IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Just gotta new computer to use for my lab. Installing Ubuntu on that bytch right now.

I've been so damned focused when it comes to studying. If I keep this up, I might be able to knock off the CCIE by my birthday in August.

I like Unbuntu. I have it on one of my laptops.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
For those of you getting into IT understand the money starts coming when you LIVE I.T.

If you plan on making IT an 8hr a day job and forgetting about till the next day you are in the wrong business.

Dream big and think complex scenarios, ambition drives innovation....what will happen if I do this or that?

Challenge yourself....You have to be a dynamic person to survive this industry because what you know yesterday could be irrelevant today.

That's just how the business is...never stop learning.

I just finished reading this book for like the 5 time...almost 500 pages....I know almost everything in there but I read it anyway. That's how good engineers are made
ShowCover.asp

Better listen up nikkas.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I like Unbuntu. I have it on one of my laptops.

Had to throw that shyt in the bushes. I haven't really fukked with Linux in a while and I have 0 patience right now. I put windows on it just so I can get through this CCIE.

This exam is is really fukking with me though. The amount of time I put in this bytch is :damn:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Had to throw that shyt in the bushes. I haven't really fukked with Linux in a while and I have 0 patience right now. I put windows on it just so I can get through this CCIE.

This exam is is really fukking with me though. The amount of time I put in this bytch is :damn:

Lol. Just gotta keep grinding my nikka.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
What do the made brehs think of this list?

The top five in-demand IT certifications for 2013 | TechRepublic

Also I am now starting to get some kind of plan together. I like the Cisco certs. They seem pretty straight forward. I am thinking to go for the CCNA regular and security, and maybe get the basic Apple certification. I should prob get some MSFT stuff too.

I guess my big question now is how do I get my hands on all the software? Will I need all the available versions of Windows? I need VMWare, Citrix and other VM shyt too I'm thinking. I am betting all those licenses are :merchant: Whats the strategy brehs

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps

Also I am now starting to get some kind of plan together. I like the Cisco certs. They seem pretty straight forward. I am thinking to go for the CCNA regular and security, and maybe get the basic Apple certification. I should prob get some MSFT stuff too.

I guess my big question now is how do I get my hands on all the software? Will I need all the available versions of Windows? I need VMWare, Citrix and other VM shyt too I'm thinking. I am betting all those licenses are :merchant: Whats the strategy brehs

A+ is a good cert to start off with if you're a noob to computers then you can move into mcsa then upgrade that to mcse. i've been told mcsa/mcse are the best certs to land you a job (also depending on your interview skills), just dont expect the 50k that theyre saying if you have little to no experience.

i'm studying for my ccna right now and getting a home network or simulator is crucial. look into getting a cisco packet tracer, it'll pay off big time.

that moment i realized i can subnet a network and create one :blessed:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Important comment you new cats should read

Kjasa 17th Dec
I remember - way back - when I obtained my MCSE. Studied very hard thinking that title would open opportunites for me. I knew I did not want to continue lugging PC's around and being abused all day visiting cubicals.

My new title was not accepted well by my peers at the time. I was a "Paper MSCE" - no practical experience to back the knowledge I gained.

My big breakout from helpdesk came from a job offer as an Exchange administrator - Global administrator resposible for all Exchange servers, and MS Mail in sites around the world.

On top of that, I had to take care of the networking while the boss was on vacation.

I was in way over my head. The stress was terrible. Made some horrible mistakes. I still think the studying that I did was worth while, but there is no substitution for experience when things break - and the fact that things break keep many of us employed.

My experience thus far has been that IT is a continual cycle of studying. Study hard and get the certification, but don't expect it to instantly open doors for you unless you have some practical experience.

So, there is my first post ever.
KJ Show Less -

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
A+ is a good cert to start off with if you're a noob to computers then you can move into mcsa then upgrade that to mcse. i've been told mcsa/mcse are the best certs to land you a job (also depending on your interview skills), just dont expect the 50k that theyre saying if you have little to no experience.

i'm studying for my ccna right now and getting a home network or simulator is crucial. look into getting a cisco packet tracer, it'll pay off big time.

I feel like I am a little more advanced than a pure beginner. I can def get A+ no problem. I set up a small network in my house with Win 7 server and OSX + Linux laptops and network drives. So I know my way around a little bit. I think I will get the A+ this summer. I am hoping to get CCNA and most likely MCSA by this time next year. I will be practicing on a home network to build practical skills as well, for whatever I don't get to see in a help desk job.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.

Take all those 'top X hottest certs in demand' lists with a grain of salt. Honestly jus throw that shyt in the bushes. They never tell the whole story, and they easily mislead cats who are looking to change careers or just getting started in IT. It makes those type of people develop the false relationship in their head that X cert = $Y salary which is not how it works. You can get your MCSA tomorrow but I assure you no one will be willing to pay you $115k or even 52k with 0 experience under your belt. Theres a gang of certs some cats here have that never make these lists, yet they still make the same if not higher salaries than what you see from the certs on those lists.

No one cert is "the best". You can make money in almost all of'em. Depends on what interests you, where you are, what your company or company you're applying to wants, etc. Apple cert would be a waste of time. They still have very little market share in the corporate market.

You can get VMware software from their website for free. 60-day eval period. MS; you can get a technet annual subscription for like $300 which gives u a few license keys for all their software. They've also got virtual online labs for free i believe: TechNet Virtual Labs

Caution on becoming a jack of all trades master of none tho, you dont get paid higher that way. Better to have a solid foundation in many areas and then specializing or become 'that nikka' in one area

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

nikka you all over the place. Do you even have a job yet :what:? Get your A+, work on getting a job, figure out where in IT you're comfortable, then get the certs to much your experience and the direction you're trying to take your career.

You seem like the type of nikka that do more talking about studying than actually studying :leostare:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

Give GNS3 a shot. It can't do Catalyst switches, but it can do a lot of other shyt very well.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

I wouldnt waste my time with any Apple certs. Also if you are just starting out forget about Cisco certs until you have Your A+ , entry level MS cert and some experience. nobody is going to let you touch their switches/router/firewalls without some experience.

edit: Unless you plan on becoming a programmer. prepare for the help desk. it'll pay off in the end.

Most of of our network engineers here came from our helpdesk.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
also for VM's you can virtualbox(free no expiration) and theres one from Microsoft I think is free.