It looks like a digital only future is on the horizon

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So? If you dust off that PS3, your digital games will still be there breh.

That only makes physical even more of a weird option. If the console itself got an expiration date, why bother keeping a bunch of cases that can only add up to more hardware failure potential?
As companies like Nintendo have shown these companies have no issue closing down digital storefronts permanently blocking access to games if the console is digital only. Seems problematic for people that want to be able to access games beyond what they purchased in the life of the console. For some of these old systems I can still go buy a physical copy but if it's digital only and the storefront closes that's it.

I don't think the physical purchase option should disappear.

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
As companies like Nintendo have shown these companies have no issue closing down digital storefronts permanently blocking access to games if the console is digital only. Seems problematic for people that want to be able to access games beyond what they purchased in the life of the console. For some of these old systems I can still go buy a physical copy but if it's digital only and the storefront closes that's it.

I don't think the physical purchase option should disappear.
This is an honest question, do you lose access to the games you've already purchased when this happens? I don't remember.

Because I vaguely remember when the Wii U storefront was about to close and they not only gave ample warning but also that the Metroid community was urging people to get Fusion asap while they could.

If you can redownload the stuff you already paid for... :manny:

It's not like you can walk into a Gamestop and walk out with a fresh copy of the PS1 Spiderman game.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is an honest question, do you lose access to the games you've already purchased when this happens? I don't remember.

Because I vaguely remember when the Wii U storefront was about to close and they not only gave ample warning but also that the Metroid community was urging people to get Fusion asap while they could.

If you can redownload the stuff you already paid for... :manny:

It's not like you can walk into a Gamestop and walk out with a fresh copy of the PS1 Spiderman game.
You don't lose access to what you have (yet) but say you found about a new game you missed and want to play it. eBay could provide a copy if physical exist. If no physical and the digital store is closed you assed out unless you can emulate or pirate the game.

To some people that won't matter but it's a foul deal to customers overall.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
They legit trying to force this bullshyt on us what if the game is too buggy to be played and we have to pay $70 for a digital only game we can't trade in???:what: shyt is shady also doesn't answer what happens if the servers go down we can't play it again???

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
You don't lose access to what you have
:manny:

eBay could provide a copy if physical exist. If no physical and the digital store is closed you assed out unless you can emulate or pirate the game.
We all know ain't no goddamn soul hopping on eBay to get dusty old games they heard about years later.

The reality is that emulation and piracy are the only real answers to any kind of preservation unless a game is getting remakes or remasters.

It is what it is breh. If anything, PC ports are the best thing to help official preservation because as you said...
PC doesn't divide it's consumer products into hardware generations that have a shelf life though. on my PC today I can play a Steam title I bought 2 decades ago with no real issue.
And the main reason for that is that PC minimizes the hardware impact.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Was a good run

If you have more than one console in your house then physical barring a great price doesn't make sense

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:manny:

We all know ain't no goddamn soul hopping on eBay to get dusty old games they heard about years later.

The reality is that emulation and piracy are the only real answers to any kind of preservation unless a game is getting remakes or remasters.

It is what it is breh. If anything, PC ports are the best thing to help official preservation because as you said...

And the main reason for that is that PC minimizes the hardware impact.
What you're saying about eBay isn't true because if it was games wouldn't sell on there.

Still at the heart of your argument is consumers should be accepting of something corporations are doing to benefit themselves to the consumer's detriment. Taking options from consumers isn't a good thing. Those companies for the most part aren't going to pass those savings on to consumers or do you honestly believe when physical games go away the price of games overall will go down?

I don't buy a huge amount of physical games anymore but towards the end of the year when games go on sale I get whatever is cheaper and sometimes that's a physical game at a brick and mortar store. My favorite games I buy both a physical copy I keep sealed and a digital copy.

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
Still at the heart of your argument is consumers should be accepting of something corporations are doing to benefit themselves to the consumer's detriment. Taking options from consumers isn't a good thing. Those companies for the most part aren't going to pass those savings on to consumers or do you honestly believe when physical games go away the price of games overall will go down?
Nah, the heart of my argument is that most games ain't shyt without any kind of patches/updates/DLC nowadays, so the argument for physical gets thinner by the day because the disc alone doesn't provide the full experience anymore.

Knowing that, I guess I just can't make it a big deal out of things gravitating towards digital-only. :manny: