• Total voters

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
Anyone else agree?

With all due respect to the groundbreaking amazing illmatic. Nas 'pen was so much sharper on It was Written. Maybe I'm biased because I remember that whole project in realtime and I went back to illmatic years later.

hqdefault.jpg

0f2252f3fce7f56605a3ec972f517ca5.698x698x1.jpg

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
I don’t think anyone that recognized and appreciated Illmatic as the masterpiece that it was at the time (not 10 years later) thought It Was Written was better.

You're probably right. I was 11 when Illmatic dropped. So I missed it. I remember living through IWW...then doubling back in college. So im biased.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Outside of pac, I've never heard someone with such an ethereal flow as nas had on illmatic. Paired with the immaculate, timeless, jazz inspired production, it's a nah from me. I'd maybe say it's a lyrical case to be made for iww, but that's where it stops. There's a reason illmatic is considered one, if not the GOAT hip hop records to ever be made.

Last edited:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
You're probably right. I was 11 when Illmatic dropped. So I missed it. I remember living through IWW...then doubling back in college. So im biased.

I thought IWW was the greatest thing since sliced bread when it dropped and I too was older enough to appreciate it more than illmatic when it was released. But once I ran illmatic back a few years later, it was a very easy choice for me to pick it over IWW. Illmatic still blows my mkind every time I listen to it :mindblown:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I was 12 almost 13 when Illmatic dropped. I knew a little about Nas but not much. But I did have a subscription to the Source so when they gave it 5 mics I had to check it out off gp. I was blown away as soon as NY State of Mind came on all the way through the whole album. I was one of those people who initially was disappointed with IWW becuz I was expecting another Illmatic production was. I liked it but it was years before I considered it a classic album