IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
are you ok? what's with the smileys? this rambling response and extra assumptions your adding to my very easy to read post are weird. take a deep breath and read carefully.

i'm going to break down my response for you because i don't think you understood
1. you said a masters degree would make it difficult to get a non-management job outside of a person's current company.
your exact quote: You should know that a masters degree is going to make it hard for you to get another IT job outside of your company if it isn't in management.

here is one example of a job listing that specifically lists a masters degree as a requirement AND is not a management job:

https://www.healthitjobs.com/job-details/business-analyst/new-york/new-york-city/jobid-7555/

This is a business analyst job that is mostly dealing with requirements gathering and working with developers in delivering whatever the job description lists.
This is one example of a job that 1. requires a masters degree and 2. is not management

· Highly Desired Requirements:
Master's degree in Biomedical Informatics, Business, Public Health, Computer Science, or a related field.

here is completely diff job in a different city :

https://windriver.tms.hrdepartment....&site_id=148&view_language=en-US&referrer=102

Education:
  • BSCS/BSCE/BSEE or Equivalent.
  • Masters degree is an asset.
and one more for good measure:
https://jobs3.netmedia1.com/cp/faces/job_summary?job_id=SWG-0653599

Preferred

• Master's Degree in Information Technology

Those are 3 completely different examples of jobs at different coasts that
a) are not management jobs
b) require or prefer a masters degree

follow the logic:
a) a person is at company A.
b) company B, C and D have job postings for non management jobs that prefer a masters degree
c) conclusion: there are non-management jobs at other companies that require or prefer a candidate with a masters degree.

that's how easily deductive logic works, and how easily your statements are proven wrong.

is that easier for you to understand? I hope this was clear and you don't go off rambling about "fantasy lands" or making incorrect blanket statements alluding to masters degrees basically being useless or detrimental to one's job search outside of their current company.

sfgiants hit it right on the head. IT isnt just networking jobs, sysadmin jobs and windows server jobs!!! Its a huge space. Those that continue to think its just those traditional IT roles are the ones that will be struggling and be left behind. Those that have embraced new roles are poised to be very successful. And those new roles, many of them a masters helps, not hurts.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
This Information Technology Masters talk is interesting. What does one do in a computer engineering or computer science Master's program? I always figured it was something like creating some extremely efficient algorithm for graphics or artifical intelligence. Maybe even building out a new language. I've rarely encountered job positions, and much less, technical colleagues who have a masters degree in any IT related field.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
sfgiants hit it right on the head. IT isnt just networking jobs, sysadmin jobs and windows server jobs!!! Its a huge space. Those that continue to think its just those traditional IT roles are the ones that will be struggling and be left behind. Those that have embraced new roles are poised to be very successful. And those new roles, many of them a masters helps, not hurts.

The same shyt I was saying. To hear a cat in here telling someone NOT to get a Masters is mindblowing in a sense LMAO.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Realistically, brehs..

I'm looking to make a career change but in the most expedient way possible...

That is: an AS at the local Community College. Given that I've already got an AA from there I can probably get another AS in 1.5 years tops.

My question is, though. What kind of employment can I get with an AS in Database Management? How much can I expect to make?

I'm also considering an AS to become a Radiologist. That job pays about 50k..

Daps
Realistically, brehs..

That is: an AS at the local Community College. Given that I've already got an AA from there I can probably get another AS in 1.5 years tops.

My question is, though. What kind of employment can I get with an AS in Database Management? How much can I expect to make?

depends on how good you are. An AS isnt going to really help you unless those classes teach you the skills to be a good DBA. So you will need certs or good db skills short term to get your foot in the door. A BS might change things. But i dont often see jobs asking for an AS.

If your trying to get your foot in the door quick, focus on getting the skills, certs and your foot in the door, then work on adding a BS and more certs.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How long did it take to learn java se 7 programmer for the cert exam?

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
recruiter wasting my time :camby:telling me about this job which is supposed to be some IT job he's called me twice in two weeks but still has not even sent me over the job specifications :aicmon: on friday he called me and wanted to setup an interview next week. Im sending his ass a email today demanding the job specs im not wasting my time going to an interview for i job i dont even want, although the company would look great on my cv (top 3 company in the world) and the salary is a 6k increase when i leave where im currently at im looking for a serious step up

GASign

All Star
Daps
I got some basic certs and got on w/ a big company. With that I was pulling a nice bit of change (untaxed too) since its overseas. Now that the company done lost they contract after a loooong loooong run, this ol new faq company done hit my check hard. However, they been f'n up even before they got on the ground so the old company may be back in shortly. The degree I got really ain't nothing to them either. They mostly about certifications. There's always gonna be room in the IT field.

Now when i come back to the states, it might be time to look into another dept. of the IT industry....

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Realistically, brehs..

If you don't have at least a Bachelors Degree you'll be excluded from many higher paying jobs. I would try and find a school where you can take those credits from your Associates Degree and use them towards a Bachelors. Companies could care less about Associate Degrees these days. IT Certifications are easily worth more than any Associate Degree.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
If you don't have at least a Bachelors Degree you'll be excluded from many higher paying jobs. I would try and find a school where you can take those credits from your Associates Degree and use them towards a Bachelors. Companies could care less about Associate Degrees these days. IT Certifications are easily worth more than any Associate Degree.

I have a bachelor's but not in IT, obviously.

It sounds to me like I'd be best off getting the AS (for learning the basics) then just focus on getting Certs.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have a bachelor's but not in IT, obviously.

It sounds to me like I'd be best off getting the AS (for learning the basics) then just focus on getting Certs.

My Bachelors isn't in IT either. If you want to know which direction to take just do a job search on Indeed.com using either a Bachelors or Associate degree.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
This IT University online groupon pretty dope. Much better than the book