. As a first time guest appearance. That would soon become the posse cut. Them evenaturally segueway Into the feature.

The first defjam album you need the besides:

Brothers from brentwood long island a vinyl bside
As well as it's going down featured on the juice soundtrack.
Then on the third album.
It is kind of a change in direction sonically.
As the souND gets bigger.
Then on the fourth album .
it includes arguably the hypest track of the era. In scratch bring it back.

The first four albums are must listens.

Art Barr

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
I have bought every EPMD album, including the 2008 We Mean Business. They've never made a bad album. All of them aren't classics and some aren't' as good as others but they all are good. I may be in the minority, but my favorite is Business Never Personal.