IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
this happened to me once years ago when i was looking for jobs during my last semester in grad school...position called for experience with unix (which i didn't have it) but the listing said it was preferred not required so i put it down on my resume plus that 55K-60K starting salary looked good to me...during the interview i was asked about unix and i said i had it...dude then asked me a whole bunch of unix command questions out of nowhere....had me like damn!!! :damn::bryan:..needless to say i didn't get that job and i learned a valuable lesson...since then the interviews ive went on where i had to show and prove what i put down on my resume ive never failed on that aspect

Unless they were extremely basic commands( ls, rm etc), should've told him " I know how to man the commands I need" lol

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
All I can say is make a career plan breh. Ask yourself where you wanna be in 3 years, figure out how to get there, then execute. If you just let your career happen to you, you'll be the 50 year old :flabbynsick: looking dude miserable making 45k/yr.
Do you think its reasonable (not necessarily just possible- anything is possible) to expect become a network admin in 3 yrs? Not expect like have it be handed, but I mean as in the result of putting in work and building certs/skills

Obviously nothing is guaranteed but I am just trying to see what is reasonable. I have no fear of studying/putting in work outside of work, I have certifications and side gigs as is.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Two contract jobs is awesome when at least one of them only requires you to vpn. If you have the discipline to put in 40 hrs a week (or what they think 40 hrs a weeks worth of work is), go ahead.

I want to get a side gig developing like droid apps or something, but there is zero opportunities for that down here in Jax. Almost wish I was back home in NJ, at least I'd be able to collab with cats in Silicon Alley.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Two contract jobs is awesome when at least one of them only requires you to vpn. If you have the discipline to put in 40 hrs a week (or what they think 40 hrs a weeks worth of work is), go ahead.

I want to get a side gig developing like droid apps or something, but there is zero opportunities for that down here in Jax. Almost wish I was back home in NJ, at least I'd be able to collab with cats in Silicon Alley.

Dallas is the mecca for all of that. Check the place out plus I will be moving there in the next year :obama:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Do you think its reasonable (not necessarily just possible- anything is possible) to expect become a network admin in 3 yrs? Not expect like have it be handed, but I mean as in the result of putting in work and building certs/skills

Obviously nothing is guaranteed but I am just trying to see what is reasonable. I have no fear of studying/putting in work outside of work, I have certifications and side gigs as is.

I'd say that's less than likely, but possible. I personally don't know any Network Admins with less than five years experience in IT. That said, if you find a company that trains/promotes from within, put in work, and the current Network Admin leaves, I could see it happening. It's really about finding a job where the current Admin is willing to train you.

But to be honest, almost all companies looking to hire a Network Admin will want somebody with several years of experience as a network admin. I can't see a company hiring somebody with no experience as an admin just because he has a bunch of certs. :yeshrug:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I'd say that's less than likely, but possible. I personally don't know any Network Admins with less than five years experience in IT. That said, if you find a company that trains/promotes from within, put in work, and the current Network Admin leaves, I could see it happening. It's really about finding a job where the current Admin is willing to train you.

But to be honest, almost all companies looking to hire a Network Admin will want somebody with several years of experience as a network admin. I can't see a company hiring somebody with no experience as an admin just because he has a bunch of certs. :yeshrug:
Is there anything between a help desk "analyst" and a network/system admin?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

There are Jr. Network Admin/Jr. Sys Admin positions at some companies, but they're pretty scarce and you'll still probably spend half the time doing helpdesk stuff.

There are also different levels of helpdesk techs at some larger companies. Level 1 might be phone support, Level 2 might be desktop support, etc., though at small/medium size companies you might do both. One typical career path might be:

Level 1 Helpdesk (phones) -->Level 2 Helpdesk (fixing computers) -->Jr. Network Admin --> Sr. Network Admin --> Network Manager

But I mean, I wouldn't go in thinking you aren't gonna have to put in time on the helpdesk, especially in this economy. I'd say people typically work on the helpdesk for at least a few years before moving up, but like I said, it depends on the company.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I already got gems from you a year ago in the other thread. I was just talking from maximizing the most paper is to go the contract route and get 2 gigs once you know what you're doing

Glad I can help breh. Just make sure in the beginning you take the right contracts, even if it means geting a pay cut. My first contract I took I was making $30/hr. I stayed there for a bout 10 months (it was working for a big publicly traded company). They renewed the contract after 6 months then I left to work another job making $25/hr. Why did I do that? Because it was another big company, but this doing 100% security. It was a strategic move because at the time I only had 3.5 years of experience, and if I was gonna get to the top, taking a pay cut would be worth it in the future.

your my motivation Breh no lie. Lots of game and gems dropped in this thread by yourself and others. When I first started reading this shyt a few months back I didn't have a clue about anything IT related I literally started from the fukking bottom. Now a nikka fukking around with virtualization and trying to remember powershell commands. Crazy to think how reading a thread took me this way in life.

