IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
have you thought about volunteering at a place for a few hours a day?

There are something called white lies on resumes....if you can lab it up like a real production network, you can add some spice to your resume.

Post your current resume( with no name and contact info) I'm sure someone out here can help.
If you are looking for computer technician job...I will take apart a cheap working PC and put it back together..

In my current job they had me do certain tasks on a live network when I came in for an interview....the era of lying your way to a job seems to be over.

The corporate folks done catch up :to:

do you still have that job? Or did you lose it after your hobby of being a sellout c00n? :troll:

hope to hear a response

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Ok can yall be straight up with me and no bullshytting....

When i start the help desk position after getting my A+, how long on average does it take to earn the 40 K?

I know at the start you get paid on average like $12 or something but how long on average do i have to hold on to get 40K/

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Ok can yall be straight up with me and no bullshytting....

When i start the help desk position after getting my A+, how long on average does it take to earn the 40 K?

I know at the start you get paid on average like $12 or something but how long on average do i have to hold on to get 40K/
Til you accept a job willing to pay that.

Some jobs gonna try to rape you and some jobs gonna break you off

Depends on location in most cases

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I got an email response about a job app I sent in. Getting a response on the weekend always makes the company look a little sketchy to me. In this case, the email was from the COO of the company. I knew they were small when I applied, but they don't have an HR person. Not 1?

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
I got an email response about a job app I sent in. Getting a response on the weekend always makes the company look a little sketchy to me. In this case, the email was from the COO of the company. I knew they were small when I applied, but they don't have an HR person. Not 1?

sounds like a startup?

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Download CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide - 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802).pdf Gooner Torrent - Kickass Torrents

51GO%2BsxPFrL.jpg

So I just downloaded the torrent for this book...

Gonna go ham with the studying right away while saving up the $200...and then the next month schedule a test date...

Then im gonna knock out the CCNA since its very coveted by those who are looking for help desk employees since it gives you an advantage over other applicants....

The Microsoft certs are still confusing me...

I discussed with @bdizzle personally with this already but I wanted to ask others a question. My plan is to use the 40K minimum salary whenever I do start getting it(hopefully in a short time after these certs) to go back to 4 year college and major in electrical engineering...

can yall tell me personally...if you were me would you just go ahead and get the bachelors in electrical engineering and possibly masters...or do you think its smarter to just keep getting CERTS?

PS.

While reading through this thread I see talk about certs"expiring" and needing to be renewed every couple of years. Am I misunderstanding that? Cause I want to show the cert/certs I end up getting as a form of achievement for people to look at but would feel funny if the second one goes up it isn't valid anymore..

so did i misunderstand the talk about certs being only used for a short time?

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Download CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide - 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802).pdf Gooner Torrent - Kickass Torrents

51GO%2BsxPFrL.jpg

So I just downloaded the torrent for this book...

Gonna go ham with the studying right away while saving up the $200...and then the next month schedule a test date...

Then im gonna knock out the CCNA since its very coveted by those who are looking for help desk employees since it gives you an advantage over other applicants....

The Microsoft certs are still confusing me...

I discussed with @bdizzle personally with this already but I wanted to ask others a question. My plan is to use the 40K minimum salary whenever I do start getting it(hopefully in a short time after these certs) to go back to 4 year college and major in electrical engineering...

can yall tell me personally...if you were me would you just go ahead and get the bachelors in electrical engineering and possibly masters...or do you think its smarter to just keep getting CERTS?

PS.

While reading through this thread I see talk about certs"expiring" and needing to be renewed every couple of years. Am I misunderstanding that? Cause I want to show the cert/certs I end up getting as a form of achievement for people to look at but would feel funny if the second one goes up it isn't valid anymore..

so did i misunderstand the talk about certs being only used for a short time?

Certs usually have expiration dates. Depending on the cert its usually 3-5 years. Taking another exam will renew your certification. Assuming you want to do IT as a career, then you don't really have to worry about it as you'll be taking exams as you grow in your career.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Also if you're ultimate goal is to go to college and be an engineer, then follow your dreams. Use IT as a plan B, that's how I do it. The money I make at my job I use to fund my businesses. Once I'm making enough money on my own, I'm throwing IT all the way in the bushes :banderas:

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Passed my CCNA in June which landed me an OK job.
I duno what my next move is tho, really like the idea of Unified Comms
My new job will have me doing some managed network stuff so we'll see

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Passed my CCNA in June which landed me an OK job.
I duno what my next move is tho, really like the idea of Unified Comms
My new job will have me doing some managed network stuff so we'll see
What was your job title/experience before you grabbed your ccna? and how did the job hunt go?

I got mine last week and I got 2 phone interviews lined up for this week, one for a lvl 2 helpdesk position and another for a lvl 1 NOC position.. I'm wondering what kinda questions to expect :lupe:

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What was your job title/experience before you grabbed your ccna? and how did the job hunt go?

I got mine last week and I got 2 phone interviews lined up for this week, one for a lvl 2 helpdesk position and another for a lvl 1 NOC position.. I'm wondering what kinda questions to expect :lupe:

Coming from a help desk role, was doing Android based stuff, no networking at all. However I took on alot at my current job so my sheer list of responsibilites is what I think landed me interviews.

I got asked a few questions on the OSI model and how I would go about troubleshooting some basic issues.

If they ask u about what your familiar with make sure you KNOW it before you speak on it as they will ask questions off the back of what you say.

Also mentioned I had a home lab. I dont.:troll:

The job I actually landed was the most chill interview ever, he just asked for an overview of what I learned and how I would troubleshoot. Then we spoke about Android vs Apple for like 20 mins:ehh:

If its entry level, dont sweat too much, mostly customer service type questions as alot of the roles involve phones and dealing with tickets

I imagine the NOC they gonna probe on routing protocols so just be able to talk through the process of OSPF and EIGRP

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Hey brehs it's been a minute since I posted in here. Since my last posting I've started college with MIS as my major (the school just changed the name of it to Business Information Technology this summer). I don't want to just depend on that though I want to start reading and trying to get some of the basic certs under my belt. What books do you recommend? Daps and rep for help.