It goes 1. Superman, 2.Spiderman and 3. Batman

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:ohhh:is that a fair comparison though? he had a movie last year and batman didn't.

Lol it doesn't matter..Batman doesn't need a movie out to be popular breh...i see batman t shirts anytime i go to a mall either in a store or on someone. now the one part where you can ask if its fair is the amount of merchandising Marvel does vs DC, then we can say it's not an apples to apples comparison because Marvel has more channels to license their characters and create merchandise, but batman has also been around since the 30s..his popularity in our culture is engrained and there are always batman t shirts, toys, dolls, steering wheel covers, whatever you want with that logon on it, you can buy it, movie or no movie. Now amongst comic heads or movie fans, that results may vary but if we're going off of stone cold facts and figures, it's spider man by more than a country mile around the world.

• Dap
Reactions: TNC

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
Lol it doesn't matter..Batman doesn't need a movie out to be popular breh...i see batman t shirts anytime i go to a mall either in a store or on someone. now the one part where you can ask if its fair is the amount of merchandising Marvel does vs DC, then we can say it's not an apples to apples comparison because Marvel has more channels to license their characters and create merchandise, but batman has also been around since the 30s..his popularity in our culture is engrained and there are always batman t shirts, toys, dolls, steering wheel covers, whatever you want with that logon on it, you can buy it, movie or no movie. Now amongst comic heads or movie fans, that results may vary but if we're going off of stone cold facts and figures, it's spider man by more than a country mile around the world.
what I'm saying is if you subtract the box office numbers batman is in front.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
what I'm saying is if you subtract the box office numbers batman is in front.

No merchandising accounts for more than box office..it's toys, clothes, lunch boxes, comics, etc. So even without that, spider-man is still in front breh. Box office numbers are box office numbers but this takes into account everything

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
No merchandising accounts for more than box office..it's toys, clothes, lunch boxes, comics, etc. So even without that, spider-man is still in front breh. Box office numbers are box office numbers but this takes into account everything
the chart has them at 1.4 billion. amazing spiderman 2 made 700 million. if you take that away the gap is not that big. the last two batman movies made over a billi each. if they did this chart one of those years batman shyt would be looking like spiderman and vice versa. all I'm saying.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
the chart has them at 1.4 billion. amazing spiderman 2 made 700 million. if you take that away the gap is not that big. the last two batman movies made over a billi each. if they did this chart one of those years batman shyt would be looking like spiderman and vice versa. all I'm saying.

That's fine but what about the markets outside of the U.S.? Even if you take the movies out of it for that year, he's still killing it internationally and a lot of that has to do with Marvel's reach vs DC's reach which is why I said that would be the one thing on the chart that I'd take issue with. If you and I are putting out competing products but I'm able to utilize more channels than you, by numbers alone I'm going to sell more than you

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
more like...

T-1. Batman
T-1. Spider-Man
3. Iron Man
4. Superman
5. Wolverine

Superman hasn't been #1 in fukking decades. And the only reason Marvel is making Iron Man their flagship character in the post-Secret Wars universe is because they don't own the movie rights to Spider-Man outright.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
I'm what dimension is batman more recognizable than supes lol?

@TNC

The United States and the World. :usure:

I'm sure you aren't implying Superman is more POPULAR than Batman, right? Because that definitely is not true, but Batman is arguably more recognizable than Superman as well and DEFINATELY more popular. In the 1960s their even was the classic quote about the three Bs that shaped our culture: Bond, Batman and The Beatles.

But Batman and Superman are very intertwined as they are two of the most iconic heroes ever and have so much of their mythos tied into each other, its hard to not know one without knowing the other, but Batman is CLEARLY #1.

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Superman without a doubt is the biggest icon amongst superhero characters by a huge margin. Almost everyone knows that Christopher Reeve played Superman, they know the emblem and the powers. When the word "superhero" is mentioned the first name that's thought of is "Superman".

The top 5 Icons are

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Spider-Man
4. Hulk
5. Wonder Woman

As for popularity right now it's

1. Batman
2. Spider-Man
3. Iron Man
4. Superman
5. Wolverine

I agree with your original order, but I'd take Hulk out and replace him with Captain America. Hulk wasn't even a Hero for much of his original run and while he is a known character, he is not a go to guy when people think of heroes. I've always felt Cap was more ironic than Wolverine as well, but over the past 20 years and the peak that Wolverine reached, his worldwide notoriety has a very strong case for being in that top 5 list. Basically for people over 30 Cap and Wonder Woman are up there, for younger than that age, Wolverine and Storm might be in that top 5 (remember Storm and Wolverine outright BEAT their "DC counterparts" Wonder Woman and Lobo in a fan voted contest).

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
more like...

T-1. Batman
T-1. Spider-Man
3. Iron Man
4. Superman
5. Wolverine

Superman hasn't been #1 in fukking decades. And the only reason Marvel is making Iron Man their flagship character in the post-Secret Wars universe is because they don't own the movie rights to Spider-Man outright.
Co sign

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
Superman without a doubt is the biggest icon amongst superhero characters by a huge margin. Almost everyone knows that Christopher Reeve played Superman, they know the emblem and the powers. When the word "superhero" is mentioned the first name that's thought of is "Superman".

@TNC

TNC

Hardbody
Daps

This doesn't dispute anything I said.

Superman most likely is the most iconic hero, but he is not the most recognized or popular. He's up there in both, but he's never had the same grip on the public that Batman has.

• Dap
Reactions: R=G

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
This doesn't dispute anything I said.

Superman most likely is the most iconic hero, but he is not the most recognized or popular. He's up there in both, but he's never had the same grip on the public that Batman has.

I'd argue he's the most recognized or they're at least tied. He's not as popular but there's not a person who doesn't know what that S stands for when they see it

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I'd argue he's the most recognized or they're at least tied. He's not as popular but there's not a person who doesn't know what that S stands for when they see it

There is no way you get away with saying Superman is as popular as Spider Man and Batman in this day and age

• Dap
Reactions: TNC