IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
It's the " it works for me " that all programmers are guilty of. For example at work I'm working on a framework in C# for automation All of our current frameworks are in vbscript , they are fighting me tooth and nail to not move away from vbscript because they are comfortable in it. It's literally all they know. Even though the industry is moving to Development languages for it.They are scared of C# learning curve or really any new language for that matter. I'm sure there are hardcore C programmers who don't want to move to any OOP language because C was the king in the 90's. A favorite language is like your kid.. Lol
Lol hell i used to work with COBOL programmers who were super straight on learning anything new.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Lol hell i used to work with COBOL programmers who were super straight on learning anything new.

Ahah. I thought about editing my post to include them. A couple of COBOL programmers sit near me. Feel like the 70's whenever I walk past them.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Ahah. I thought about editing my post to include them. A couple of COBOL programmers sit near me. Feel like the 70's whenever I walk past them.

Lol man hell half the dudes i worked with were in their late 60s and a few in 70s. The think is COBOL and Assembler are still used in the financial industry so there is a tiny talent pool since nobody teaches it anymore so dudes can make bank for a chill job instead of retiring.

One thing i will say that is sometimes discouraging as someone with less than 5 yrs experience is seeing all these jobs asking for people to have knowledge of totally different technology stacks. And in context you cant tell if they just want someone familiar with these things or an actual expert. My thing is Im not trying to get exposed and humiliated during some technical interview lol but its also overwhelming and damn near unrealistic to be able to know all this stuff that various jobs that have the same title ask for.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I need advice.

Thinking of putting in my 2 week notice in, I'm not in the it field but it's no growth and the travel is really far, also my income tax is coming back so I'll have a little under 4 grand saved up.

I need more time to read and get shyt done. I'm in a dead end desk job working with uneducated folks, I'm uneducated but in want more.

Salary is 32k a year ain't shyt for a man.

Thinking of doing armed security and some other shyt to free up time.

With this schedule I can't even attend class. Inget home too late.

My a+ ain't helping shyt too. Should I quit and just walk away from this? Ive been learning html and udemy. Got a couple ccna books and a n+ book.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I need advice.

Thinking of putting in my 2 week notice in, I'm not in the it field but it's no growth and the travel is really far, also my income tax is coming back so I'll have a little under 4 grand saved up.

I need more time to read and get shyt done. I'm in a dead end desk job working with uneducated folks, I'm uneducated but in want more.

My a+ ain't helping shyt too. Should I quit and just walk away from this? Ive been learning html and udemy. Got a couple ccna books and a n+ book.

No need to quit anything unless you already have something lined up. Try to browse for jobs that would give you free time so that you can study. They might not pay great, but your key is that you will need free time.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I need advice.

Look up Apple At Home Advisor jobs.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps
Now doing cloud native apps......

Company just spent 22 mil on Pivotal Cloud foundry.....

Using spring boot...no more tomcat in QA ..:wow:

Im one of the most versatile developers on my portfolio now

Already integrated AppDynamics with Cloud foundry as a POC and gave it to the Architects to give to other teams so they wont have to "google" or ask anyone how to do it.......:mjlol:

Lead dev status coming soon......even though Im already paid like one :mjpls:

Bout to hit them over the head this summer for the pay increase....:wow:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Now doing cloud native apps......

Company just spent 22 mil on Pivotal Cloud foundry.....

Using spring boot...no more tomcat in QA ..:wow:

Im one of the most versatile developers on my portfolio now

Already integrated AppDynamics with Cloud foundry as a POC and gave it to the Architects to give to other teams so they wont have to "google" or ask anyone how to do it.......:mjlol:

Lead dev status coming soon......even though Im already paid like one :mjpls:

Bout to hit them over the head this summer for the pay increase....:wow:
:feedme:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
It's the " it works for me " that all programmers are guilty of. For example at work I'm working on a framework in C# for automation All of our current frameworks are in vbscript , they are fighting me tooth and nail to not move away from vbscript because they are comfortable in it. It's literally all they know. Even though the industry is moving to Development languages for it.They are scared of C# learning curve or really any new language for that matter. I'm sure there are hardcore C programmers who don't want to move to any OOP language because C was the king in the 90's. A favorite language is like your kid.. Lol

I quite enjoy learning new languages, but I figured I needed to chill on that for a while, produce something practical, and once I get a job, I can go back to my language explorations. I really want to dig into data structures and algorithms and design patterns more than anything. C# is something I can't wait to pick up just for Unity. Then I'll get to Java. I thought about Python for a while especially after getting hit up with some job offer that paid a lot of money, but I don't think I'm too interested in going the machine learning and data science route. I'll probably spend more time with it, but the basics aren't too much different than Ruby from what I've seen.

Code complete 2 is a book I want to complete as well.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
No need to quit anything unless you already have something lined up. Try to browse for jobs that would give you free time so that you can study. They might not pay great, but your key is that you will need free time.

ain't getting no job with my resume, need skills... which takes time...

applying for a couple years now

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
How do y'all cats go to work and sit in a cubical every damn day? :scusthov: shyts borderline slavery :huhldup:

I don't think I can work another job that's not at least 80% remote.
I don't mind the sitting down in a cubical. It allows me to get up and bother someone when I have a question. I enjoy interfacing with people face to face to figure out the problem. It basically fills up my social quota, lol. Its also alot more comfortable to me to actually physically interact with someone vs just talk on the phone. Its the reading of people as well as being able to manipulate the same space, such as a white board. Luckily, I haven't been part of the "Filled up outlook with useless meetings, now must stay for another 4 hrs to actually get work done" group.

Plus, i get my ass to the gym or a join intramural leagues, so I'm at least delaying my :flabbynsick:, lol

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
I quite enjoy learning new languages, but I figured I needed to chill on that for a while, produce something practical, and once I get a job, I can go back to my language explorations. I really want to dig into data structures and algorithms and design patterns more than anything. C# is something I can't wait to pick up just for Unity. Then I'll get to Java. I thought about Python for a while especially after getting hit up with some job offer that paid a lot of money, but I don't think I'm too interested in going the machine learning and data science route. I'll probably spend more time with it, but the basics aren't too much different than Ruby from what I've seen.

Code complete 2 is a book I want to complete as well.

Breh it's a never ending journey. One day I want to do game programming , the next it's robotic programming. Like I could easily do both for a living. But I cannot make up my mind... Lol I have about 5 programming books I need to read.. I need to find a way to live on 3 hours of sleep..

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Breh it's a never ending journey. One day I want to do game programming , the next it's robotic programming. Like I could easily do both for a living. But I cannot make up my mind... Lol I have about 5 programming books I need to read.. I need to find a way to live on 3 hours of sleep..

That's my problem. I literally have hundreds of programming books and a couple hundred courses on udemy. It's really hard to focus on one aspect. I want to do the full stack development, but then I want to do game development. What I will likely do is merge all of that into making a game in the browser using the full stack lol

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
That's my problem. I literally have hundreds of programming books and a couple hundred courses on udemy. It's really hard to focus on one aspect. I want to do the full stack development, but then I want to do game development. What I will likely do is merge all of that into making a game in the browser using the full stack lol
Same here, but I'm 100% committed to this game dev life. But I think I'll do app dev on the side, cause there's just something about talking to somebody about what they want and putting together a system that does that.