It’s A Splash Bros Reunion! Are You Kuminga To The Poole Party? Warriors 2022 Season Thread

CSquare43

Superstar
Daps
From reddit this morning:

Some first impressions:

• Jessup came out the gate cold with his shot, but started to find his rhythm in the second half. I like some of the passing reads he made throughout the game. He showed some flashes of secondary playmaking ability in the NBL and glad to see more of it on display. Defensively around what I expected. Definitely concerns over his lateral quickness and awareness at the NBA level, but he has a good feel for rotations/helping.
  • McLaughlin I’d like to see be a little more poised. Too many errant passes from him and miscues, but the shotmaking and playmaking that stood out when I was watching film on him are evident. Really intriguing offensive player. Liked his defensive intensity as well, but much work on that end overall.
  • Schakel was knocking them down as I kind of expected given his #s/reputation.
  • Mawugbe/Taylor/Pemberton all doing what they have with SCW. Fundamentally sound, play their role effectively. Would like to see all of them a little more involved offensively with some PNR lobs to Mawugbe and some C&S plays for Taylor and Pemberton.
  • Dowtin/Whitney/Barefield I felt were a little too aggressive with their offensive at times, more so Whitney was the main culprit of this. I’ll give Dowtin a bit of a pass since he was actually effective with it. But I’d like to see all three of them pass up a couple more iso possessions in favor of moving the ball to create some better looks.
  • Brown didn’t play much, but I liked some of the reads he made. Don’t remember seeing much playmaking from his during his SCW tenure.
  • Lindsey/Mayo I didn’t see enough of to really get a read on them. Mayo seems like he can score around the rim, but doesn’t offer much defensively. Lindsey seems like a 3&D wing with some secondary playmaking ability.
Also I emphasize this often, but obviously, take some takeaways from this game, but I would caution against forming any sort of firm opinions off of 1 game or even off of the whole Summer League. Not nearly enough time to really reach any sort of final verdict on these guys. Obviously, as fans we will always lean towards being prisoners of the moment and come away with hot takes, but just try to catch yourself.

For those wondering and didn’t watch the game:

Jessup:

Struggled. Missed a lot of open jump shots. Was able to show that he could create his own shot at times, but his lack of athleticism prevented him from getting any separation. He picks up his dribble too often which led to a lot of turnovers.

Defensively, he got beat off the dribble often and lost his man off-ball at times. But you can tell he has decent defensive awareness, moving his feet well and boxing out. The effort is there.

Mitchell:

Looked great. Defensively was a hound and bothered our players. The biggest thing was he was locking up without fouling. He showed that he could shoot the 3 ball, but his free throws need work.

He drove to the basket at ease and was able to create a lot of opportunities. He needs to work on dishing out of the paint without the padded getting deflected. He did struggle to shoot over defenders when driving and got his shot blocked, but that explosiveness was able to create separation when pulling up midrange or hitting the floater.

Last edited:

CSquare43

Superstar
Daps
Re Steph:

Thompson: Stephen Curry talks $215 million extension, Warriors moves and 'the vibe'

Curry signing the four-year extension is essentially him signing off on the Warriors’ moves thus far and the direction of the franchise. He said he’s been involved in the process more than ever this year, which underscores the urgency he feels. He was checking in from Africa with Warriors general manager Bob Myers, who kept his stars abreast and invited their input.

Curry, along with Green and Klay Thompson, the three resident champions, emphasized their desires for difference-makers to help them win now. They would’ve been in favor of using at least some of the draft capital in securing a player who could help them immediately. The front office entered the offseason determined to add some veterans after Curry, Green and Thompson had to serve a dual role as chief producers and mentors.

But none of the big splashes ever materialized. Bradley Beal remained in Washington. Damian Lillard never asked out of Portland. Philadelphia wanted way too much for Ben Simmons. None of those ever proved to be real options.

—-

The Warriors opted to draft two rookies — forwards Jonathan Kuminga and Moses Moody — instead of cashing them in for a lower-tier star. And the Warriors never offered up James Wiseman as trade bait, a player sure to solicit significant returns. So Golden State picked up two more players under 20, adding to a roster already featuring 20-year-old Wiseman and 22-year-old Jordan Poole as a core piece.

“The draft picks — love ’em,” Curry said. “There’s a lot of potential in terms of trying to implement them early and continue to develop them.

“Yeah, the effort is there. Just being around the conversations that some people are privy to and most people are not — we want to win. And if anybody was not with that, then we’ve got issues. And I don’t think I’d have signed up for five years of that. So that’s the vibe.”

@Waterproof :smugfavre:

—-

Curry said he vouches for the moves they’ve made thus far, having been involved in the process and knowing what went down. He said he recognizes the difficulty of the task for the Warriors’ front office.

“I would be disappointed if there was ever a vibe that you’re complacent or that you’re not proactive and looking to always get better,” Curry said. “So if you’re telling me we’re trying to go after Batum, we’re trying to go after Patty, and things didn’t line up like that, then that’s just how the league works. But if there’s ever a situation where you don’t feel that commitment from upstairs, then we have issues. I haven’t felt that this summer.”

Curry broke down the coming season into three parts: “the beginning of the year until Klay gets back,” followed by the period of reintegrating Klay, then he hopes a deep playoff run. While acknowledging that’s a difficult road, he said the Warriors have “a really solid team” with a chance to take another step in the right direction.

“And who knows how it’s gonna look. But, in three months from now, trade deadline, buy-out season, if you’re not still being aggressive and being honest with who we are as a team, that’s where you have issues. So we always want to keep applying pressure there, in terms of how we have a look at winning.”

:blessed:

Greatest Warriors ever. Word to Moped Monta.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Bro stop it you sounding corny now
nikka shut the fukk up! Did you watch the game like we did because if you did you seen what he did, step back 3, Defensive Pressure, attacked the rim, spacing, passes. The boy was trending on Twitter, he's going to be this year steal of the draft.

I can tell you don't Warrior's ball, talking about we don't need a back up PG