It looks like a digital only future is on the horizon

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
I have a PS5 with a disc drive that I've never used. I literally don't own a physical game and have been completely digital for roughly seven years or so. Last physical I owned was Fallout 4 iirc.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Oh now it's all coming together for people.

Hardware is only a means to get consumers as an install base and create brands.

As far back as the ps2, systems have made little to no profit for companies.

Things have been trending digital and service base for years. The success of Xbox live then psn should have clued y'all in on that, follow that by music and then movies and TVs shows....yeah it's pretty clear.

I mean when was the last time you bought physical media like a DVD that didn't involve gaming? If not for gaming I think DVD and blue ray would be even more obscure.

Microsoft not worried about having the #1 selling console. If people without a system are going to purchase gamepass and play on the PC (which is 9 times out of 10, a windows machine anyway) that's a huge W

And gaming is at a spot where there are just TOO many games out for people to realistically all play or buy or even know about. Gamepass allows alot of smaller developed games to get play. For instance I wasn't gonna buy a plague tale probably ever, but it's on GP right now and I'm looking forward to playing it.

Truthfully I look forward to the so y version of gamepass that they pretty much have to drop or push at some point in the future. I doubt they'll do day and date 1st party games... But some of the other smaller games that are ps/pc exclusives that I'll never buy? Yeah I'll sub to that.
:ehh:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I don't have an issue with digital games. But you should be able to own them and resell the rights to them just like your physical copies. But I'm not holding my breath for that.
Funny enough this is what microsoft was trying to do with the X1.

I remember they were talking about being able to trade digital games with friends but nobody cared once they announced always online with no physical.

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
The only physical games Ive purchased the past few games are games for my son for Xmas. Everything else is digital

Daps
My PSN has a decent amount of digital titles I've been building since 2008. I'll be getting a PS5 with the disc drive though because I want a 4k movie collection at home.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
All digital is super convenient, but I don’t know if it’s a good thing. I mean pc has been all digital forever, and I’m fine with that, but they can’t delete physical editions. Some storefronts actually do delete games and you can’t play them anymore (it’s happened with Oculus for several games of mine). I don’t know if it has happened on Steam, but that doesn’t mean it won’t. I worry about that. I guess there’s always piracy though.

Still it’s cool to have some physicals. They take up space, but you have something other than a file on a SSD.

Also, Nintendo really needs to put a lot more storage on their devices.