Edit: :mindblown::mindblown:you went to uc too? Damn I went there for political science from like 2000-2005 off and on until I said fukk it and started doing real estate.

Yeah I went to p*ssy ass UC, but I was unfortunate enough to be at the College of Applied Science building. Surrounded by nothing but corny ass nerds all day and no bytches smh. Going to school was the worst fukking idea ever.

Glad you learning breh. What I did in the beginning was ask myself "What type of job do I ultimately want and how much do I wanna make?" Once I figured that out, I went on monster.com, checked out the skills those jobs had and taught myself. Before I knew it, I had forgot more shyt than most nikkas knew.

It's not likely, but it's possible. I went from being an intern on the help desk to being the system administrator of their AD environment for a small gov't company when I only had a year experience in IT. An opportunity opened up and I went for it. Told the director I could handle the responsibility, then I showed and proved. Before any of that happened though, I was on the grind heavy. Studying, doing VMs, learning everything I can learn about everything. So while the other interns was just doing what's required of them, I was also talking to the DB, network, mainframe, and developers asking for advice and books to read and asking for any work they wanted me to do that they didn't want to do themselves. It got me visibility with the company and I learned how to do a little bit of developing, mainframe shyt, and DB skills in the process.

:noah: I need to build more exp to get these contract jerbs.

Like I told the other breh, get your certs up, get your resume tight, and be willing to take a pay cut if needbe. It's a marathon not a sprint. You hustle the system right, you can hit 100k in under 5 years, but you gotta make sure you follow the game plan (and live in the right market).

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Oh yea I am OK with putting time in; I am just trying to get a feel for career paths and realistic timelines. If I'm gonna have to be at a help desk making $40K for 10 years I'm just gonna stick with my current job. But 3-4 years? I can live with that.
Another path you can take instead of the in-house sys/network admin day to day operations gig is to go into consulting at a VAR. It basically ends up being a great way to fast track on gaining experience. At a lot of VARs, the amount of projects & environments you work on in the span of just over a year, equates to the type of experience some in-house system/network admins gain in maybe 4 years.

You end up seeing tons of different environments, working with many different people (engineers, IT managers, top C-level folks, etc.), and you just learn how to handle yourself in the industry overall. You're knocking out one implementation project at company A for 2-3 weeks then onto the next at company B, etc. Constant exposure to new technologies & new problems to troubleshoot. Also a good VAR will usually pay for you to stack as many certs as you can so they can bill you out to more clients.

One of my former managers went this route before he became the network manager for a midsize bank at 31. I used to wonder how dude always knew what to do and was never phased by anything that went wrong in the environment any given day yet he was still so young. He explained to me that because of all his years working with a VAR, after working on so many different environments, he had pretty much seen a lot of things before to the point where he hardly ever faced a problem he's never seen before.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the be all end all route to go. There are a lot of tradeoffs versus going the in-house IT admin route. While you most likely always make more money on the consulting side vs in-house operations, it is a lot tougher. Constant changes.. constantly studying for the next cert.. usually longer hours(some clients dont want you installing/configuring shyt in their environment during regular biz hours).. usually lots of travel (I was in fukkin south dakota last week :sadcam: and still have to go back next month :sadcam:), etc.

However, the amount of projects I have under my belt in just a year makes me much more experienced than a lot of senior admins simply because they're more focused on the day to day aspect of running things, putting out fires, and maintaining the same environment. They don't have time to keep up with new technology, which is why they call my company to come in and implement a new solution for them and then we train them on it afterwards.

I think the consulting route is worth the sacrifice early on IMO especially if you're younger and don't have a family or any commitments yet simply because of the amount of experience you gain. When I get older, family, kids, etc. I'll probably settle down into an admin or manager role at a company somewhere, and at that point I'll already have the skills & experience to justify them giving me a higher salary.

