IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Not really. My tech-lead at my first job out of college went to University of Phoenix and he was a CCIE Voice. Being in Baltimore you are in a good enough location to have plenty of job prospects from Bmore down to Richmond.

How many years in are you? Start working towards a cert in your desired area so you'll have that on your resume with your degree. They'll be like "did you get that as part of your school program or in your free-time", and you can hit them with getting it done in your free-time and that'll get you extra points.

Just started this semester. I'll probably finish the program in 2017. The thing is I don't know which certs to get, should I get the basic stuff everyone has like A+ or go for the harder stuff? (I want to be a Network Engineer btw). I obviously don't want to get a cert while I'm in school and have it expire before I graduate.

Romell

Superstar
Daps
Just started this semester. I'll probably finish the program in 2017. The thing is I don't know which certs to get, should I get the basic stuff everyone has like A+ or go for the harder stuff? (I want to be a Network Engineer btw). I obviously don't want to get a cert while I'm in school and have it expire before I graduate.
Yeah I'd wait until your last year that way you'll know were you want to be and have the knowledge to support.

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution
t wasn't even at a customer. I said she's really Ifukking mad, at the coworker I was transferring a call to and they said It's auto firing. :beli:
youre-fired.gif

Mook my man I hate it, had to be him :sadcam:

semtex

:)
Daps
6 month mark approaching this month aka the end of my contract :noah: hope they keep me, I been doing good work and they seem really impressed. Plus my apartment lease is for a year, need that $$ coming in.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
6 month mark approaching this month aka the end of my contract :noah: hope they keep me, I been doing good work and they seem really impressed. Plus my apartment lease is for a year, need that $$ coming in.

I usually wouldn't say this because I believe some game is to be sold and not told. But fukk it, I'm going to do my good deed for today...

NEVER have yourself in a desperate situation where you're "hoping" someone keeps you. This shyt is mutual dude, as in, they should be worrying about whether or not YOU will stay with them. The world ain't overflowing with an abundance of GOOD developers. The key to every great tech team is consistency, so they don't want to have a lot of turnover, especially with GOOD employees. You've been there for 6 months so you should have gained some-type of good work experience you can speak on. You need to be updating your resume and looking at/considering new opportunities (even if you decide to stay with them) so no matter what happens (budget issues, etc.), you're straight. Every 6 months I have my ear to the streets to see what's out there and how the pay is trending so I can gauge where I'm at currently and what my future moves will be (whether it's adding new skills or whatever). Don't be one of those cats that don't know his worth and be sitting around nervous, waiting for someone to make a decision on you (unless you're an average or trash developer whose just trying to maintain).

Last edited:

semtex

Daps
I usually wouldn't say this because I believe some game is to be sold and not told. But fukk it, I'm going to do my good deed for today...

NEVER have yourself in a desperate situation where you're "hoping" someone keeps you. This shyt is mutual dude, as in, they should be worrying about whether or not YOU will stay with them. The world ain't overflowing with an abundance of GOOD developers. The key to every great tech team is consistency, so they don't want to have a lot of turnover, especially with GOOD employees. You've been there for 6 months so you should have gained some-type of good work experience you can speak on. You need to be updating your resume and looking at/considering new opportunities (even if you decide to stay with them) so no matter what happens (budget issues, etc.), you're straight. Every 6 months I have my ear to the streets to see what's out there and how the pay is trending so I can gauge where I'm at currently and what my future moves will be (whether it's adding new skills or whatever). Don't be one of those cats that don't know his worth and be sitting around nervous, waiting for someone to make a decision on you (unless you're an average or trash developer whose just trying to maintain).
Found out this morning they're extending my contract and might make me FTE :takedat:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

Exactly. These companies aren't your friend. They may be friendly, but it's mostly to keep you around when they are paying you less than you are worth. Something I learned is if you are competent, for the most part, your higher ups will leave you alone and be friendly to you. If you are incompetent, they will constantly mess with you up on your job. But even with that said, if things get tough, they will can you and not think twice. They don't care what you have going on in your life and how much you need money, etc. If they believe they can save a buck by hiring someone else, they'll can you too... so being buddies with these companies thinking they are loyal to you will only result in you being underpaid, and when things get tough, they most likely WILL can you if it helps them out. If you wait for someone else to make moves for you, you will always be getting the sorry end of the deal.

