It’s A Splash Bros Reunion! Are You Kuminga To The Poole Party? Warriors 2022 Season Thread

Derek Lee

#thunderup
Supporter
Daps
Just thought I’d post this here

8-C680-AE6-8-EF2-4-FDB-8-CD0-8-A6-E1-B0884-DA.jpg

Mal was the WOAT sports takes :mjlol:

Daps
Steve Kerr unplugged on the Warriors resurgence: 'I just want to f---ing win'

How Steve Kerr Feels About this Season Compared to Previous Seasons:

It’s just fun every day. I look forward to getting to the gym every day, because we’ve got an incredible group of guys and they’re committed and they’re playing well together and sacrificing. I just look forward to it every day. I don’t stop and think about (his) perspective about where this stands in terms of my overall eight years here. Every season presents its own circumstances, and you respond accordingly...I’m happy for our team and for our fans and for the organization. I’m happy for myself. It’s, it’s…It’s a great existence. When you’re winning in the NBA, it’s a wonderful existence. And when you’re losing, it’s — it’s misery.

(Was Their) Importance to Having the 2 Non-playoff Seasons (2019-20 & 2020-21) Post-Dynasty/KD Warriors:

I think the value is that there’s a rebirth. There’s a kind of an energy that exists now that, frankly, we didn’t have the last year we went to the Finals because it was so exhausting — that whole five-year run...So I think in some ways, these last two years were good for us to recharge the batteries. And I think it started last year at the end of the season. I thought that was a crucial time for us, winning 15 of our last 20 (games)...So we kind of found our identity again, and our confidence. And I think that fed right into this year. So it’s no coincidence that we’re playing well again.

Does Kerr Care About His Legacy as a Coach:

I never lose any sleep over that. I count my blessings that I’ve been able to coach the players that I’ve coached and be in the organization that I’m in because I know how lucky I am. But part of what allowed me to stay in the NBA for 15 years as a player is that losing humiliates me, you know? My competitive desire drives me. But like a lot of players at this level, the fear of losing is an even bigger motivator. So even though I don’t stop and think about legacy or anything like that, I just want to fukking win, you know? It burns in me. I want to win so badly. It’s kind of how I’ve been since I was five years old, and Draymond’s the same way and Steph’s the same way and Klay’s the same way...The main thing is that we’re competing again and we’re enjoying the competition.

Maintaining Culture During the Past 2 Seasons:

I think the challenge as a coach was to make sure we maintained our culture every day. When you have a culture of joy and compassion and the things that we value here — it’s tougher to find joy when you’re losing, but you have to find it. So I looked at the last couple years as a great challenge coaching-wise. And I think it was a success in terms of maintaining the culture and the foundation that we’ve built here. Obviously most of that credit goes to Steph and Draymond and the players, (but) it’s my job as a coach to make sure we don’t get away from ourselves just because we’re losing...We have that continuity and that foundation that’s a decade old now with players that we have, and that’s very satisfying to me.

Difficulty of Maintaining the 'Culture of Joy' in the 5th Year of the Dynasty/Last Year of KD Warriors:

I think the fifth year was so difficult — physically, spiritually, emotionally — but mainly because it’s just hard. And you can ask anybody from the Lakers and the Celtics in the 80s. You know, (ask) Phil Jackson or Gregg Popovich...I think we were exhausted organizationally. I think the players were exhausted. We lost two guys to devastating injuries in the (2019) Finals (Thompson and Durant). You almost can’t write a script like that, you know? And it was so brutal.

Kerr on If The Warriors Got Back Their "Title-or-bust- Mentality This Season:

Well, that’s what you guys have to decide.

It’s great to be back in the mix. What I’ve learned, though, in five trips to the Finals, is that so much is just up in the air — circumstances you can’t control. I know it’s coach speak, but if we just come in every day and get our work in and enjoy the process, we’re going to win a ton of games...We think we can win a championship, but I’ve watched in the Finals...Just having watched this and been a part of it for so long, who the hell knows what’s going to happen? So you might as well enjoy it while it’s going. (When he says "I've watched in the Finals", he then lists examples of injuries occurred in previous Finals runs that he have personally witnessed which had a huge impact on the results ex Klay & KD in 2019, Love & Kyrie in 2015, Magic & Bryon Scott in 1989)

ryderldb

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
pod with Iggy was a very good listen

Was watching this last night. It’s cool that they actually talk about the game and what they thought of it. I liked that comment iggy had about being back on top and that means you’re gonna get every teams best shot and that actually means you’re the most prepared come playoff time. Never really thought of it that way.