It saddens me that Microsoft is price gouging my Xbrehs for PCIe 3 storage external memory cards

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

No you can't.

This means that theoretically a modified CFe adapter for NVMe drives could be used for Xbox Series. And this is exactly what was tested by a modder from Bilibili, but with one minor caveat. Modder did not use a 3rd party NVMe drive but an M.2 storage taken from the Xbox Series console. This means that it was already compatible and properly formatted to Xbox standard, thus any 3rd party expandable storage may not work

The modder used a CH SN530 NVMe drive, which is a custom implementation with PCIe Gen4 support. The more widely available PC SN 530 is PCIe Gen3. The modder was able saturate the full 1.7 GB/s speed offered by the adaptor. He also notes that a simple attachment of CFe drive (sold separately as expandable storage for cameras) does not work and the console reports an incompatible device.

1. A PCIe 4.0 X2 NVMe hard drive. I chose the CH SN530 m.2 2230 which was disassembled by XSX (note that it is not PC SN530, PC SN530 is PCIe3.0 ). This hard drive is an original hard drive built into XSX. If XSS needs to be disassembled and expanded, this hard drive can be said to be a must.
2. CFe to NVMe adapters are not sold online by many people, mainly in photography accessories stores. Of course, there is also a DIY CFe card solution, but you need to polish the m.2 solid state. If you need it, please search in the orange software. Polishing solid-state hard drives will have certain risks, so be cautious if you have poor hands-on ability!
Someone tried to plug the camera card (CFexpress Type B, PCIe 3.0 x2, 2000MB/s) into the Xbox, and an incompatible prompt popped up.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Y’all in here playing dumb when @OnlyFrans own instructions included the fact that this isn’t a common size of screwdriver, and where to get one.

Now y’all act confused when i say it.

Sony stans :mjlol:
Again, this is a common electronics screwdriver thats widely available and significantly cheaper than a proprietary SSD that Microsoft/Seagate is charging 400 bucks for

You’re being dishonest again, and its very sad too see. Almost as sad as these xbox expansion storage prices.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Every man should have an entire set of screw drivers in their home
Meach is the homemaker/housewife at his place. No screwdrivers…but plenty of dusters, makeup kits, and wine coolors:dame:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
No you can't.

This means that theoretically a modified CFe adapter for NVMe drives could be used for Xbox Series. And this is exactly what was tested by a modder from Bilibili, but with one minor caveat. Modder did not use a 3rd party NVMe drive but an M.2 storage taken from the Xbox Series console. This means that it was already compatible and properly formatted to Xbox standard, thus any 3rd party expandable storage may not work

The modder used a CH SN530 NVMe drive, which is a custom implementation with PCIe Gen4 support. The more widely available PC SN 530 is PCIe Gen3. The modder was able saturate the full 1.7 GB/s speed offered by the adaptor. He also notes that a simple attachment of CFe drive (sold separately as expandable storage for cameras) does not work and the console reports an incompatible device.
No. that’s a different thing from what i posted.
Again, this is a common electronics screwdriver thats widely available and significantly cheaper than a proprietary SSD that Microsoft/Seagate is charging 400 bucks for

You’re being dishonest again, and its very sad too see. Almost as sad as these xbox expansion storage prices.
How am i being dishonest.

You literally advised on how where to get one cause you know they aren’t common.

I say they aren’t common and y’all get your pantys in a bunch.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Meach is the homemaker/housewife at his place. No screwdrivers…but plenty of dusters, makeup kits, and wine coolors:dame:
No goofy nikka i actually fix electronics by trade. This is how i know how many people don’t have this type of stuff and are uncomfortable dealing with it. Which is why they call me.

Pull Up the Roots

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
You quoted the image @Gizmo_Duck posted saying it supports your claim when it does not. Further, to get that working, he had to use more than a simple screwdriver, and it was all for nothing, because the off-the-shelf ssd didn't work.

The article you're quoting is sourcing tomshardware who's citing the modder.

