IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
It just depends on what you're doing. If you're a DBA you don't have to be the best SQl coder but you'll have to know and understand the ins and outs of database maintenance, security, data modeling, query tuning, and all of that stuff. If you're a SQL developer then you should be able to write complex scripts, build tables, know about data modeling, and how to develop reports, etc. If you're a Data Analyst or something then you should be able to write SQL as well (but I've seen people in data analyst positions that could barely write SQL, SMH, so it just varies).

I'd say if you understand these things below:

1. The clauses...SELECT, FROM, WHERE, GROUP BY, HAVING, ORDER BY
2. Inner Join, Left Join, Right Join
3. Sub Queries
4. Stored Procedures
5. Variables
6. Different Functions
8. Unions
9. Aggregates (Count, Sum, Min, Max, etc)
10. Data Types (Integer, decimal, varchar, char, date, timestamp, etc.)

Your're golden and somebody will hire you. And from there, it's pretty much based on self-learning and getting better by expanding that knowledge working on different projects at work.

Appreciate the knowledge. SQL will definitely come in useful

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have been thinking about a career change from construction which I only did because it paid good for easy work to a it career. What is the best way about going education wise? Is it better to go to a 4 year or community college or a school like ITT Tech?

Edit: I was looking into the data analysis field if that helps

Last edited:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I have been thinking about a career change from construction which I only did because it paid good for easy work to a it career. What is the best way about going education wise? Is it better to go to a 4 year or community college or a school like ITT Tech?

Stay farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr away from schools like devry and ITT tech

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

If you're trying to be a data analyst, learn SQL and Microsoft Excel. There are more than enough online resouces if you search. Also, do some research on the latest tools/technologies data analyst are using. Maybe take some SQL-related courses or find a good college program to get into.

Skillz

Rookie
Daps
Trying to get in the data analysis field myself. I know SQL, Excel and some R, Python, & C. My location is holding me back (& lack of experience) may have to just say fukk it & relocate.

flipn50

Pro
Daps
Trying to get in the data analysis field myself. I know SQL, Excel and some R, Python, & C. My location is holding me back (& lack of experience) may have to just say fukk it & relocate.

Austin Tx might be a good place for you.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL

Where do you live? SQL, Excel, and some R should be enough to get your foot in the door as an entry level Data Analyst

Skillz

Rookie
Daps
Upstate SC. 2 hours from ATL & Charlotte. I think I'll eventually end up in one of those 2 places. Just want to start local breh.
I've peeped that ATL & Charlotte market :whoo:

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Been studying for the security+ cert. Been thinking about starting a firm with a couple of, brehs.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Upstate SC. 2 hours from ATL & Charlotte. I think I'll eventually end up in one of those 2 places. Just want to start local breh.
I've peeped that ATL & Charlotte market :whoo:

The Charlotte job market is garbage unless you work for those major banks. Atlanta or Raleigh, NC has much better job prospects in my opinion.

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
:lupe:

So I want to get into this field brehs.. Where should I start?

I graduated last May with one of the most worthless degrees out here..
Multidisciplinary Studies. :snoop:
As you can imagine, employers haven't been knocking down my door so I'm thinking I need a change sooner than later.

I'm very interested in pursuing the cyber security space. Should I go back to school for this. My local community college has a 2 year program for cyber security.
Or would I be better off studying on my own and then taking the cert exams? Any advice would be appreciated.