IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I get that you can't be lazy, but at the same time its like why reinvent the wheel? Yall have gone through it, so it seems only logical to come to yall for advice on what we should + shouldn't do. I've been searching and putting stuff together, trying to create a plan of attack. But I learned more in like a 1 hour convo w/the IT dude at my job than like 4 hours of searching. So its true, I def don't doubt that you gotta get your stuff right and keep searching + soaking it in. But for just starting out, insight from people who did it is invaluable.

I feel like another thread w/FAQs might be the wave... I would even be down to look for answers already asked in this thread.

Breh...if you think reinventing the wheel is reading a thread for your own benefit, go head and start slangin dope cause this ain't for you.

Ain't nobody gonna hold your hand through this process breh. nikkas is in here telling y'all how to get to the point where you can make 300k a year and y'all got the audacity to ask "How come we don't got an FAQ :what:?"

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
How my Canadian brehs doing out here?

Got my CCNA about a year back (looking to make a jump from network admin to network engineering/support working with layer 2/3 devices), had a few interviews but no offers.

From what I've heard cats at Bell/Rogers/Telus clocking atleast 70K working at their NOC. Gotta get my foot in there.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I'm still trying to figure out how to escape the helpdesk. :sadcam:

But you're right, I've come to the conclusion that I'll have to job hop. I don't particularly dislike where I work but there's just no room to move up; nobody ever leaves and nobody trains anybody.
@acri1, have you made the transition yet? If you dont mind me asking what is your pay + experience + certs like? How is the job market in the D?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Breh...if you think reinventing the wheel is reading a thread for your own benefit, go head and start slangin dope cause this ain't for you.

Ain't nobody gonna hold your hand through this process breh. nikkas is in here telling y'all how to get to the point where you can make 300k a year and y'all got the audacity to ask "How come we don't got an FAQ :what:?"

In his defense, I think there should be a faq for the basics. At least to start off. Revisiting and catching up on the thread is always there. But everyone likes a point A.

I believe the sohh thread had the basics on were to start ie what certs are needed to get your foot in the door and such. I'm currently peeping Professor Messer's videos while visiting this page frequently. Just my 2 cents.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
@acri1, have you made the transition yet? If you dont mind me asking what is your pay + experience + certs like? How is the job market in the D?

Job market in the D sucks, though I've never lived outside of Michigan so I don't have much to compare it to.

As far as where I'm at now...I started a new job last November. Job title is "Systems Technician". It's still a lot of helpdesk shyt (answering phones, swapping hard drives, resetting passwords, etc.), but I also get to deal with network/server stuff significantly more than at my previous job (which tended to be mostly phone support). For example occasionally I'll be assigned to do things like create/modify AD groups, create mailboxes in Exchange, make changes on the firewall, do backups, etc. It's a decent gig.

The nice thing is have RDP and VNC setup on all the computers (which all have easy hostnames such as PC382,PC383, etc), so I can usually remote in to fix things. Plus I was recently assigned a project where I have to install and configure some new network monitoring software on a server, which I'd never have gotten to do at my old job.

As far as experience, I have A+, Net+, a degree, and a couple years experience (been slacking on certs :smh: ). Pay is a little over 40k (which ain't shyt compared to coli ballers, I know, but decent considering the cost of living in MI..my rent is less than $500/mo). I haven't escaped helpdesk work yet but I'm getting there. :obama:

Last edited by a moderator:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I got a phone interview for this job

IT Help Desk [12122012] - Puryear IT, LLC - Job Board

Pay is more than what im making now and its supposed to be entry level but more complex than the tier 1 i do now which is what i want

But they asking about remote solutions and helpdesk software that i aint never heard about. I figure they wouldnt expect someone to come in knowing everything, or would they? :sadcam:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
Job market in the D sucks, though I've never lived outside of Michigan so I don't have much to compare it to.

As far as where I'm at now...I started a new job last November. Job title is "Systems Technician". It's still a lot of helpdesk shyt (answering phones, swapping hard drives, resetting passwords, etc.), but I also get to deal with network/server stuff significantly more than at my previous job (which tended to be mostly phone support). For example occasionally I'll be assigned to do things like create/modify AD groups, create mailboxes in Exchange, make changes on the firewall, do backups, etc. It's a decent gig.

The nice thing is have RDP and VNC setup on all the computers (which all have easy hostnames such as PC382,PC383, etc), so I can usually remote in to fix things. Plus I was recently assigned a project where I have to install and configure some new network monitoring software on a server, which I'd never have gotten to do at my old job.

As far as experience, I have A+, Net+, a degree, and a couple years experience (been slacking on certs :smh: ). Pay is a little over 40k (which ain't shyt compared to coli ballers, I know, but decent considering the cost of living in MI..my rent is less than $500/mo). I haven't escaped helpdesk work yet but I'm getting there. :obama:
Good shyt man. Dont worry about the salary. Its not what you make, its what you keep. Is the gig at a small or big company?

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Say bruhs. How many computers should I look to get to build a virtual lab? I am thinking 3 triple boot (Windows, OSX, Linux) desktops, one of em being a server. Is that the right strategy? Could I put something like that on my resume as experience?
Setting up a virtual lab at home is one of the best strategies for learning. Don't waste your time or worry about no triple boot anything. Nobody does that in businesses today. You want to do whatever they do in the real world which is VMware (and now HyperV somewhat). Learn VMware first and foremost. How to install it on a box, how to manage it, how to create VMs on a ESXi host and then create a Windows box, osx box, linux box, etc. in a bunch of VMs.