The adaptor has a major limitation, though. While it can house any short M.2-2230 drive with a PCIe interface, the consoles are only compatible with select SSDs featuring a specific firmware and internal format. For example, Western Digital's WD Blue CH SN530 is naturally compatible with Microsoft's consoles, but the WD Blue PC SN530 is not. This could be why you can't use typical CFexpress 1.0 Type-B cards to expand the storage in Microsoft's consoles. Unfortunately, it's currently unclear how many SSDs are on the market that fit these specific requirements.

Microsoft's latest Xbox Series X|S game consoles use proprietary storage expansion cards that come in CFexpress 1.0 Type-B form-factor and use two PCIe Gen4 lanes (as opposed to two PCIe Gen3 lanes mandated by the CFexpress 1.0 Type-B specification). Since these cards are currently only made by Seagate, they are quite expensive — they currently cost around $220 for a 1TB version. However, as proven by an enthusiast, it is possible to build an expansion drive for the latest Xboxes using a CFexpress to M.2-2230 adapter (which was designed to build higher-capacity storage devices for cameras) and a compatible SSD.

What the article fails to mention is that off-the-shelf reports incompatible and that his test used a disassembled xsx card. There are no alternate solutions for the Xbox right now. You have to stick with the proprietary ones for expansion.

It's okay to admit MS screwed up going with a proprietary storage solution. And that it's more expensive than the competition. They still did good in other areas.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You quoted the image @Gizmo_Duck posted saying it supports your claim when it does not. Further, to get that working, he had to use more than a simple screwdriver, and it was all for nothing, because the off-the-shelf ssd didn't work.

The article you're quoting is sourcing tomshardware who's citing the modder.

What the article fails to mention is that off-the-shelf reports incompatible and that his test used a disassembled xsx card. There are no alternate solutions for the Xbox right now. You have to stick with the proprietary ones for expansion.

It's okay to admit MS screwed up going with a proprietary storage solution. And that it's more expensive than the competition. They still did good in other areas.
No. you are wrong. Read the link i posted it’s a whole different thing.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I read the full article they're sourcing. You obviously didn't.
You obviously aren’t comprehending what you are reading.

It’s two separate things. The adapter that the modder used is different than the Chinese product that was made specifically for xbox. You don’t need to remove a drive from another xbox to use it. They even give an example of a card that works with it.

It’s not perfect, but as time goes on more products will arise and more comparability will be figured out.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

How am i being dishonest.

You literally advised on how where to get one cause you know they aren’t common.

I say they aren’t common and y’all get your pantys in a bunch.

I advised the common stores they are sold because you actin like they some obscure specialty item.

Pull Up the Roots

Daps
Reppin
Detroit
You obviously aren’t comprehending what you are reading.

It’s two separate things. The adapter that the modder used is different than the Chinese product that was made specifically for xbox. You don’t need to remove a drive from another xbox to use it. They even give an example of a card that works with it.

It’s not perfect, but as time goes on more products will arise and more comparability will be figured out.
OMG. The image you quoted from gizmo to claim that off-the-shelf parts work is from the modder. And it's using a disassembled xs card.

The article you're quoting about the adapter says:

The adaptor has a major limitation, though. While it can house any short M.2-2230 drive with a PCIe interface, the consoles are only compatible with select SSDs featuring a specific firmware and internal format. For example, Western Digital's WD Blue CH SN530 is naturally compatible with Microsoft's consoles, but the WD Blue PC SN530 is not. This could be why you can't use typical CFexpress 1.0 Type-B cards to expand the storage in Microsoft's consoles. Unfortunately, it's currently unclear how many SSDs are on the market that fit these specific requirements.

then

Microsoft's latest Xbox Series X|S game consoles use proprietary storage expansion cards that come in CFexpress 1.0 Type-B form-factor and use two PCIe Gen4 lanes (as opposed to two PCIe Gen3 lanes mandated by the CFexpress 1.0 Type-B specification). Since these cards are currently only made by Seagate, they are quite expensive — they currently cost around $220 for a 1TB version.