semtex

Daps
Exactly. These companies aren't your friend. They may be friendly, but it's mostly to keep you around when they are paying you less than you are worth. Something I learned is if you are competent, for the most part, your higher ups will leave you alone and be friendly to you. If you are incompetent, they will constantly mess with you up on your job. But even with that said, if things get tough, they will can you and not think twice. They don't care what you have going on in your life and how much you need money, etc. If they believe they can save a buck by hiring someone else, they'll can you too... so being buddies with these companies thinking they are loyal to you will only result in you being underpaid, and when things get tough, they most likely WILL can you if it helps them out. If you wait for someone else to make moves for you, you will always be getting the sorry end of the deal.
Brb nailing assignments that principal devs have trouble with :takedat:

G-Zeus

G-Zeus Chrystler...the brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsident evil
is "Tech Lead" really a good title?

that's my current tittle.. ended on my lap 1 month after i started my new job.. i outperformed the old tech lead..

no extra $ tho technically i got 12k bonus more.. but no yearly extra

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brehs I have a interview next week for this gig. What do you think this entails

• Provides premier customer service to internal and external customers by responding to requests in a timely and professional manner. Manages all network and computer application security profiles, including user access admission, file
    management, resource sharing, and system security. Performs security audits and safeguarding of equipment and system passwords.
  • Provide general administrative support to the IT Director, including preparation of forms, letters, memos, global emails, reports and presentations. Supports analysis
    for purchased software and departmental systems and participates in the
    procurement process by writing purchase orders and requisitions, developing detailed specifications for procurements, evaluating vendors, and serving as a
    liaison with vendors. Provides night and weekend support for emergencies, and
    remains on call as needed.
  • Serves as primary analyst for city-wide computer applications, participating in all phases of their purchase, implementation, training, and operation. Performs routine work-flow analysis in the departments to determine best practices for implementation and change, with emphasis on the effective utilization of city information systems or other IT to improve organizational performance. Serves as primary analyst for city-wide computer applications, participating in all phases of their purchase, implementation, training, and operation. Performs routine work- flow analysis in the departments to determine best practices for implementation and change, with emphasis on the effective utilization of city information systems or other IT to improve organizational performance.
  • Coordinates the City's computer asset management program, maintaining an inventory of assets, tracking all service calls made on these assets, and
    determining a routine program for replacing assets. Also coordinates IT records management program, ensuring compliance with state mandates and city policy, maintaining records using computer and optical disk systems.
  • Supports and sometimes performs departmental application development.
    Works with city users to determine and evaluate departmental requests for system enhancements and modifications, and oversees and implements enhancements/modifications as appropriate. Coordinates application enhancements to existing computer systems, including analysis and design specifications. Directs and supports development of program documentation and proper file management techniques.
  • Requires regular attendance.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Brehs I have a interview next week for this gig. What do you think this entails

• Provides premier customer service to internal and external customers by responding to requests in a timely and professional manner. Manages all network and computer application security profiles, including user access admission, file
    management, resource sharing, and system security. Performs security audits and safeguarding of equipment and system passwords.
  • Provide general administrative support to the IT Director, including preparation of forms, letters, memos, global emails, reports and presentations. Supports analysis
    for purchased software and departmental systems and participates in the
    procurement process by writing purchase orders and requisitions, developing detailed specifications for procurements, evaluating vendors, and serving as a
    liaison with vendors. Provides night and weekend support for emergencies, and
    remains on call as needed.
  • Serves as primary analyst for city-wide computer applications, participating in all phases of their purchase, implementation, training, and operation. Performs routine work-flow analysis in the departments to determine best practices for implementation and change, with emphasis on the effective utilization of city information systems or other IT to improve organizational performance. Serves as primary analyst for city-wide computer applications, participating in all phases of their purchase, implementation, training, and operation. Performs routine work- flow analysis in the departments to determine best practices for implementation and change, with emphasis on the effective utilization of city information systems or other IT to improve organizational performance.
  • Coordinates the City's computer asset management program, maintaining an inventory of assets, tracking all service calls made on these assets, and
    determining a routine program for replacing assets. Also coordinates IT records management program, ensuring compliance with state mandates and city policy, maintaining records using computer and optical disk systems.
  • Supports and sometimes performs departmental application development.
    Works with city users to determine and evaluate departmental requests for system enhancements and modifications, and oversees and implements enhancements/modifications as appropriate. Coordinates application enhancements to existing computer systems, including analysis and design specifications. Directs and supports development of program documentation and proper file management techniques.
  • Requires regular attendance.

What's the job title?

From the description it sounds like more of a administrative/business-type role than a technical role. That isn't necessarily a bad thing if that's what you want to do, though.