There are multiple ways to do the home lab setup too. depends mostly on money you have to spend and space you have at home. What it boils down to is two ways, you could get one of those big beefy servers that you see in data centers, but those are typically: A) more expensive B) sound like jet engines in your room when constantly running C) up your electricity bill D) take up a lot of space in your room. I upgraded my cheap ass $300 hp desktop last year and put 32GB ram (ram is mad cheap these days) in it and an SSD drive. I just use a Windows application called VMware workstation and I can load up any VMs with any OS or software on it. With this I can learn any cisco software I need or Microsoft or Citrix as well as VMware by default in setting it up. My setup is probably a total of $500. It may not be as powerful performance wise as a true server, but for a lab environment to learn the ins and outs of a software, it more than gets the job done just fine.

The other way to do it is to buy maybe two dell/hp/cisco servers and install VMware ESXi on them as the bare-metal hypervisor and then manage those two with your laptop and install any software you want to learn on VMs on those two boxes.

get started with these and :eat:
Welcome to vSphere-land! » The why and how of building a vSphere lab for work or home
Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab – Part 1: The Story | Boerlowie's Blog

Just going through the process of actually figuring out the purpose of the home lab, the different ways to build one, and how to build it will help you learn a ton. you probably already have questions like what is a VM? what is ESXi? what is vSphere? etc. This is how u will learn those things. Youll read shyt you dont understand and be forced to research.

Once you've done this you can put it on your resume as "I'm competent in AD, or I'm competent in X technology". In an interview, you dont have to say i did it in a home lab unless they ask, just be truthful at all times but dont be so pressed to let them know you have little experience in a production environment, you just want to show them you understand the technology and can pick things up quickly.

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
Setting up a virtual lab at home is one of the best strategies for learning. Don't waste your time or worry about no triple boot anything. Nobody does that in businesses today. You want to do whatever they do in the real world which is VMware (and now HyperV somewhat). Learn VMware first and foremost. How to install it on a box, how to manage it, how to create VMs on a ESXi host and then create a Windows box, osx box, linux box, etc. in a bunch of VMs.

There are multiple ways to do the home lab setup too. depends mostly on money you have to spend and space you have at home. What it boils down to is two ways, you could get one of those big beefy servers that you see in data centers, but those are typically: A) more expensive B) sound like jet engines in your room when constantly running C) up your electricity bill D) take up a lot of space in your room. I upgraded my cheap ass $300 hp desktop last year and put 32GB ram (ram is mad cheap these days) in it and an SSD drive. I just use a Windows application called VMware workstation and I can load up any VMs with any OS or software on it. With this I can learn any cisco software I need or Microsoft or Citrix as well as VMware by default in setting it up. My setup is probably a total of $500. It may not be as powerful performance wise as a true server, but for a lab environment to learn the ins and outs of a software, it more than gets the job done just fine.

The other way to do it is to buy maybe two dell/hp/cisco servers and install VMware ESXi on them as the bare-metal hypervisor and then manage those two with your laptop and install any software you want to learn on VMs on those two boxes.

get started with these and :eat:
Welcome to vSphere-land! » The why and how of building a vSphere lab for work or home
Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab – Part 1: The Story | Boerlowie's Blog

Just going through the process of actually figuring out the purpose of the home lab, the different ways to build one, and how to build it will help you learn a ton. you probably already have questions like what is a VM? what is ESXi? what is vSphere? etc. This is how u will learn those things. Youll read shyt you dont understand and be forced to research.

Once you've done this you can put it on your resume as "I'm competent in AD, or I'm competent in X technology". In an interview, you dont have to say i did it in a home lab unless they ask, just be truthful at all times but dont be so pressed to let them know you have little experience in a production environment, you just want to show them you understand the technology and can pick things up quickly.

TO ADD ON, IF YOU DON'T MIND GOING USED, YOU CAN PICK UP A NICE SERVER GRADE WORKSTATION WHEN THEY GO OFF LEASE FOR A REALLY GOOD PRICE. LOCAL VFW'S USUALLY HAVE INFO ON WHERE TO GRAB ONE. I SNAGGED A COUPLE FROM GM A FEW YEARS BACK. PAID 250 FOR THE WORKSTATIONS WITH 24IN TRINITRON MONITORS AND SOLD THE MONITORS FOR 225 ON CRAIGSLIST.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Just gotta new computer to use for my lab. Installing Ubuntu on that bytch right now.

I've been so damned focused when it comes to studying. If I keep this up, I might be able to knock off the CCIE by my birthday in August.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
I got a phone interview for this job

IT Help Desk [12122012] - Puryear IT, LLC - Job Board

Pay is more than what im making now and its supposed to be entry level but more complex than the tier 1 i do now which is what i want

But they asking about remote solutions and helpdesk software that i aint never heard about. I figure they wouldnt expect someone to come in knowing everything, or would they? :sadcam:

challenge yourself...go there and start learning!!

Do you ever want to move forward in life?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

You still ain't move yet breh?

EDIT: I just read the bolded. You only making 40k/mo breh :what:? How the fukk you get your coli account approved making so little?