Ill just reiterate if you live in a major metro IT area on the east coast (plus places like houston, austin, cali, etc.) and you're spending more than a year in help desk you are doing it wrong.

tofuspeedstar

Bosozoku Champion
Daps
Reppin
Texas

Not really. Though my actual job title is Network Administrator, I still deal with the day to day desktop support stuff.

Not that I mind though, it's all simple and keeps me busy.

I pushed and pushed for it, we're finally testing out ticketing systems, my boss and I got tired of getting bombarded with e-mails from every business unit. :whew:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I keep telling y'all nikkas to get focused but nikkas is comfortable in mediocrity. The last two days I've put in about 14 hours of studying after getting home from work. By the end of that week I'll probably have 50 hours of studying time, while y'all cats is playing COD and bullshytting on the coli.

There's wild bread out there, must nikkas just too undisciplined to get it :manny:

I'll see y'all when I cop the Rari

breh, I dont even need any motivation and Im motivated by this post.lol. I keep telling ppl you have to live , breathe and eat this stuff to the point ppl will think you are insane. Glad to see a fellow brotha killing the IT game. We need more.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Another path you can take instead of the in-house sys/network admin day to day operations gig is to go into consulting at a VAR. It basically ends up being a great way to fast track on gaining experience. At a lot of VARs, the amount of projects & environments you work on in the span of just over a year, equates to the type of experience some in-house system/network admins gain in maybe 4 years.

You end up seeing tons of different environments, working with many different people (engineers, IT managers, top C-level folks, etc.), and you just learn how to handle yourself in the industry overall. You're knocking out one implementation project at company A for 2-3 weeks then onto the next at company B, etc. Constant exposure to new technologies & new problems to troubleshoot. Also a good VAR will usually pay for you to stack as many certs as you can so they can bill you out to more clients.

One of my former managers went this route before he became the network manager for a midsize bank at 31. I used to wonder how dude always knew what to do and was never phased by anything that went wrong in the environment any given day yet he was still so young. He explained to me that because of all his years working with a VAR, after working on so many different environments, he had pretty much seen a lot of things before to the point where he hardly ever faced a problem he's never seen before.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the be all end all route to go. There are a lot of tradeoffs versus going the in-house IT admin route. While you most likely always make more money on the consulting side vs in-house operations, it is a lot tougher. Constant changes.. constantly studying for the next cert.. usually longer hours(some clients dont want you installing/configuring shyt in their environment during regular biz hours).. usually lots of travel (I was in fukkin south dakota last week :sadcam: and still have to go back next month :sadcam:), etc.

However, the amount of projects I have under my belt in just a year makes me much more experienced than a lot of senior admins simply because they're more focused on the day to day aspect of running things, putting out fires, and maintaining the same environment. They don't have time to keep up with new technology, which is why they call my company to come in and implement a new solution for them and then we train them on it afterwards.

I think the consulting route is worth the sacrifice early on IMO especially if you're younger and don't have a family or any commitments yet simply because of the amount of experience you gain. When I get older, family, kids, etc. I'll probably settle down into an admin or manager role at a company somewhere, and at that point I'll already have the skills & experience to justify them giving me a higher salary.

Ill just reiterate if you live in a major metro IT area on the east coast (plus places like houston, austin, cali, etc.) and you're spending more than a year in help desk you are doing it wrong.

Wow this is some great insight breh. +rep. I feel like I could and would grind harder than the avg college grad or help desk dude and move a little quicker but I just need a plan. I don't stay at a job more than 1.5-2 years now so I'm having a hard time imagining being in a help desk role for years and years.

But... :guilty: what is a VAR? :dwillhuh: Also, obviously there is more contract work for people w/more skills/experience. But is there anything like that for someone lower on the totem pole? I'm guessing that's what a VAR is. I like the idea of bouncing around and basically freelancing. I've done that within companies and it's been the fastest way to gain skills.

Not really. Though my actual job title is Network Administrator, I still deal with the day to day desktop support stuff.

Not that I mind though, it's all simple and keeps me busy.

I pushed and pushed for it, we're finally testing out ticketing systems, my boss and I got tired of getting bombarded with e-mails from every business unit. :whew:

I def want to settle into a comfier role once I have all my shyt together. I am close with my IT guy and he makes 6 figures doing basically what I imagine a low level help desk dude does... setting up computers, helping people with email problems etc. Plus most of the problems he sees come from corporate IT, so he doesn't even have to do scripting and all that shyt. He seems bored though. But he has a family and all that so the low stress is probably a plus.

You work for a major company and don't have a ticketing system :dwillhuh: That shyt's a must